Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 12:23 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
If you rarely travel by air, maybe. For folks like me who do it once / month (or more)...I would not dream of taking a clunky passport with me for domestic travel and risk losing it somewhere.
I actually found it easier to use passport even for domestic travel. I keep it in a pocket on my shoulder bag and can usually have it out in the 10 seconds or so it takes to get to the front of the PreCheck line. Already have pockets emptied except for phone (boarding pass) so as soon as they clear me I toss phone and passport back in pocket and walk right through. I ended up getting into this habit about 7 years ago when my frequent flying was more international than domestic, but even when it swung back to being more domestic I kept the habit going and it's been convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 02:26 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I actually found it easier to use passport even for domestic travel. I keep it in a pocket on my shoulder bag and can usually have it out in the 10 seconds or so it takes to get to the front of the PreCheck line. Already have pockets emptied except for phone (boarding pass) so as soon as they clear me I toss phone and passport back in pocket and walk right through. I ended up getting into this habit about 7 years ago when my frequent flying was more international than domestic, but even when it swung back to being more domestic I kept the habit going and it's been convenient.
I think all Logan TSA checkpoints have gone over to the CAT (Credential Authentication Technology) system, which means they just run your license into the machine (no need for your phone/boarding pass). All the more reason to go for the Real ID IMO.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think all Logan TSA checkpoints have gone over to the CAT (Credential Authentication Technology) system, which means they just run your license into the machine (no need for your phone/boarding pass). All the more reason to go for the Real ID IMO.
I've had a REAL ID since 2018; I just find handing them a passport to be more convenient than digging my DL out of the wallet and then putting it back in.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:37 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
When the imagrints from Guatemala show up to collect others stipend of food clothing and shelter. Will they show their licence.You know the FREE one given to them ?
You still have to pass a road test to get a license and last I checked people could drive in other countries.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:39 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
But why couldn't you do the same exact thing with the driver's license and just leave the extra item at home? That's essentially my process. When I go through the PreCheck line, I only have my wallet out and everything else (phone, keys, sunglasses, physical boarding pass, etc.) is in my personal item. I put the license into the machine and get the OK from the agent, toss the wallet with my license into the bag and proceed. Most airports I transit in the U.S. use similar technology - no scanning tickets or passports, so I'm not sure what the advantage to carrying your passport over the license would be?

*edit* just saw your latest post - personal preference. Perfectly fair.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
But why couldn't you do the same exact thing with the driver's license and just leave the extra item at home? That's essentially my process. When I go through the PreCheck line, I only have my wallet out and everything else (phone, keys, sunglasses, physical boarding pass, etc.) is in my personal item. I put the license into the machine and get the OK from the agent, toss the wallet with my license into the bag and proceed. Most airports I transit in the U.S. use similar technology - no scanning tickets or passports, so I'm not sure what the advantage to carrying your passport over the license would be?

*edit* just saw your latest post - personal preference. Perfectly fair.
The difference is I can store a passport in an easy to access place (that shoulder bag) and I only really ever need it when I'm also lugging that shoulder bag so it can always stay in the shoulder bag. I'm not remembering to grab it for an international trip (like I frequently forget to do with my reserves of foreign currency) because it's always in my travel bag.

A driver's license, on the other hand, is something I have to carry whenever I operate a car or buy liquor or any number of other things, so it goes in my wallet. If I were to put just it in my shoulder bag, sooner or later I'd forget to put it back in my wallet. If I put my wallet in the pocket, it's now getting a wallet out of the pocket, followed by getting the DL out of the wallet, then reversing the process.

When I fly (which is frequently), I usually store my wallet deeper within my bag as I don't need it (most stores/restaurants at the airport now take Apple Pay) so I also don't have to deal with it going through PreCheck. The ideal is that the only thing in my pocket at the airport is my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts