Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 10:38 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This is just wrong. All weather tires perform way way WAY worse than winter tires.

@OP
It depends also on where you live in MA. If you live in Boston urban area is one thing. If you live on a minor road outside 495 it's a very different thing.

Personally if it wasn't for snow tries I would be stuck at home a few days at year, with snow tires I am never stuck at home. Also the handling of the car is just not comparable and it makes you feel much much safer.
Are 'all weather tires' just regular tires?
I live on a cut-through type road off of 'Boston Post Road'/ Rt 20, but the driveway is wicked long

Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
[quote=5pyg1a55;59480688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
IWhat brand/model are your tires specifically. /QUOTE]

Michelin Premier A/S
205/55R16 91H
Treadware: 640
Traction: A
Temp: A
Those are decent tires overall, but average performance (for an all-season) in snow. You might be better served getting some dedicated snow tires given your location in metrowest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post

All-weather = all-season tires.

Basically a jack of all trades, master of none. They don't have the supreme grip of a summer performance tires, nor the snow performance of a winter compound tire. They are made to be able to be used when it's 0 degrees out, and 100 degrees out, while offering a tread design that tries to get max performance from dry, wet and snow driving. It will never be as good as a true snow tires, or a true performance tire. These tires are made from different types of rubber. FOr instance, drive a summer performance tires under 40 degrees and it's like driving on glass. Very dangerous due to lack of grip. However, in 80 degree temps, they are like glue. They also wear in 20k miles while all-seasons made froma different compound can go 60-80K miles. A little more than you were asking for in terms of tire info.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:53 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
I have an awd SUV and I still have snow tires. If you drive at all during storms or before the road really gets cleared off they are essential. Snow tires help with turning and stopping distance in cold weather due to the composition of the tire.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:47 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
[quote=BostonMike7;59480773]
Quote:

Those are decent tires overall, but average performance (for an all-season) in snow. You might be better served getting some dedicated snow tires given your location in metrowest.

All-weather = all-season tires.

Basically a jack of all trades, master of none. They don't have the supreme grip of a summer performance tires, nor the snow performance of a winter compound tire. They are made to be able to be used when it's 0 degrees out, and 100 degrees out, while offering a tread design that tries to get max performance from dry, wet and snow driving. It will never be as good as a true snow tires, or a true performance tire. These tires are made from different types of rubber. FOr instance, drive a summer performance tires under 40 degrees and it's like driving on glass. Very dangerous due to lack of grip. However, in 80 degree temps, they are like glue. They also wear in 20k miles while all-seasons made froma different compound can go 60-80K miles. A little more than you were asking for in terms of tire info.
Thanks you all, for all for all this info- It is much appreciated. No such thing as too much info

So I am in a position where -if I had to- I could stay indoors for several days in an emergency. The car has front wheel drive. Is it possible to 'get away with' putting snow tires just on the fronts?

Old 10-23-2020, 12:25 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
In general, I would say no. However, I do put snow tires on my truck and my wife's SUV.

That's mainly because we don't ever want to be in a situation where our mobility is limited.

It also extends the life of the standard tires so the cost of buying a second set of wheels and snow tires is somewhat offset by that.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Is it possible to 'get away with' putting snow tires just on the fronts?
I would never do that. It may work fine most of the time but during a hard stop or black ice situation you'll lose control due to the differing levels of grip each type of tire has. You'll also wear out one half of your summer tires.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Yes. When you go to a store a buy a random set of tires is all-weather/season 99%. If you want specific summer or winter tires you need to ask.

BTW, on youtube there are plenty of snow tires vs all-season tires. Those can give you an idea of why and when snow tires are good to have.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:41 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Don’t install just two snow tires. Don’t mix tires in a general rule. If you have all seasons on the rear, in a panic braking situation the rear will have less grip and could possibly come around on you as the back end of the car tries to overtake the front.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Don’t install just two snow tires. Don’t mix tires in a general rule. If you have all seasons on the rear, in a panic braking situation the rear will have less grip and could possibly come around on you as the back end of the car tries to overtake the front.
To be fair, on a FWD vehicle is nearly a non-issue due to OEM front/rear braking proportions. RWD only? Buy 4 snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts