Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 08:00 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

I would be SHOCKED if Price Chopper was cheaper than MB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 08:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Market Basket is a true anomaly when it comes to prices, especially for our area. I travel to the Midwest a lot and find that prices there (Kroger, Meijer) can be higher than MB on many basic goods. Whatever the Demoulas are doing, let's hope it keeps up for the sake of the consumer!
People are sleeping on trader Joe's . Where market basket raised their meat prices trader Joe's did not. Trader Joe's has a lot of goods other stores don't have with great value.i would say for the most part market basket is cheaper than most but the y are not as cheap as they were 9 months ago before Inflation.

Trader Joe's is another great place to shop.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:49 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
People are sleeping on trader Joe's . Where market basket raised their meat prices trader Joe's did not. Trader Joe's has a lot of goods other stores don't have with great value.i would say for the most part market basket is cheaper than most but the y are not as cheap as they were 9 months ago before Inflation.

I've always found the meat at MB to be kind of low quality. On the other side of the coin, the meat at Wegmans is outrageously expensive but the quality is excellent. I'll stick to Costco for meat I guess.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:38 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

The problem I have with Trader Joe's is that it's small and missing items that I need. No deli, no fresh fish, not any pet foods that mine would eat, small selection of cleaning supplies. They have good prices on fruit and vegetables and cheap booze.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The problem I have with Trader Joe's is that it's small and missing items that I need. No deli, no fresh fish, not any pet foods that mine would eat, small selection of cleaning supplies. They have good prices on fruit and vegetables and cheap booze.
They have fresh fish at trader Joe's at the one I go at. I will not eat frozen fish . Once you freeze fish it's more ruined than a frozen steak. Ya some go to traders after their regular shopping though you can still do a weeks worth of shipping at trader Joe's if you can go without deli meat and other stuff. The sweets are terrible at trader Joe's . That's one downside. The muffins had no flavor. They have some good Asian food there .

Old 09-16-2022, 09:25 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
TJ's has some some good pre-prepared fresh foods/meals, you just need to keep an eye on the expiration dates. They have some good frozen options for the occasional quick (albeit not very sodium healthy) meal. Some of their frozen deserts are great. Key lime cheesecake comes to mind. Their store-brand frozen mac and cheese is one of the best I've eaten since HoJo days. But not exactly the store I can do my food order at.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:43 AM

914 posts, read 562,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've always found the meat at MB to be kind of low quality. On the other side of the coin, the meat at Wegmans is outrageously expensive but the quality is excellent. I'll stick to Costco for meat I guess.
MB carries a lot of Select grade *beef* but it's clearly labelled, and it also carries Choice grade. Avoid the Select grade beef, and MB meat and fish are good and good value.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:45 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
There's no good time to go there. It's always busy.
I was there today at 5:42 - it was relatively quiet.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:57 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I was there today at 5:42 - it was relatively quiet.
Lol, you slipped in I should not give this secret away, but Market Basket in Burlington unofficially opens its doors at 6:00 AM every day even though the official opening time is 7:00 AM.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:05 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
TJ's has some some good pre-prepared fresh foods/meals, you just need to keep an eye on the expiration dates. They have some good frozen options for the occasional quick (albeit not very sodium healthy) meal. Some of their frozen deserts are great. Key lime cheesecake comes to mind. Their store-brand frozen mac and cheese is one of the best I've eaten since HoJo days. But not exactly the store I can do my food order at.

As somebody who almost never buys prepared foods and who uses BJ's to stock up on most of what little "middle aisle" stuff I buy, I've never found much use for Trader Joe's. The few times I've been I'll end up walking out with a few "treats" I didn't really need to justify the trip, but leave otherwise empty handed. Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts