Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2022, 08:50 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
First, it was a joke. Gilded Age industrialists have been used a stand-in for the out-of-touch wealthy for many, many years. The actual Gilded Age industrialists built their mansions in Newport between about 125 and 110 years ago, so removed but actually pretty close.

Second, I'm not exactly sure what a 'groveler' is, but the fact it was built means it made sense to at least one person and more likely at least two. I can't imagine any amount of money where I'd build that house.
Forgive me for missing the joke. A groveler would be a wide-eyed cheerleader for out-of-touch wealthy power brokers. No shortage of them these days. In short, a wannabe. A "trust the elite" stooge. A 60K a year wage earner wearing a Canada Goose parka and with a picture of John F. Kerry, and maybe the Kardashian's, on the wall.

I'm sure it made sense to someone (even in 2012 when it was built) but I would venture to say it doesn't make sense to most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 08:55 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Based on how crowded the cape is every summer I'd say it's still appealing to many.

It has lost some appeal for me and my parents even have a house I can go to any time I want there. During the summer there isn't much to do other than go to the beach. If you try to do anything else you will be right there with everyone else.
We are talking about folks who can drop $30 million on a vacation home and another $250-$400k/year on its upkeep. Just more convenient to get NetJets membership and rent luxury villas in Barbados, Maldives, Seychelles, Bali etc.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:56 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
That house is beautiful. If I had 30 million I'd buy it.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
We are talking about folks who can drop $30 million on a vacation home and another $250-$400k/year on its upkeep. Just more convenient to get NetJets membership and rent luxury villas in Barbados, Maldives, Seychelles, Bali etc.
I would guess one of two things here:

1) Someone convinced themselves that it would be a 'good investment'. Being good at one way of making money often leads some to believe that they're good at other ways of making money even when that isn't true.

2). Someone wanted this exact house and had enough money to make it happen. That person can no longer live there. And so the house has to be sold for a loss.

I would add that the NetJet + exotic rentals appeals to some, but not all. Lots of people want to nest.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:26 AM

I dont see that house as a good investment. It's 30 million bucks and close to the ocean...it could be in the ocean someday. Anyone who buys that house will likely have so much money that they won't even be thinking about that.

I say turn it into a hotel

Old 12-12-2022, 09:41 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
That house was built in 2004 and purchased in 2011 for $4.5 by Amin J. Khoury, the founder of a number of companies. He's 83 YO, has F/U money, and this is probably his summer house when he wants to get away from Palm Beach.

It's probably an unrealistic price but I'm sure he's not desperate to dump it.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:42 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I dont see that house as a good investment. It's 30 million bucks and close to the ocean...it could be in the ocean someday. Anyone who buys that house will likely have so much money that they won't even be thinking about that.

I say turn it into a hotel
You can't just turn a house in a residential area into a hotel. They got laws against that.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:51 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
Sure, if that's what they prefer. But someone who can drop $30 million on a vacation home likely doesn't have to choose either/or. And considering that even on a Gulfstream G800, you're looking at upwards of 48 hours of round trip travel time to get to those Indian Ocean and South Pacific paradises, it's a lot more convenient to drive (or be driven) 1-2 hours to your weekend house if you want to get away frequently. And if you have kids, friends and family you'd like to spend time with, it's much easier in the 15,000 square foot home a few hours drive from their homes than it is coordinate flights across the planet for everyone. This is all to say nothing of the "status" that comes with owning the largest home in an already elite area. There are plenty of millionaires who have their mansions on the Cape/Islands where they weekend and still manage to jet off to exotic locations for "real" vacations.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:52 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You can't just turn a house in a residential area into a hotel. They got laws against that.
I could really care less what happens with this house.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:10 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
No takers on this beauty? $30 mil in Barnstable, on the market almost a year and no price reductions yet!

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Osterville.../home/77352840

When i hit the lotto for $1Bil again, that's the one i'm gonng buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts