Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
To be fair, on a FWD vehicle is nearly a non-issue due to OEM front/rear braking proportions. RWD only? Buy 4 snows.
You're going to need to elaborate as i'm not following that logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 01:12 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
If you have all-seasons, they'll do ok but not great. Winters will grip better, but if you drive conservatively and on plowed roads all-seasons will do.

If you have summer performance, for the love of all that's holy either remove them and put winter tires on or garage the car for the winter. I once had my summer performances on still after a freak snowstorm I wasn't expecting and it was like driving on smooth glass. Couldn't even easily get out of my parking spot.

On the flip side, if you do get winters, don't drive on them in the summer. Keep two sets: one summer/all-season, one winter

Old 10-23-2020, 01:58 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You're going to need to elaborate as i'm not following that logic.
A FWD OEM setup, brake bias is almost all to the fronts. Weight distribution is usually around 60/40 too. The entire car is setup to understeer in almost all conditions. They are set up so basically the rear tires are there to hold the rear end up.

Front only snow tires are OK on FWD. Not great, but OK.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:13 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
No. Most cars now are equipped with all-season tires and most are either front wheel or all-wheel drive.
But not all . Mine came from the factory with summer tires - Imperial put all seasons on.

After those wore out in 30k, I went with summer and snows on steelies.

OP; I'll put what I put in your automotive post
Quote:
Go to a junkyard, get the smallest wheels that fit on your car. Don't know the age of your Civic, so you'll have to do some research for options. Smaller wheel diameter tires are cheaper and will perform better in the snow - you want more sidewall in the winter. you'll have to find a place to keep the off-season tires, although Town Faire Tire used to offer storage if you buy winter tires there.
Cause you said Boston Post Road and 495, I'm going to guess Northborough/Marlborough/Berlin/Hudson. Pretty hilly area! Get snow tires . Once I got stuck on Route 9 going up the hill from US-20 westbound. It's not much of a hill, but my Miata with old all seasons didn't have the grip to do anything but spin going up that hill.

Depending on the year of your car and you've got 16", smaller might or might not work - checking the spare might be quickest. The manual might have a section on snow tires and what size they suggest (Ford has a section for my Fiesta ST, but as I said, they put summer tires on at the factory).

Now are they absolutely necessary? No. I grew up in Michigan with all seasons (and summer tires on AWD sports cars). I've lived here for 8 years only only had snow tires for 3: otherwise I've had all seasons on FWD or all seasons on a Miata and a RWD Volvo. If you don't live on top of a hill, and only travel main roads you should be fine. When we get a couple feet of snow, you won't be going to work anyway! But snows will make driving in the winter much less white-knuckle.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:18 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
west or north of rt 495 snows a nice . on side streets in the city lots of folks need a push out of parking spaces.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:20 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
All weather tires work fine usually. Just carry floor mats and cat litter in case you get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
. Once I got stuck on Route 9 going up the hill from US-20 westbound. It's not much of a hill, but my Miata with old all seasons didn't have the grip to do anything but spin going up that hill.

I had that happen once on a hill in NH because I slowed down too much. I went to the bottom and built up some speed and made if fine.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:49 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
A FWD OEM setup, brake bias is almost all to the fronts. Weight distribution is usually around 60/40 too. The entire car is setup to understeer in almost all conditions. They are set up so basically the rear tires are there to hold the rear end up.

Weight distribution of a vehicle goes right out the window in panic brake situations. In that situation, under heavy braking, most of the weight of the vehicle is all on the front tires, and the rear end gets very light. That's basic physics. WIth tires with poor grip, that can lead to a loss of traction which can spin the vehicle out. I always throw my best tires on the rear.

Most tire shops will put NEW tires on the rear, or ask you to sign a waiver. I've had this happen a few times.

Pretty good video here demonstrating this with a FWD car.
https://www.allstate.com/blog/new-tires-rear/

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-23-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2020, 04:16 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:

...until you hit the brakes on black ice and the car spins.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:41 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
All weather tire are not all season tires. All weather tires have the snowflake and mountain symbol denoting that they have been tested to work in snow. They can be used all year round.

Winter tires should go on all 4 tires and never just on the fronts. A FWD car with better traction on the front will simply whip the rear around.

Since you have the option to WFH during weather events, stick with the all season tires. I live NW of Boston and travel in my job. I use winter tires as I'll encounter snow up north on a regular basis. The vast majority of folks in metro Boston use all seasons.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
All season, radial tires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts