Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 08:32 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92881 View Post
My driver's license is due to be renewed in a couple months and I was thinking about getting a REAL ID, which I currently do not have. Which documents did you bring with you to the DMV to get your REAL ID? I know you can't get one by renewing it online. I don't have a passport, either. Thanks for any help offered.
Keep in mind that if you're an illegal you don't need ANY ID whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 03:58 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92881 View Post
Soonest I was able to book was 9/13 as of late last evening. You're seeing appointments in Brockton for tomorrow or next week?
Yesterday morning I saw Brockton availability for next week, not this week. Doesn’t look like anything is open until mid September now. Taunton, however, had availability tomorrow as of a few minutes ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting a REAL ID in Massachusetts?-4a382f92-edae-4ed8-93d0-5fcfb73a0b32.jpeg  

Old 08-18-2022, 04:46 AM

15 posts, read 11,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yesterday morning I saw Brockton availability for next week, not this week. Doesn’t look like anything is open until mid September now. Taunton, however, had availability tomorrow as of a few minutes ago.
Interesting. I'll try Taunton as a backup then. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2022, 06:12 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As does the existence of private property (at least in this country). It seems like a very long stretch to say that since you need a real ID to fly on a plane or enter a federal building, and since the “freedom of movement” is a fundamental right, it is imperative not that everyone is issued a free real ID, but rather that AAA can’t provide an additional means for its members to obtain (a still not free) real ID.

I’m not saying it’s a logically inconsistent premise, just not one I agree with.

It’s a pragmatic policy. Allowing outside groups to perform certain low-level government functions frees up those resources for others. That those outside groups restrict access to their performance of those functions to members of their own group in no way restricts access to those outside the group. If the RMV told AAA that it had to provide service for non-members for free they’d likely just stop. The net result would be longer lines at the RMV. I’m sure if AAA restricted membership in some way other than a membership fee (say, LQBTQ+ only) there would be louder complaints. The net effect of allowing them to provide this service is greater access for everyone.

Education is considered a right, and students have access to free public education. Private schools offer education as well, but restrict it both by charging and often by allowing only certain students. The existence of private schools isn’t generally seen as infringing on the right to education, but simply as a private supplement. Do you oppose private education on similar grounds?
I think it's less-than-optimum governance and could have been done more smartly The Real ID isn't just another RMV service. It's something that many people require and there has been a deadline imposed and a rush is ensuing. I think the state could have leveraged its powers and negotiated a better scenario with AAA where they agreed to serve a portion of the general public for that one product for a limited amount of time. They would still benefit from foot traffic and would probably increase membership that way. I don't see the benefit of "freeing up space" as the best deal for the state as a whole considering the benefits AAA is getting by peddling other RMV auto services. I would however like to know more details about the arrangement and if other non-exclusive organizations would be eligible to participate in this or similar service provision if they expressed such interest. And I don't see how private schools offering private education relates to private organizations performing public services (and using those public services to both serve and enhance their private membership). Student loans might be the closest comparison but still not quite the same and a completely different conversation.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:34 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I think it's less-than-optimum governance and could have been done more smartly The Real ID isn't just another RMV service. It's something that many people require and there has been a deadline imposed and a rush is ensuing. I think the state could have leveraged its powers and negotiated a better scenario with AAA where they agreed to serve a portion of the general public for that one product for a limited amount of time. They would still benefit from foot traffic and would probably increase membership that way. I don't see the benefit of "freeing up space" as the best deal for the state as a whole considering the benefits AAA is getting by peddling other RMV auto services. I would however like to know more details about the arrangement and if other non-exclusive organizations would be eligible to participate in this or similar service provision if they expressed such interest. And I don't see how private schools offering private education relates to private organizations performing public services (and using those public services to both serve and enhance their private membership). Student loans might be the closest comparison but still not quite the same and a completely different conversation.
So your issue is with the deal that AAA negotiated with the Commonwealth? Wouldn't you need to know the details to pass judgement? Whatever the arrangement, it is at least balanced enough for the RMV and AAA to enter the deal willingly. I don't know what the deal is either, but it is quite possibly so one-sided as to unfairly favor AAA. If that were the case, I'd agree with you. I thought you were opposed to private supply of public services on a more general principle.

If you think the Commonwealth should require AAA to support non-members, I'm sure it could be arranged. I don't think it would or should be free, but I'm sure it could come out of reduced fee collection by the state. The state contracts all sorts of organizations for ostensibly public services.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
So your issue is with the deal that AAA negotiated with the Commonwealth? Wouldn't you need to know the details to pass judgement? Whatever the arrangement, it is at least balanced enough for the RMV and AAA to enter the deal willingly. I don't know what the deal is either, but it is quite possibly so one-sided as to unfairly favor AAA. If that were the case, I'd agree with you. I thought you were opposed to private supply of public services on a more general principle.

If you think the Commonwealth should require AAA to support non-members, I'm sure it could be arranged. I don't think it would or should be free, but I'm sure it could come out of reduced fee collection by the state. The state contracts all sorts of organizations for ostensibly public services.
My comments here have left open those questions. In fact, my first comment was framed as such. So I'm not sure what your problem is with my comments, other than they feed your need to engage/bicker using a host of red herrings like education is right (when its not) and private schools are performing public services (when they're not). You disagree. Okay fine, disagree that doesn't faze me; we have different opinions. What or whom are you defending here?

Old 08-18-2022, 07:07 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
One could certainly argue (philosophically if not legally) that the need for a Real ID to enter certain buildings or get on a commercial aircraft (or other restrictions yet to arise) connect to Freedom of Movement, which has been deemed a right.
This is where I think your argument is really thin. You're not required to have a Real ID. Anything that a Real ID could be used to access you can also access using your passport. So how does AAA having registry services restrict your freedom of movement?

The other issue I have with your argument is that AAA is not the only place you can get a Real ID. You can still get one from the RMV.

AAA costs $40/year I believe. If instead the RMV charged a $40 fee to expedite your Real ID processing would you have a problem with that? Such a fee exists with a passport application and I don't see you complaining about that. Simply because the expediting service is being handled by a private contractor why is that a problem? AAA does not restrict it's membership and anyone is free to join. If you pay the $40 and just use the RMV services once to "jump the line" then they're not going to care at all.

Quote:
It's interesting to see people run to the defense of a policy that favors members of certain groups to special treatment by state agencies.
Again, I look at this as . . . you pay a fee to expedite the process. Not an unusual set of circumstances even with our own federal government which again offers a fee to expedite processing your passport which is quite an analogous situation. Do you feel that favors some people? That's $60 (per passport application I believe). So even more of a financial burden than AAA membership.

If you don't want to bear the burden of a fee to expedite your application then it's simple . . . plan ahead.

Quote:
I'm very happy with my own services. I've heard the horror stories of AAA and also not interested in paying AAA to avoid an RMV line. AAA members aren't getting any different level of service to get a passport. They are available at many post offices as well as passport offices and you don't need one to go anywhere within CONUS. You can even get one expedited on your own by paying a premium to the State Department.
So here you are talking about the passport expedition fee yet . . . not a single complaint about it. Ignoring who's implementing the process (which is entirely irrelevant IMO) what's the difference?

Also, I've been a AAA member for decades. I've never had a single problem with them and when I've needed their services they've always been there and been good. I did get my Real ID at a AAA office and the process was really smooth and much more pleasant than a typical RMV visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Keep in mind that if you're an illegal you don't need ANY ID whatsoever.
Ummmm . . . they are illegal aliens after all. If you were hiding from the law because you robbed a bank would you carry an ID telling everyone who you really are? On a serious note, everyone is required to have a driver's license with them when operating a motor vehicle. So, yes, everyone is required to have an ID in certain circumstances whether you're here through legal immigration channels or otherwise.

Thanks for popping by the MA forum to push your political agenda though. You'd probably get a lot more support posting stuff like that in the Texas forum though.

Quote:
Again, AAA membership is open to the entire population. It's not the Skull and Bones Society man! Also, I just looked up the AAA membership fee in New England and the basic membership is $58.08 for the year which almost $2 less than the Feds charge to expedite a passport. There's an RMV in the Natick plaza on the turnpike. Do you think it's unfair that you have to pay a toll to access that office?

AAA handling RMV services is a huge win for the state. I wouldn't doubt it allows the state to save money. Private corporations are typically run far more efficiently than governmental agencies. There's a lot of salary and general overhead involved in the RMV. The state has been closing RMV offices for years to reduce the costs. Plus, having AAA as a partner absolutely reduces the stress and traffic on the remaining RMV offices.
No one is being forced to join AAA. You can still get RMV services directly from the RMV.

Things like expedition fees and privatization of public services are a part of our society and have been for ages. Ever been to Florida? Not that I would ever hold that state up as a model for anything except maybe warm weather, but all license plates in that state are issued by "tag dealers" which are private companies.

I really just can't see the merits of your argument. You seem just to be complaining that AAA is making money off this service which personally I don't have any issue with at all because no one is being forced to use AAA for RMV services and I have no doubt it's a mutually beneficial service where the state (and therefore the tax payers of the state) benefit financially as well. Having AAA as a partner really allows easier access to RMV services as well. There are way more locations when you add AAA offices to RMV offices now than there ever were when you could only get these services through the RMV. Again, if you don't want to pay for added convenience . . . no one is forcing you. There are still RMV offices here to help you.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
That won't get you out of serving on a jury.

I actually want to serve. I get called every 3 years like clockwork. I always get seated on a panel, and one of the lawyers always ends up booting me. Probably happened 5-6 times so far. I just assume they don't want engineers.

I wouldn't mind following through with an actual trial just once.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
This is where I think your argument is really thin. You're not required to have a Real ID. Anything that a Real ID could be used to access you can also access using your passport. So how does AAA having registry services restrict your freedom of movement?

The other issue I have with your argument is that AAA is not the only place you can get a Real ID. You can still get one from the RMV.

AAA costs $40/year I believe. If instead the RMV charged a $40 fee to expedite your Real ID processing would you have a problem with that? Such a fee exists with a passport application and I don't see you complaining about that. Simply because the expediting service is being handled by a private contractor why is that a problem? AAA does not restrict it's membership and anyone is free to join. If you pay the $40 and just use the RMV services once to "jump the line" then they're not going to care at all.

Again, I look at this as . . . you pay a fee to expedite the process. Not an unusual set of circumstances even with our own federal government which again offers a fee to expedite processing your passport which is quite an analogous situation. Do you feel that favors some people? That's $60 (per passport application I believe). So even more of a financial burden than AAA membership.

If you don't want to bear the burden of a fee to expedite your application then it's simple . . . plan ahead.

So here you are talking about the passport expedition fee yet . . . not a single complaint about it. Ignoring who's implementing the process (which is entirely irrelevant IMO) what's the difference?

Also, I've been a AAA member for decades. I've never had a single problem with them and when I've needed their services they've always been there and been good. I did get my Real ID at a AAA office and the process was really smooth and much more pleasant than a typical RMV visit.

Ummmm . . . they are illegal aliens after all. If you were hiding from the law because you robbed a bank would you carry an ID telling everyone who you really are? On a serious note, everyone is required to have a driver's license with them when operating a motor vehicle. So, yes, everyone is required to have an ID in certain circumstances whether you're here through legal immigration channels or otherwise.

Thanks for popping by the MA forum to push your political agenda though. You'd probably get a lot more support posting stuff like that in the Texas forum though.

Again, AAA membership is open to the entire population. It's not the Skull and Bones Society man! Also, I just looked up the AAA membership fee in New England and the basic membership is $58.08 for the year which almost $2 less than the Feds charge to expedite a passport. There's an RMV in the Natick plaza on the turnpike. Do you think it's unfair that you have to pay a toll to access that office?

AAA handling RMV services is a huge win for the state. I wouldn't doubt it allows the state to save money. Private corporations are typically run far more efficiently than governmental agencies. There's a lot of salary and general overhead involved in the RMV. The state has been closing RMV offices for years to reduce the costs. Plus, having AAA as a partner absolutely reduces the stress and traffic on the remaining RMV offices.
No one is being forced to join AAA. You can still get RMV services directly from the RMV.

Things like expedition fees and privatization of public services are a part of our society and have been for ages. Ever been to Florida? Not that I would ever hold that state up as a model for anything except maybe warm weather, but all license plates in that state are issued by "tag dealers" which are private companies.

I really just can't see the merits of your argument. You seem just to be complaining that AAA is making money off this service which personally I don't have any issue with at all because no one is being forced to use AAA for RMV services and I have no doubt it's a mutually beneficial service where the state (and therefore the tax payers of the state) benefit financially as well.
Real quick because I really don't have the time nor the inclination to carry on with this to such a ridiculous level here and I've already laid out my points. Real ID's are required if one cannot obtain a passport which are more money. Passports are not analogous as there is no inherent right (or general need) to travel abroad. AAA membership is open to all who can pay. AAA is being allowed to use public systems and resources to perform services they are profiting from. I don't like it philosophically and I have laid out my reasons. I'd certainly like to see how "huge" the win for the state actually is as well as know if other organizations could participate. I would point out that effective public services should be examined at least in part on a cost/benefit analysis and "benefits" for the sake of public services are not fully equivalent to "benefits" in the for-profit business realm.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:24 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
There's a special program for plate issuance and any company (including dealers) is eligible to meet the qualifications. If AAA locations were open to any resident of MA I would not have a problem with it. The fact that only AAA members can be served there for RMV Real ID service makes it different. The RMV is tacitly encouraging people to spend money at AAA to get better/faster service.
Quote:
I'd like to know why the Commonwealth is tacitly supporting and effectively favoring AAA over other businesses. Seems like an endorsement.
Quote:
My comments here have left open those questions. In fact, my first comment was framed as such. So I'm not sure what your problem is with my comments, other than they feed your need to engage/bicker using a host of red herrings like education is right (when its not) and private schools are performing public services (when they're not). You disagree. Okay fine, disagree that doesn't faze me; we have different opinions. What or whom are you defending here?
The bold is the statement I took issue with. I see no problem with a private company offering a public service to a specific group (i.e. its members) as long as such a service does not exclude other, public means. That seemed pretty clear cut. Only later did you question if the for-members program was fairly negotiated. I'm still unclear on your position.

The analogy (i.e. not a red herring) with private education is that it is also a private organization offering what is by many considered to be a public service (education, which is absolutely a right). There are many who think that the existence of selective, private education actually does erode the public right. Thus the argument would be that AAA offering these services to its members discourages the RMV from properly staffing its locations. You similar arguments for Canada banning "private healthcare".

The reason I brought it up is that it's actually a reasonable argument and makes sense in principle. Only in practice do I not seeing working out well here. Requiring AAA to help everyone without renumeration would likely make them stop helping anyone and the RMV would do nothing to pick up the slack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts