Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 10:11 AM

21,801 posts, read 12,968,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right there was a heated discussion on this on the Milton facebook page. Some black families are upset that based on the zone they live in their kids go to tucker with mostly other black kids. Some white parents said they purposely chose that area because they want their kids to go a more diverse school. The main argument was that it's done by zoning and if parents want their kids to go to another school they should move. Some parents did not want their kids taken out of the district school area because they see value in their kids walking to school with the other neighborhood kids. The schools are the same, it's not like some are better than others...although it was mentioned why does just Cunningham offer French immersion.
That is ridiculous. Tucker is like 40% black 40% white or close to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 10:19 AM

16,859 posts, read 8,532,803 times
Well there were some upset parents. People will find anything to be upset about these days i guess.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:36 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. Bloomfield is a majority black middle class town. Less than 35% have college degrees. A mediocre school system. A smidge better than Randolph that is being discussed here.

The OP is looking for a town with lots of white collar professionals where there are plenty of black ones who can be role models. I don't think it exists around Boston. I think the best you can do is multi-cultural with lots of white collar professionals. In Hartford, that would be West Hartford. In Boston, maybe Newton.
If we're talking Connecticut, Windsor would be a better option than Bloomfield..

Old 02-07-2021, 05:16 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,399,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
If we're talking Connecticut, Windsor would be a better option than Bloomfield..
It’s still not a place with a lot of black white collar professional role models. Better educational demographics than Bloomfield but only 40% of the adults in town have college degrees. But I agree. If you’re looking for a town that’s really diverse with college educated adults, Windsor is a better option than Bloomfield.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s still not a place with a lot of black white collar professional role models. Better educational demographics than Bloomfield but only 40% of the adults in town have college degrees. But I agree. If you’re looking for a town that’s really diverse with college educated adults, Windsor is a better option than Bloomfield.
Where do you think the black white-collar people live in the Hartford area if not Windsor? I had two black professors at Trinity who lived in Windsor fwiw.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 23,970 times
Just some insight. I am African American and my husband is Bi-Racial, we are both white collar professionals in a same sex marriage. We also have twins via surrogacy utilizing my half. Currently we live in a town where a LARGE majority of the members are white collar professionals. Sadly, in the Northeast, that means less diversity. This is not DC or ATL metro areas. HOWEVER, in my not so diverse town, EVERYONE is NICE to us, my children are making wonderful friends and we feel accepted in the community. To be quite frank, we can afford it. If you can afford the lifestyle you want, you can live anywhere. We'll be placing our kids in Jack & Jill and other multi-cultural activities to get the diversity we are lacking in our town.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:03 AM

16,859 posts, read 8,532,803 times
I noticed that the town I live in featured a same sex (male) hispanic or black couple on the cover of the local magazine this week. They have two kids who appear to be hispanic and this is a pretty much all white town. So I guess not everyone cares about being around people just like them.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM

94,075 posts, read 124,888,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
Just some insight. I am African American and my husband is Bi-Racial, we are both white collar professionals in a same sex marriage. We also have twins via surrogacy utilizing my half. Currently we live in a town where a LARGE majority of the members are white collar professionals. Sadly, in the Northeast, that means less diversity. This is not DC or ATL metro areas. HOWEVER, in my not so diverse town, EVERYONE is NICE to us, my children are making wonderful friends and we feel accepted in the community. To be quite frank, we can afford it. If you can afford the lifestyle you want, you can live anywhere. We'll be placing our kids in Jack & Jill and other multi-cultural activities to get the diversity we are lacking in our town.
Not necessarily true. In the NYC area, there are quite a few communities in both NY and NJ that would fit. There are some me in the Philadelphia area as well in PA, NJ and DE.

In terms of New England, I’m surprised that CT communities such as Hamden and Danbury weren’t mentioned.

As for MA, while it is a little old, here is some black median household income information by school district: Massachusetts Median Black Household Income School District Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

In terms of percentage and income, Milton and Stoughton seem to have a good balance between having at least a substantial percentage and a higher black MHHI.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...l-district-ma/

Old 02-12-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true. In the NYC area, there are quite a few communities in both NY and NJ that would fit. There are some me in the Philadelphia area as well in PA, NJ and DE.

In terms of New England, I’m surprised that CT communities such as Hamden and Danbury weren’t mentioned.

As for MA, while it is a little old, here is some black median household income information by school district: Massachusetts Median Black Household Income School District Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

In terms of percentage and income, Milton and Stoughton seem to have a good balance between having at least a substantial percentage and a higher black MHHI.

Danbury and Hamden don't really have affluent black families. Maybe Hamden it does, but in general? no- it's the New Haven spillover. Danbury is not very black but its a nice place and why look at Danbury if Framingham exists? more or less the same thing but Framingham has some obvious advantages in terms of location.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:44 AM

8,603 posts, read 11,046,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I didn't realize there were many black people in Avon, Holbrook, bridgwater etc.
Boy, times do certainly change.
I was raised in Avon, spent my early life there until I turned 21, then moved into Boston.

I remember as a kid living in Avon, there was only one black family in town.
Their kids were the same age as the kids in my family, so we were all friends.
Of course, that was back in the late forties/early fifties.
As for Brockton, back then, the blacks lived on one street in Brockton, Bay street, and as I recall, there were not a whole lot of blacks in Brockton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts