Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 04:54 PM

15 posts, read 11,669 times

Advertisements

My driver's license is due to be renewed in a couple months and I was thinking about getting a REAL ID, which I currently do not have. Which documents did you bring with you to the DMV to get your REAL ID? I know you can't get one by renewing it online. I don't have a passport, either. Thanks for any help offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 07:17 PM

325 posts, read 925,656 times
Just did mine; it was pretty easy. Start the process on the RMV website, it will tell you what you need. They will also probably mail you a checklist a month before your birthday (this: https://www.mass.gov/doc/acceptable-...ation/download )

Old 07-02-2022, 07:34 PM

30 posts, read 35,889 times
I brought my W-2, social security card, and marriage certificate (for name change). It's easy if you bring the right stuff, but some people in line ahead of me did get tied up because they'd brought the wrong documents or documents with key info redacted (e.g. W-2 with SSN redacted). One thing that's confusing about the online preregistration is that it's not clear how you register to get a realID (vs a regular driver's license). I just registered to get a regular driver's license and asked to do a realID when I got to my appointment at AAA.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:56 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,050,536 times
It was pretty easy. I completed the online form and just triple checked each of my documents to make sure they had the information the RMV was requesting (details on the checklist above). I used my passport, drivers license, W2 (with SSN visible), and an Eversource bill. Each document only counts once, even if it’s listed in two categories. So for example, if you bring a pay stub that displays your SSN, it can either count for proof of SSN or Proof of Residency, but not both.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:20 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times
I had a horrible time getting my RealID a year ago. I couldn't use my passport as it had recently expired and I had not yet renewed. Had to use other documents. My SS card then got rejected because it had been laminated to protect it. Recent tax documents were not accepted because they did not show the full SS# (that is now the norm). I had return home to get tax docs from many years ago which displayed the full SS#. Once I had the necessary paperwork and it was accepted, they had computer system issues at my registry office for my case. They could not get a necessary confirmation. I ended up making three separate visits to work everything out. It took them almost a week to work out their system problem after they had to log a help ticket. I then finally was mailed my RealID license.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:23 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,556,945 times
What's with the real id? Is a license not good enough? It sounds like new world order plans.

microchips are coming.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:00 AM

15 posts, read 11,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
What's with the real id? Is a license not good enough? It sounds like new world order plans.

microchips are coming.
Appreciate the help. I think I have what I need.

A REAL ID will allow you to board a plane in the US starting late next year (I believe) as well as being necessary for entering certain Federal buildings, from what I understand.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:18 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,739,625 times
If you have AAA it's much faster to get it there. I was in and out in 15 minutes or so. Brought my passport, social security card, and two bills with current address. May have brought my birth certificate in case too.

I had no idea the MA license was a real ID until I traveled in March. The TSA agent was relieved that we had real IDs.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I had a horrible time getting my RealID a year ago. I couldn't use my passport as it had recently expired and I had not yet renewed. Had to use other documents. My SS card then got rejected because it had been laminated to protect it. Recent tax documents were not accepted because they did not show the full SS# (that is now the norm). I had return home to get tax docs from many years ago which displayed the full SS#. Once I had the necessary paperwork and it was accepted, they had computer system issues at my registry office for my case. They could not get a necessary confirmation. I ended up making three separate visits to work everything out. It took them almost a week to work out their system problem after they had to log a help ticket. I then finally was mailed my RealID license.
The only issue that wasn't in your control was the last one - computer system issue.

The instructions are pretty clear in what is good and what isn't. My passport was expired, I got certified birth certificates. My SS card was laminated, I ordered a new one. My W2 and pay stubs have the SS redacted, I pull out a tax return.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
I kind of wish Massachusetts participated in the Enhanced Drivers License program. You can use it to do a land crossing into Canada without a passport. My sister is a Canadian citizen and I always worry that I'll need to get to Canada in a hurry while my passport is being renewed. With an EDL, I always have the option of driving to Montreal and hopping in an airplane, or flying to Seattle and driving to Vancouver in a rental car. I think it works for some cruise ships, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts