Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That was MSP not Boston police. Which also makes me wonder why not cut MSP OT budget as well. Or i guess they haven't gotten there yet.

There's just a massive witch hunt to make police miserable right now it seems based on the actions of the bad ones.
Wrong.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/n...e-fraud-scheme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 10:38 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Still vaping, bro?
are you that bored...BRO

Old 11-18-2020, 10:39 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts on Boston police overtime being cut as crime has been increasing in the area over the past year or so?

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ded-for-budget

Not to mention that anytime there is a riot, protest or people are celebrating in the streets this calls for more police OT.

Personally with all that's going on in the world right now I'm not sure why this is such a focus. I don't agree with police abusing overtime but that's not really what's happening here. No matter how much is taken away it will still be possible for cops to do overtime if they want.

Not sure what I think of civilians working construction details. I don't really have a problem with it I guess. In the end I just think things like this are going to deter people from wanting to be a police officer. There's so much negativity pointed at police right now that I can't imagine why anyone would want this career. I think more police are choosing to retire early and take their pension.
I think overtime by police is abused ... a lot. I know cops who basically live for the double shifts to make bank.

If there's that much of a shortage, they should be hiring more police rather than paying out overtime.

The negativity toward police won't change until police take the first step to solving it. Their authoritarian and militaristic approach toward handling the public is the cause of the negativity, so it's on them to put their hand out and re-build that trust and respect. If they continue to figuratively cross their arms and get cross until society pays them the respect they think they deserve, things will never improve. If more cops come onboard who look at the job as a service position rather than an authority position, then things will also begin to improve.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:47 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Right that was recent. The other OP said the last 5 years.

The Boston police OT thing seemed a little ridiculous. When you broke it down it seemed that each person got like an extra 2k for the year if that.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:48 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
If there truly is widespread OT abuse and fraud among the Boston Police Department, perhaps they should be going after that rather than merely "sticking it to them" and slicing the budget which will do zero to solve that problem.

The "authoritarian and militaristic approach" is laughable to me, from what I have seen they display an amazing amount of restraint in face of an increasingly hostile public. How long you actually lived in Boston for?

Old 11-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think overtime by police is abused ... a lot. I know cops who basically live for the double shifts to make bank.

If there's that much of a shortage, they should be hiring more police rather than paying out overtime.

The negativity toward police won't change until police take the first step to solving it. Their authoritarian and militaristic approach toward handling the public is the cause of the negativity, so it's on them to put their hand out and re-build that trust and respect. If they continue to figuratively cross their arms and get cross until society pays them the respect they think they deserve, things will never improve. If more cops come onboard who look at the job as a service position rather than an authority position, then things will also begin to improve.
How is living to do double shifts to make bank fraud? It's honest work if they really did double shifts.

I'm pretty sure being a cop is an authority position to those who are breaking the law. In some scenarios it is a service position...like if i call for help or ask for directions. If I get pulled over for drunk driving or I steal something from a store and get caught then I lose some rights until I get bailed out of jail. Why is it so difficult for some people to admit that yes cops do hold some 'power' over people.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:54 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If there truly is widespread OT abuse and fraud among the Boston Police Department, perhaps they should be going after that rather than merely "sticking it to them" and slicing the budget which will do zero to solve that problem.

The "authoritarian and militaristic approach" is laughable to me, from what I have seen they display an amazing amount of restraint in face of an increasingly hostile public. How long you actually live in Boston for?
Yeah that's what bothers me as well. It seems like anytime cops do something wrong they ALL get blamed. This does not happen in other work places. If my co worker screws up or is rude to someone we don't all get in trouble.

I also think it's ridiculous that someone can retire early and get a pension for the rest of their life. That is something that I think should be revisited and is probably draining a LOT of budget money.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:57 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what bothers me as well. It seems like anytime cops do something wrong they ALL get blamed. This does not happen in other work places. If my co worker screws up or is rude to someone we don't all get in trouble.

I also think it's ridiculous that someone can retire early and get a pension for the rest of their life. That is something that I think should be revisited and is probably draining a LOT of budget money.
If they cut the OT budget without hiring more officers or another way of making up for that lost manpower, it is the public that will suffer.

But yes, we definitely need a full overhaul of the pension system. Won't happen as long as Maahty is around though.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:09 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
The Boston Police operates on a much more humanistic level than the MSP. They seem to me and a lot of other people as way more approachable and human. Commissioner Gross is a very likeable and smart guy and also relatable to the community. THE MSP should take a look at their reform approach within the past decade and maybe take some notes.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:26 AM

I think the MA State police uniforms are kind of ridiculous and maybe add to what makes them seem unapproachable. I've heard some folks say they resemble NAzi uniforms. They also are always the ones pulling people over. I will say that pulling people over on the highway seems so dangerous. You could get hit by a car at any moment and you never know who you are pulling over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts