Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 05:56 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,747,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which, if accurate, completely refutes Desantis and his fellow right wing politicos claims that "sanctuary states" wouldn't have the policies they have if they actually felt the impact of undocumented immigrants in their communties.
You're trying to debate Desantis in absentia, but that's not necessarily true. The impacts of an unsecured border on the border states that deal with the immediate impacts is not comparable to those who successfully migrate up to the NE. What we deal with is generally a more sophisticated population and the negatives are more of a slow burn than what border states experience. We also have been buying our way out of a lot of the issues, at the biggest expense of the working and middle classes along similar lines to CA. That won't last forever. We've got homeless veterans and other citizens living on the streets, while aliens get the red carpet treatment from pols.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-14-2022 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What's being overlooked is the distinction between legal immigrants and people who sneak in or people who ask for asylum.

Legal immigrants are usually welcome anywhere. They usually have needed skills, they pay money, they have sponsors to keep them off the public dole, they are vetted carefully. Few would be against that. They passed the tests and they usually make good, contributing citizens.

The issue is with the others and why they are allowed to just walk in. Something needs to be done. Nothing is ever done. Some truly deserve asylum. Some don't. But they do need a court hearing and they need to be housed somewhere, not turned loose to overrun the border states and not bussed all over the country either. They need to stay somewhere safe and secure and they need to wait there for their court hearing. WHAT IS THE POLICY ON THEM? or are we just going to let this mess go on forever so that rich people can get cheap labor from near slaves?
That had at least been temporarily addressed, prior to being dismantled by the current Administration.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:21 PM

24,808 posts, read 11,209,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
How do you know where her grandparents were from?
She posted it here. Search option is not my friend though. So I cannot give you the specific post.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:31 PM

24,808 posts, read 11,209,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Um no. We listed like 10 countries where were getting asylum seekers from.

I can think of plenty of countries that are livable not in the United States or Europe.

Barbados, Trinidad, Japan, Australia, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, the Bahamas, Ghana, Senegal, Botswana, South Africa, Canada, Singapore, Gabon...
Is this what you are talking about - TPS?
https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/co...rced-departure

Some reading for you. the latest published numbers I found.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...s_fy2020_1.pdf

Does anyone here know what happened to Obama's auntie who enjoyed US hospitality based on - what?

Old 10-14-2022, 06:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
[i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
What we deal with is generally a more sophisticated population and the negatives are more of a slow burn than what border states experience.

Love to see the study showing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
We've got homeless veterans and other natives living on the streets, while aliens get the red carpet treatment from pols.
Aliens, either legal or undocumented, don't get any such red carpet treatment. Quite the opposite. Legal immigrants have to show they won't use most public safety net features for a considerable period of time. Undocumented immigrants aren't eligible at all (despite the myths). Asylum seekers, are a third category and treated a bit different.

So lets get all homeless off the street (those that want to). Easy enough to do. Re-institute the progressive tax rate tiers of the 1950s (MAGA era) for both people and corporations, put the money into housing and support (health, mental and physical, training, etc.) Public housing post WW2 (much of it for returning veterans in the face of the housing shortage of the time) was well funded and supported and very much a gateway to the middle class. We all know what happened with that support, and why. Or at least I hope people here do. I'm all for it. Make America Great Again and raise the money that's needed to have a properly run country.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:41 PM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
Quote:
Public housing post WW2 was well funded and supported and very much a gateway to the middle class. We all know what happened with that support, and why. Or at least I hope people here do.
The tax cuts trickled down and made everyone rich?

Old 10-14-2022, 06:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The tax cuts trickled down and made everyone rich?
You know, historians show us that when desegregation of public housing happened, public support and government support dried up.

But maybe you're onto another reason! That's why we see less concentration of wealth now than then, and less income inequality now.... oh wait. Darn. Guess not.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
[i]

Love to see the study showing this.

Aliens, either legal or undocumented, don't get any such red carpet treatment. Quite the opposite. Legal immigrants have to show they won't use most public safety net features for a considerable period of time. Undocumented immigrants aren't eligible at all (despite the myths). Asylum seekers, are a third category and treated a bit different.

So lets get all homeless off the street (those that want to). Easy enough to do. Re-institute the progressive tax rate tiers of the 1950s (MAGA era) for both people and corporations, put the money into housing and support (health, mental and physical, training, etc.) Public housing post WW2 (much of it for returning veterans in the face of the housing shortage of the time) was well funded and supported and very much a gateway to the middle class. We all know what happened with that support, and why. Or at least I hope people here do. I'm all for it. Make America Great Again and raise the money that's needed to have a properly run country.

Well let's see, how quickly were the 50 migrants relocated to a military base? Haven't seen that kind of effort directed at Vets down on the Common or Mass and Cass, or the numerous tent cities in this country. What dominates the public debate among our politicians here in MA on a regular basis? It's not our own domestic issues.

The Public Charge Rule was not being enforced before the Trump Administration and the Rule that was established by them has since been dismantled. The new Rule takes effect this December and we will see how it's applied and enforced. I'm not optimistic. It does allow benefits for food health and housing. So all your blather about not showing they need public benefits is as much bunk as our border is secure. Even before 2018 they didn't need to prove anything. They just needed to declare they never got benefits.

It's also inaccurate that illegal aliens can't get any benefits. They are eligible for federal subsidized housing if they share it with at least one legally present family member and pay a portion of the rent. In MA those under 19 are eligible for the healthcare safety net.

This state spends a fortune on healthcare for those here illegally. For example, in 2015 the State Auditor's office reported that Mass Health paid about $35 million in questionable or not allowed benefits and a huge chunk was attributable to unlawful aliens. The actual amount spent on healthcare for that population is likely astronomical. The US spends about 17 Billion on such healthcare: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...h=32ac962e61aa

Those who don't have their own lives and homes in order are in no position to take on the responsibility of caring for others. That's the situation we are in here in the US. Our house is not in order and we simply are not in the position to absorb the migration in the amount and types we are seeing. All the pie-in-the-sky naive thinking in the world won't change that fact.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-14-2022 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 08:09 PM

16,896 posts, read 8,569,313 times
It is sickening how much effort went into helping the 50 migrants. I mentioned before that someone close to me had to work on the naval base for a few weeks helping them and she even thought it was ridiculous. She's far more compassionate than I am about these things.

We let other people rot and could give a damn about them but do whatever it takes to help people who came here illegally. So tired of it.

Old 10-15-2022, 05:07 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
Quote:
You know, historians show us that when desegregation of public housing happened, public support and government support dried up.

But maybe you're onto another reason! That's why we see less concentration of wealth now than then, and less income inequality now.... oh wait. Darn. Guess not.
In my town, support for public housing dried up and blew away when the state took away the ability to prioritize public housing for town residents. People are tribal. They’ll support social democratic policies if they only benefit their tribe. It’s why lilly white Vermont can try to do it. It’s also why Norway was paying Syrian refugees €10.000 to GTFO of Norway.

This KKK meeting of a thread certainly illustrates the tribal nature. We all belong to tribes. My tribe is educated white collar people. It’s fairly race/color/creed agnostic but it certainly supports socioeconomic segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts