Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 06:51 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Better put all your cash under the mattress then.
You won't be able to use cash in a cashless society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 08:02 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont know why it needs to be so complicated. Anybody?
In my best 'Merica voice:

to protect us from illegals, terrorists, foreigners, black and brown people.

If REAL ID's were issued without all the checks, there would be outcry from many.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:31 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In my best 'Merica voice:

to protect us from illegals, terrorists, foreigners, black and brown people.

If REAL ID's were issued without all the checks, there would be outcry from many.
You hit the nail on the head. I am glad we have to jump through hoops for the REAL ID. Just witness the other recent thread about allowing undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses in MA.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
you can destroy a mobile device you cant take a microchip out without surgery. you can choose to never use a smart phone.
Speaking of which, I would suggest that you seek prompt medical attention, I think your microchip may have overheated and been damaged.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:37 PM

15 posts, read 11,562 times
Quote:
My passport was expired, I got certified birth certificates. My SS card was laminated, I ordered a new one. My W2 and pay stubs have the SS redacted, I pull out a tax return.
This was my plan. I have a non-laminated SS card, certified original copy of my birth certificate, and one of my W-2's from 2021. I should be good. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bank statement that shows address.
I'll definitely bring this too as a backup. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:45 PM

402 posts, read 686,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
What's with the real id? Is a license not good enough? It sounds like new world order plans.

microchips are coming.
just more control with no benefit.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:53 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
The only issue that wasn't in your control was the last one - computer system issue.

The instructions are pretty clear in what is good and what isn't. My passport was expired, I got certified birth certificates. My SS card was laminated, I ordered a new one. My W2 and pay stubs have the SS redacted, I pull out a tax return.

I had a birth certificate which was accepted. I have since requested and received a new SS Card which I will not laminate.

When i initially renewed my license during the beginning of Covid, I did so on line as it was the only option. I entered my passport number which was still good at the time and it was accepted. I was mailed a new license which was not a RealID. Would have thought my Passport confirmation was already in their system

Old 07-05-2022, 06:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I kind of wish Massachusetts participated in the Enhanced Drivers License program. You can use it to do a land crossing into Canada without a passport. My sister is a Canadian citizen and I always worry that I'll need to get to Canada in a hurry while my passport is being renewed. With an EDL, I always have the option of driving to Montreal and hopping in an airplane, or flying to Seattle and driving to Vancouver in a rental car. I think it works for some cruise ships, too.
Massachusetts does not border Canada and so I don't think the demand for EDL's is there. You need a sizeable amount of frequent border crossers to make that program sustainable which is why only 5 states have it. If you want to visit Canada by land or water and find carrying a full passport book around too cumbersome, the wallet sized passport card https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html is a cheaper and more convenient alternative.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:38 PM

Update: I'll warn anyone hoping up renew their license or ID by setting up an appointment at your local RMV location using their online system, good luck. They strongly advise when starting your application for a REAL ID that an appointment should be made to complete the transaction in-person using their online appointment portal. It's a mess. I wasn't able to find one available slot in the six or seven different locations I searched for earlier today. I've still got six weeks, so I'm not concerned, but still. They don't make it easy at all. I may take my chances later this week and just show up at like 8am hoping to beat the crowd and avoid the appointment scenario altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts