Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
People on wall st steal money every day ( a lot more than what we're talking about here) and nothing happens to them.
Yes, and people like Liz Warren very publicly critique these issues (e.g., Libor fraud). A failure to hold people/institutions accountable should mean we stop enforcing laws across the board.

By your logic, my local PD show have excused my neighbor's OUI because fentanyl importation and sale is a rampant problem in MA. Not very logical, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 08:32 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
O boy a ton of stuff here.

On details. In many cases if it is a private job it is the company that is paying for the detail work, not the city or state. personally I don't think public jobs need cops as flaggers. Plenty of other states have regular people (CT I've seen it plenty of times) making $20 or so an hour holding signs. Ultimately this going to go to robots anyway.

For qualifications there's significant incentives under the quinn bill to get 20% more with an associates, bachelors and masters. It's a win win. Generally mass has had significantly less civil rights issues since passing. this is one of the major differences in Mass vs other states. Section 12 (pink paper) is another. If someone is determined to be a threat to themselves or others a cop or psych eval can have them committed I believe for three days. Keep in mind that many other states HARDLY train police, especially in rural areas. I'm not saying they are stupid but if you don't ask for it you probably won't get it. How many police officers know spanish? I'd argue some but more towards urban areas. ok how about sign language?

Pensions. Most people in the public sector do not get social security. Public pensions cost much more than social security (6.25% vs about 11%). Until recently pensions were not stripped away. These can add up in mass as the $180K contribution led to a $80K annual pension. that's a great return.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-loses-pension

disability. My maternal grandfather was injured in the line of duty. He was rear ended after getting in his cruiser after issuing a ticket. Three months later he had a heart attack. Back then it paid out full but today it pays I think half.

there are situations that people can get with police that get them both nervous and frankly when the media blows it up on both sides it just gets more people mad. For example if someone gets pulled over the police need to see id. We can argue about legalities but the one way to really tick a cop off is a lack of id. The driver goes for registration in the glove box but guess what else is put there..usually firearms so if you do that really fast due to being scared it's going to scare the cop and make them more likely to react. If you drive say a mini van with tinted windows vs say a hatch back that's crystal clear with nothing in it might determine if you get pulled over. Cops also need space. Say you have some assault. Ok so they have three people at the station now. victim, assailant and witness. Now they have to *separate* them and do so safely otherwise you could have intimating a witness as an additional charge. And if there's kids and DSS involved God save you because then you have to have some form of id to prove a relationship. Some places might not have crime but in those areas when it does happen you have to get mutual aid. I know of a stabbing years ago where practically SIX other towns had to give aid. We can't assume that criminals care about where someone lives.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:36 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes, and people like Liz Warren very publicly critique these issues (e.g., Libor fraud). A failure to hold people/institutions accountable should mean we stop enforcing laws across the board.

By your logic, my local PD show have excused my neighbor's OUI because fentanyl importation and sale is a rampant problem in MA. Not very logical, is it?
I am not talking about DUIs and drug use. I'm talking about padding OT here and there.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:42 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
People on wall st steal money every day ( a lot more than what we're talking about here) and nothing happens to them.
This is Trumpian-level deflection. I’d expect at 6-year-old to use the “but everybody does it” defense. Not an adult. Felony fraud is felony fraud.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
I am not talking about DUIs and drug use. I'm talking about padding OT here and there.
Laws are to be enforced ... let the judicial system define the justice to be served.

That IS my point. As a citizen bound to laws, I fully expect the police force enforcing those laws also be bound to them. It’s felony fraud, plain and simple.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is Trumpian-level deflection. I’d expect at 6-year-old to use the “but everybody does it” defense. Not an adult. Felony fraud is felony fraud.
Lol ok. These cops are stealing like 2k a year whereas wall st people steal millions a year. Millions that should be going to other initiatives. But let's focus on the cops.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:26 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Laws are to be enforced ... let the judicial system define the justice to be served.

That IS my point. As a citizen bound to laws, I fully expect the police force enforcing those laws also be bound to them. It’s felony fraud, plain and simple.
and I'm not saying they shouldn't get in trouble for it, they should. But does it really need to be published in the paper every time it happens? I personally think the media just likes to showcase it any time cops mess up. They enjoy it when cops screw up.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:26 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
The preference should at least be given to someone from the Boston/MA area. And if they served in the military and ended up on a base in MO not sure they had any control over where they were sent.
Where they served their enlistment wasn't the point. My point was that a 22 year from anywhere in the country who didn't see any combat time or served overseas can jump to the top of the list for a BPD job. Those jobs should go to people who live in the city and if you are a city resident who is a vet, then you should get preference.

Further, family members of service members who died while enlisted (not specifically in combat) get to jump to a spot just underneath vets.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:32 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
O boy a ton of stuff here.

On details. In many cases if it is a private job it is the company that is paying for the detail work, not the city or state. personally I don't think public jobs need cops as flaggers. Plenty of other states have regular people (CT I've seen it plenty of times) making $20 or so an hour holding signs. Ultimately this going to go to robots anyway.
And that money paid for details eventually finds it's way to the prices that consumers pay.

Details are paid at $50 per hour and up to $60 per hour for upper rank office acting as a supervisor. Details at strikes pays $75-90 per hour. All details are a 4 hour minimum. Most towns then add 10% to process the paperwork.

A friend with a tree service has had worked stopped on a cul-de-sac until a detail could be arranged.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:22 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Where they served their enlistment wasn't the point. My point was that a 22 year from anywhere in the country who didn't see any combat time or served overseas can jump to the top of the list for a BPD job. Those jobs should go to people who live in the city and if you are a city resident who is a vet, then you should get preference.

Further, family members of service members who died while enlisted (not specifically in combat) get to jump to a spot just underneath vets.
....qualified residents of Boston. A criminal justice degree would be a good start. Even an Associates out of Bunker Hill CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts