Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2020, 03:47 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But another concern presented here (and it's a valid one), is how productive are these officers having worked 80 hours in a week (not to even mention safety concerns and increased injury/burnout). Studies show that humans function at their max until around the 6 hour mark, from then on there is a gradual drop off. There is such a thing as penny wise/pound foolish.
this is true but I don't think most cops are actually working 80 hours a week. Maybe the younger ones because they can and they can save. 60 hours a week is probably more like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 04:31 AM

36 posts, read 47,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
this is true but I don't think most cops are actually working 80 hours a week. Maybe the younger ones because they can and they can save. 60 hours a week is probably more like it.
I would agree with this absolutely! The younger generation of cops have a better work/life balance. Unless they make stupid financial decisions or end up with child support payments that force them to work day and night. But mostly, the younger guys seem to have their life away from work far better than the old timers I know.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:36 AM

Such discussion/discomfort about how much cops make. It's all fine and good that VPs who sit at a desk doing who knows what are making more than what cops make in bonuses. No big deal.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Such discussion/discomfort about how much cops make. It's all fine and good that VPs who sit at a desk doing who knows what are making more than what cops make in bonuses. No big deal.

You don't see the egregious flaw in this reasoning?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:53 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You don't see the egregious flaw in this reasoning?
No i don't. I think it's sad that what cops make is so dissected yet no one bats and eyelash at what some of this 'big shots' at tech companies make.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
No i don't. I think it's sad that what cops make is so dissected yet no one bats and eyelash at what some of this 'big shots' at tech companies make.

Let me spell it out for you...

Tech company VPs aren't paid with public monies. Its private money and the ownership/shareholders set the compensation packages as their core. Also, if you've ever met some tech VPs, they tend to be incredibly highly educated and gotten to those positions largely through merit (I'm not talking series A start up deals), after decades of long long hours, but still, at their core... its private money and it is the business of the ownership of the company.

And, if you don't think the compensation packages of big companies is routinely and regularly dissected by the public, then you are literally not paying attention to any (real) news over the last decade or so. The issue of golden parachutes for C level execs in big business has been a hot top of criticism widely for decades.

Cops, on the other had, are paid with public monies. Therefore each one of us acts as the ownership and oversight of that position. They are our employees, and therefore it is our fiduciary responsibility to act as the oversight of those positions. Oh, and nevermind that the barrier to entry into a cop position is much lower... there are far far more of them, and the relatively high levels of compensation come quite quickly.

In the end though, it is OUR MONEY AS A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC, unlike a tech exec where it is PRIVATE MONEY THAT IS ONLY THE BUSINESS OF THE OWNERSHIP.

I hope that makes the gigantic difference clear.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:05 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
public versus private sector employees.....your tax dollars aren't paying tech company employees...

Old 11-30-2020, 08:06 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Let me spell it out for you...

Tech company VPs aren't paid with public monies. Its private money and the ownership/shareholders set the compensation packages as their core. Also, if you've ever met some tech VPs, they tend to be incredibly highly educated and gotten to those positions largely through merit (I'm not talking series A start up deals), after decades of long long hours, but still, at their core... its private money and it is the business of the ownership of the company.

And, if you don't think the compensation packages of big companies is routinely and regularly dissected by the public, then you are literally not paying attention to any (real) news over the last decade or so. The issue of golden parachutes for C level execs in big business has been a hot top of criticism widely for decades.

Cops, on the other had, are paid with public monies. Therefore each one of us acts as the ownership and oversight of that position. They are our employees, and therefore it is our fiduciary responsibility to act as the oversight of those positions. Oh, and nevermind that the barrier to entry into a cop position is much lower... there are far far more of them, and the relatively high levels of compensation come quite quickly.

In the end though, it is OUR MONEY AS A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC, unlike a tech exec where it is PRIVATE MONEY THAT IS ONLY THE BUSINESS OF THE OWNERSHIP.

I hope that makes the gigantic difference clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
public versus private sector employees.....your tax dollars aren't paying tech company employees...

Of course there is a difference, but you would be sadly mistaken if you believe the CEOs' salaries aren't somehow coming out of your pocket as well.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:11 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Those working at tech companies, generally speaking, are funded through their customer base and not town/state tax payers.

Additionally, discussing LEO comp without mentioning pension obligations shows a terribly understanding of how LEOs are comped. There are plenty of retired state troopers pulling six-digit retirements ... not a bad deal when most of the private sector is trying to squeeze blood from turbulent equity markets.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:14 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course there is a difference, but you would be sadly mistaken if you believe the CEOs' salaries aren't somehow coming out of your pocket as well.
Irrelevant to the conversation of whether or not our public sector employees are committing fraud.

One can lament both, but of course the trained whataboutism makes it impossible for many to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts