Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:36 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,203,695 times

Advertisements

In the past few years, I've tried Sling, Hulu, fubotv, YoutubeTV and now ATT TV Now.

I can't keep up with all of their changes with their dropping and adding stations somewhat frequently. So it's hard to compare even with all of my experience with them over recent years.

I seem to prefer YoutubeTV, but for some reason get confused on its screen menu layout when trying to find shows I've recorded and other tasks.

But I do like that they carried NESN until very recently but still has NBC Sports Boston for the Celtics. I don't think all of the competing services offer either or both stations. And I hope they still offer NECN unlike some of the competition. But my favorite aspect is it offers WGBH Ch 2, our PBS station. (Okay, okay...GBH Boston is the new name?)

It may also carry the other local PBS station, Channel 44? If not, it may air the New Hampshire PBS?

However, I think they just jumped to $65 monthly which may be the costliest of them all?

YoutubeTV has the unlimited cloud storage -- but not really unlimited, as I think it automatically deletes your oldest recording to make room for new ones. Frustrating! Fubotv actually let's me keep a recording forever even when my DVR library is full -- it simply blocks any other shows from being recorded, but at least I won't lose a recording by surprise if I'm not paying attention.

But losing NESN is a big blow for YoutubeTV! Any competitors still offer it, or we must simply get Comcast, RCN or satellite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 12:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,132,790 times
Can't help you with NESN, but this week I literally purchased an in-home TV antenna ($30) and an HDHomeRun Quatro unit ($150) to get local channels. The antenna + box is hooked up to my router and up to four (hence Quatro) TV streams are allowed simultaneously to devices that are both on the network and support the HDHomeRun app. I have Roku on each TV with the app.

The HDHR Duo is $100.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,135,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Can't help you with NESN, but this week I literally purchased an in-home TV antenna ($30) and an HDHomeRun Quatro unit ($150) to get local channels. The antenna + box is hooked up to my router and up to four (hence Quatro) TV streams are allowed simultaneously to devices that are both on the network and support the HDHomeRun app. I have Roku on each TV with the app.

The HDHR Duo is $100.
Is The HDHomeRUn App accessed through the ROKU?

Old 12-02-2020, 01:05 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times
I did an Over-the-air antenna mounted in the attic and connected it to the existing cable drops. Picks up 50+ channels, unfortunately most of them are some form of QVC. But it gets the basics and I can watch football, news, weather, presidential debates, etc.

More and more stuff is moving to online streaming. I've watched a lot of events on YoutubeTV lately as various channels stream on their youtube channels. For other entertainment, we split a Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ account with other family members.

For all other stuff, I've had luck going into Reddit forums and finding links were games would be streamed. I watched the Celtics playoff games this way. I would just navigate to the reddit forum on my smart TV's web browser, click on the link to stream the game, and make it full stream. Quality was as good as regular HDTV as well. Instant NESN on tv. I must admit though, it wasn't quick to find the links and set it up, but I didn't do this often.

We haven't had regular Cable TV in 5-6 years now.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Is The HDHomeRUn App accessed through the ROKU?
It is! Just like any other streaming app. So instead of Netflix, I click the HDHR app and it gives me a list of channels that the antenna is getting and feeding into the HDHR box.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,834,064 times
Network licensing issues still exist. Nextstar has issues now with Dishnetwork. Increasingly content producers will just go direct.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:26 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,050,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
In the past few years, I've tried Sling, Hulu, fubotv, YoutubeTV and now ATT TV Now.

I can't keep up with all of their changes with their dropping and adding stations somewhat frequently. So it's hard to compare even with all of my experience with them over recent years.

I seem to prefer YoutubeTV, but for some reason get confused on its screen menu layout when trying to find shows I've recorded and other tasks.

But I do like that they carried NESN until very recently but still has NBC Sports Boston for the Celtics. I don't think all of the competing services offer either or both stations. And I hope they still offer NECN unlike some of the competition. But my favorite aspect is it offers WGBH Ch 2, our PBS station. (Okay, okay...GBH Boston is the new name?)

It may also carry the other local PBS station, Channel 44? If not, it may air the New Hampshire PBS?

However, I think they just jumped to $65 monthly which may be the costliest of them all?

YoutubeTV has the unlimited cloud storage -- but not really unlimited, as I think it automatically deletes your oldest recording to make room for new ones. Frustrating! Fubotv actually let's me keep a recording forever even when my DVR library is full -- it simply blocks any other shows from being recorded, but at least I won't lose a recording by surprise if I'm not paying attention.

But losing NESN is a big blow for YoutubeTV! Any competitors still offer it, or we must simply get Comcast, RCN or satellite?
I think the only streaming service that carries NESN now is FuboTV. For some reason, none of the streaming services want to carry NESN and a lot of the other regional sports channels that are associated with it. As you mentioned, YouTubeTV just dropped them. They probably charge too much. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can stream NESN through their own site and so you could potentially stream that on a device and cast/mirror it on your TV depending upon what devices you have available.

For local channels, I really think the best solution is an HD antenna. I had a table top one that worked well for years. Then I switched to one mounted in my attic and for some reason that one never works. I haven't bothered to work too hard on fixing it. So, I've been using Locast.org which is a non-profit that rebroadcasts local channels over the internet. For a $5/month donation they'll remove their ads from the streaming feed. Otherwise, it gets interrupted every few minutes with a Locast add. All the networks are suing Locast because they don't get paid but the fact that it's a non-profit company may be a loophole in the law that they can continue to exploit. Bottom line is . . . I can't guarantee Locast will be around forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It is! Just like any other streaming app. So instead of Netflix, I click the HDHR app and it gives me a list of channels that the antenna is getting and feeding into the HDHR box.
I have a Tablo DVR which is similar. Mine only has 2 tuners though.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:17 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I did an Over-the-air antenna mounted in the attic and connected it to the existing cable drops. Picks up 50+ channels, unfortunately most of them are some form of QVC. But it gets the basics and I can watch football, news, weather, presidential debates, etc.
I'm a big proponent of antennas. BUT recently the tuner in my main TV went out, rendering the antenna useless...

We had Directv online/ATT TV/whatever it is for a while, good selection but zero local channels!
Have Spectrum web based ala cart now. About two dozen channels + local, plus internet for about $100. Internet alone was about $75-80. Obviously not an option if you are in comcast land.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:28 PM

448 posts, read 283,259 times
I dont know. I miss cable sometimes though.

We went from comcast, to verizon (which was nice), to verizon internet only.

I got a couple $10 antennas for our 2 TVs and we get 4,5, 7, 25, etc etc.... and some mongrel stations too.

We have netflix, hulu (free somehow), roku, disney (somehow), and amazon prime.

I miss NESN but honestly, I can do without it. (for as much TV as we watch nowadays).

Doesnt help with the streaming question though, sorry. :/

Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,050,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I dont know. I miss cable sometimes though.
I left cable TV in the dust a few years back and I can honestly say I don't miss it. The only time I do is when my parents or my in-laws come over and they want to watch something on TV. Explaining to them what apps on the Roku do what makes me want to pull my hair out (what's left of it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts