Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 37,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I think the only streaming service that carries NESN now is FuboTV. For some reason, none of the streaming services want to carry NESN and a lot of the other regional sports channels that are associated with it. As you mentioned, YouTubeTV just dropped them. They probably charge too much. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can stream NESN through their own site and so you could potentially stream that on a device and cast/mirror it on your TV depending upon what devices you have available.
NESN does have its own streaming channel (NESN Go) however you cannot purchase it as a standalone service; you have to first subscribe to cable or FuboTV to watch it. It'll be interesting to see if NESN changes its business model anytime soon. From the mid-80s until 2001, it was a premium service like HBO charging around $10 per month extra. After that it became a basic cable service, so every cable subscriber in New England was passing along a chunk of their monthly fees to NESN. With more people cutting the cord, that gravy train is drying up. HBO now offers its service to directly to end users and NESN ought to do the same. I'd definitely pay $10-15 per month for it. I gave up paying $70+ for a bunch of other channels I don't watch just to get NESN (and NBC Sports for the Celtics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 12:15 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
General Instrument..that brings back some memories. I still remember those remotes. Extra buttons that never seemed to do anything. F ? A/B? PC/PM?
I never migrated to the X1 platform. I used the old box until I cut the cord in early 2018.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:53 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depends on which Comcast set-top box technology you're using. If you're using the legacy General Instrument/Motorola stuff, it's compressed like crazy even with an "HD" set-top box. With the more modern X1 boxes, it's IP streaming over DOCSIS and much less compressed.
I am using Xfinity’s XG1v4 4k box, which is supposedly their newest and best. The XG1v4 looks good but when I compare a Patriots game on CBS switching between the 2 sources (Xfinity vs OTA HD antenna) it’s a real wake up call.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:08 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondu View Post
NESN does have its own streaming channel (NESN Go) however you cannot purchase it as a standalone service; you have to first subscribe to cable or FuboTV to watch it. It'll be interesting to see if NESN changes its business model anytime soon. From the mid-80s until 2001, it was a premium service like HBO charging around $10 per month extra. After that it became a basic cable service, so every cable subscriber in New England was passing along a chunk of their monthly fees to NESN. With more people cutting the cord, that gravy train is drying up. HBO now offers its service to directly to end users and NESN ought to do the same. I'd definitely pay $10-15 per month for it. I gave up paying $70+ for a bunch of other channels I don't watch just to get NESN (and NBC Sports for the Celtics).
The whole "packaging" pricing model is what drove me away from cable TV. I hate having to buy 20 channels in order to get 1 that I want. I remember my basic package had like 100 channels which I watched maybe 10 of.

I think the days where people are willing to put up for paying for fluff are ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I am using Xfinity’s XG1v4 4k box, which is supposedly their newest and best. The XG1v4 looks good but when I compare a Patriots game on CBS switching between the 2 sources (Xfinity vs OTA HD antenna) it’s a real wake up call.
That was a really pleasant surprise about switching to an OTA antenna. The picture quality was so much better!

Old 12-07-2020, 02:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The only problem I see with streaming services is that there's a bit of shared content but then there's the exclusive. There's only so many. netflix, amazon prime, youtube tv, hulu, peacock, Disney plus, CBS, chiller etc. Quibi went out of business but I think they were some trying to half ass content. I think the major networks are established and at this point anything else is like cable access. Your conspiracy theories, hobbyists', political bent channels etc. I can see some going back to the idea of what cable was 25 years ago. Say 50 stations $50 a month what more do you want? I can see an app bundling service and some smart tv's already have apps installed. content is king so anything that gets popular is apt to get licensed out or bought out.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondu View Post
NESN will have to change, I agree. I suspect a decent chunk of their market (and most of their future market) has recently cut the cord and will not have access, and there go their advertising rates. I've been on the verge of a YouTube TV subscription for a while, but they raised their rates while also dropping NESN, so that's a no-go now. I'm sure finances were involved, but I don't think dropping NESN was a good move for YouTube TV locally. I know many who have just cancelled their subscriptions, and I see no reason to subscribe now.

We're doing fine with fast internet, HD antenna, and Prime Video with some add-ons like Netflix and Disney+. No complaints until hockey season (which starts...?), and then I'll have to figure out something so I can watch the Bruins.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Just checked the Roku channel store and apparently there is a NESN app in there that I've never noticed before. I'm going to download it and report back in the next few days about it. My guess is you probably need a cable subscription to use it but we'll see.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:06 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Even Comcast/Xfinity is dropping local channels. All of Bristol County (towns stretching from N Attleboro/Mansfield/Easton to Fairhaven/New Bedford) will soon be losing WCVB Channel 5. The WLNE affiliate of Providence is considered the primary ABC provider for the county. Comcast could not reach an agreement with Hearst WCVB owners and it will be dropped. It is the same situation with Channel 25.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:36 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Just checked the Roku channel store and apparently there is a NESN app in there that I've never noticed before. I'm going to download it and report back in the next few days about it. My guess is you probably need a cable subscription to use it but we'll see.
You definitely need a cable TV subscription in order to access the content. I'm not sure about NESN, but some of the apps not only require you to have a cable subscription to login, they also require you to be on the same network when using it. So for instance, if you have an Xfinity subscription at home and a Roku at your vacation home, the app won't work at the vacation home since the Roku is not connected to the same network you're subscribed to. I thought I checked NESN a few years ago and this was the case. I'll try again on my Apple TV.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavikeer View Post
Look up: https://sites.google.com/view/bestfreestreaming/
it has all you wants: free streaming of movies and tvshows

Have fun!
There area lot of illegal streaming sites out there that you can access tons of content on. I'm not interested in touching those. I wouldn't want someone to steal my intellectual property and I'm not going to be a part of stealing someone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts