Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 04:33 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

So what do you all think of people who are Navy SEALs, green berets and army rangers? do they fall into the same category as cop? I mean their job is often to kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 04:33 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
LOL H1B workers reside in the US (in this case, Cambridge MA) and receive prevailing wages, otherwise USCIS won't approve it. No outsourcing involved at all.

Google is one of the best IT companies in the world, and have one of the highest bars for hiring. Google provides one of the highest salaries in this industry too. Most other companies pay less.

You seriously think there are no qualified individuals for these positions anywhere in this country? H1Bs not exploited???

Google is ALL about maximizing profits boss, similar to most of these companies.

Quote:
Some of my friends work in China as engineers or (low-level) tech managers, and their salary is typically around 50k USD. The average software engineer salary in Chinese big cities is about 185,000 RMB (28k USD)

In China police officers with 10 years experience usually make about 10k USD. The national average salary of police officers in China is 50400 RMB, or about 7,700 USD

Interesting, but not a valid comparison. And I don't pretend to know much about policing in China (or tech there for that matter), but I can guarantee you enforcing the law over there is a much easier and simple task than here. It has a largely compliant public, and a legal system catering to the state as opposed to the individual. I imagine requirements for the job are much lower as a result.

Quote:
But an engineer typically needs a BS degree, which requires passing calculus, linear algebra, general physics, and a load of specialized courses.
With the educational system in the US, what percentage of people can possibly handle it even if they try hard?

The percentage is low, but in numbers still high. Same idea with a police officer. While it usually doesn't require a degree, one must possess other qualities and abilities that most people simply do not have. Are we talking more common or rarer than an engineer? No idea. Neither are really comparable. Point is both are jobs the average person is not suited for, hence the relatively good pay both command.

Quote:
We are not talking about salaries only. We all know cops make a big chunk of money from OT and details, not base salaries.
Other professionals need to work over time too, but for "free".

I'm willing to bet that the Framingham police officer bringing home 120K/year is putting in more hours and weekends/holidays than the Google software engineer pulling in the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
In what case? You are claiming the AVERAGE policemen has a job more difficult than an average software engineer. I am not talking about the commissioner, or even detectives.

I have no idea about the "AVERAGE", but I can say with a great certainty there are software engineers out there putting out less than the average police officer (and vice versa).

Old 12-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So what do you all think of people who are Navy SEALs, green berets and army rangers? do they fall into the same category as cop? I mean their job is often to kill people.

I don't know, but I find the anti-veteran jabber from some here to be despicable.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:44 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
In it for the control and domination of what?

Most of cops I know who are vets are older (like 40 or above). I dont know any millennials joining the military these days, they're too good for that.
If asked what a cop does, if the first thing that comes to mind is catch/arrest/shoot at bad guys, you’re part of the problem. If other cops or your union come before your community, you’re part of the problem. If you go into any situation assuming the other party is the enemy and a potential threat, you’re part of the problem. If you think simply having the badge entitles you to respect and deference from civilians, you’re part of the problem.

The problem is many of these ideas are also exactly what is taught to soldiers. Cops are not soldiers. Cops are not meant to be domestic military, but through failures in our system we’ve allowed them to become militarized. That’s a big problem that needs corrected.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If asked what a cop does, if the first thing that comes to mind is catch/arrest/shoot at bad guys, you’re part of the problem. If other cops or your union come before your community, you’re part of the problem. If you go into any situation assuming the other party is the enemy and a potential threat, you’re part of the problem. If you think simply having the badge entitles you to respect and deference from civilians, you’re part of the problem.

The problem is many of these ideas are also exactly what is taught to soldiers. Cops are not soldiers. Cops are not meant to be domestic military, but through failures in our system we’ve allowed them to become militarized. That’s a big problem that needs corrected.
I dont think anyone is thinking this. But if you get a call to a domestic dispute where a woman (or man) is getting the crap kicked out of them by anyone, should the cops act respectful to said beater? this is often what is happening. In Boston cops don't go looking for trouble, they are called to a troubling scene.

The problem with this country today is that we think violent criminals should be treated as someone checking into a hotel. I dont want to live in that kind of country.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
The problem is sooooo many cops see themselves in the same category. That is the problematic mindset. Out of all the cops I have known, I have known two that weren't tough guy/bully/aholes. And one of those (Chicago cop) made her daughter swear to never call for another cop for help unless she had a friend with her, because the mother saw so much beyond sketchy behavior by fellow cops.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:01 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The problem is sooooo many cops see themselves in the same category. That is the problematic mindset. Out of all the cops I have known, I have known two that weren't tough guy/bully/aholes. And one of those (Chicago cop) made her daughter swear to never call for another cop for help unless she had a friend with her, because the mother saw so much beyond sketchy behavior by fellow cops.
Well Drew Peterson was a chicago cop, maybe they are messed up there. But we're talking about Boston. A lot of times police are called about crazy things.

I had a co worker who was a very nice person, very smart, the whole 9 yards and apparently she had a guy who kept approaching her on the train. I guess he followed her somewhere or made her uncomfortable. She went to the somerville police dept and was apparently treated terribly as far as she was concerned. The cop at the front desk basically laughed and said something like, ah, he just liked you, I wish someone would follow me around. Mind you this girl looked a like a guy and was pretty butch. The whole scene must have been odd to all and perhaps that's where sensitivity training comes in. At the end of the day no one had harmed her.

My cousin is a Boston cop and has had things happen like people bringing in empty bottles of alcohol and saying things like, I want to report that someone drank/stole my bottle of Hennesey.

You are saying things like 'cops see themselves in the same category'. What should they think of themselves?

Old 12-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Default re

Quote:
I mean I just took a look at a navy seals instagram page and it seemed pretty bloodthirsty. Obsession with knives. Husband of former nip tick star kelly carlson, https://www.instagram.com/trackerdan/

Old 12-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
And one of those (Chicago cop) made her daughter swear to never call for another cop for help unless she had a friend with her, because the mother saw so much beyond sketchy behavior by fellow cops.

How do you know SHE wasn't the rogue/disgruntled cop?

Old 12-02-2020, 05:13 PM

that does seem a little odd that in a city like chicago where people are killing each other every day that the cops are the ones to fear. Maybe there's a reason for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts