Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 07:13 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I haven't gotten a Real ID yet simply due to laziness, but this sort of hassle seems very discouraging to me.
It was really pretty painless for me. I had to drive 45 minutes to where there were like 5 locations closer, but was able to get a slot very soon. I guess you have to pop in at the right time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 07:13 AM

15 posts, read 11,562 times
Quote:
I haven't gotten a Real ID yet simply due to laziness, but this sort of hassle seems very discouraging to me.
Agreed. I was able to book an appointment for 9/13 late last night after 10:30. Apparently their system resets sometime around midnight and new appointments become available. Still, almost a month out. But you're right. It's a pain. I have some time tomorrow. I'm just going to show up at 8am and see if I can get in and out and just cancel the appointment.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:49 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Why does the commonwealth allow some insurance agencies to issue plates while others cannot?

Honestly if there was another private entity that stepped up and was willing to offer registry services in a fashion that saves the state money, I'm sure the commonwealth would be on board. Registry services just happens to fit nicely into AAA's business model.
Because they probably won the bid. You don't always award to multiple entities as you have to have qualificaitons.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:18 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
why do you need one? If you fly, passport works fine. courthouse? passport works fine. Why jump thru so many hoops when all you need is a vanilla license to drive. makes no sense to me.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:34 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
I just did a quick scan on the reservation system and it looks like there are appointments available in a bunch of locations (I checked Brockton, Fall River, Haymarket, Lawrence, and Lowell) and various times over the next few weeks (between now and 9/14). When I did mine last summer, I do remember having more success with the online reservation system late at night or early in the AM. I didn't think it was that bad, so long as you're not up against the clock. Walk-ins might be the best options for people who need it right away. It seemed like the reservation crowd moved through a good deal quicker though, so there is a difference.

I didn't try it, but it does seem like AAA is good alternative. And no matter what you do, double and triple check that you absolutely have the right documents for the right categories - most of the issues I've seen stem from people messing this up. The biggest mistakes were people trying to use one document for 2 categories (i.e. a W2 for both SSN documents and proof of MA residency) - you can only use one for each. The other big one was people using the correct document(s) with the wrong information. For example, your W2 or pay stub can work for your SSN documents, but you need to make sure it has your SSN on it. Not all of them do. Really, it's just a matter of double checking the documents to the list. I heard the clerks tell several people they could get the right document and come back later that day/tomorrow and skip the line, but whether they were actually able to do that, I don't know.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
why do you need one? If you fly, passport works fine. courthouse? passport works fine. Why jump thru so many hoops when all you need is a vanilla license to drive. makes no sense to me.
First of all, most Americans (still) don't have passports. Second, taking a passport along for domestic travel, just increases the chances of losing it somewhere.

I did mine at AAA, and it was super easy. Not sure why the angst.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:46 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Some people don't want to carry a passport around. Not just for fear of losing it (which isn't fun, ask me how I know...), but if it gets weathered from too frequent use (bent cover or pages, fraying, etc.), some places won't accept it. I really didn't think the Real ID process was too big a hassle at all. I filled out the online portion of the application, double checked and printed the required documentation, and showed up for my reservation where they verified the documents, took my picture, handed me a temporary ID and sent me on my way (in/out of the RMV within an hour). The Real ID came within a week. For me, it was easily worth the peace of mind knowing that if I'm going on a quick domestic trip, my passport can stay in its case at home (and my license is always readily available in my wallet). If you don't travel often or have one of the other federally accepted form of ID for air travel, you may not need a Real ID.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:21 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
First of all, most Americans (still) don't have passports. Second, taking a passport along for domestic travel, just increases the chances of losing it somewhere.

I did mine at AAA, and it was super easy. Not sure why the angst.
because I had terrible trouble with the state renewing my license. Only lived here for many many years, ancestors fought in the revolution and this crappy state wouldnt accept my BC. The state that issued the orginal told me to find a decent state to live in cause there was nothing wrong with that bc! It was a legal document and the problem was Ma.
Good friend of mine was born in boston and the rmv gave her a terrible time about her bc! She had to find an old school document to prove she was born in boston.
I had to take the same bc and get a passport so I could renew my license! I even called the DHS to ask about this bc problem. The state was blaming them for the problem. They said the states can make different rules for what they accept. They, DHS, had no problem with my bc. Neither did the passport office.
I also know someone else who worked for the feds for many years, traveled alot, and when her renewal came around she knew to use her passport. not bc, cause this state would not accept the bc.
Thats why the angst! Its crap!

Old 08-17-2022, 09:26 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I kind of wish Massachusetts participated in the Enhanced Drivers License program. You can use it to do a land crossing into Canada without a passport. My sister is a Canadian citizen and I always worry that I'll need to get to Canada in a hurry while my passport is being renewed. With an EDL, I always have the option of driving to Montreal and hopping in an airplane, or flying to Seattle and driving to Vancouver in a rental car. I think it works for some cruise ships, too.
I am pretty surprised why they didn't push states towards adopting Enhanced licenses instead, they qualify as real ids and allow plenty of people to drive across both Canadian and Mexican borders without fearing of forgetting their passports which are not commonly carried. It appears Real Id is just their form of control without much benefits.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:33 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
I anticipate the real IDs will be required for additional things in the future. I have a passport, passport card and I am in the process of renewing the drivers license as real ID this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts