Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 01:54 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
. . . . and look!!! The Zestimate is $1,450,800. It's SO accurate. Amazing!!!! How do they do it?!?!?

Honestly in this current age of teardowns, I'm not so sure that old adage is completely reliable anymore. In today's world, there's just SO much redevelopment happening. Back when that advice was first coined, the world was still being built out. Today, I think you have to look at the aspects of the neighborhood and the rest of the homes in the neighborhood and decide "what is the likelihood that this neighborhood will continue to be redeveloped?" As a first mover in a redeveloping neighborhood, you get a discount on the price and as the neighborhood continues to redevelop your house will be worth more and more. It's not dissimilar to trying to figure out "what the next neighborhood in Boston to gentrify?" If you had bought a Brownstone in the 80's in the South End they were going for around $300K for the whole thing back then. Today that same Brownstone if renovated would be worth probably between $4M and $7M.
How many people need or even want a 5500 sq foot house planted in a neighborhood of small capes and ranches? How many of the lots in that neighborhood realistically support a house that size? I guess what you're saying is no one wants small houses and that all neighborhoods with small houses are eventually going to be re developed into Mcmansion neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 02:02 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
How many people need or even want a 5500 sq foot house planted in a neighborhood of small capes and ranches? How many of the lots in that neighborhood realistically support a house that size? I guess what you're saying is no one wants small houses and that all neighborhoods with small houses are eventually going to be re developed into Mcmansion neighborhoods?
apparently people dont care. as long as the mcmansion is in a town they like they dont seem to care about the surrounding homes.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
apparently people dont care. as long as the mcmansion is in a town they like they dont seem to care about the surrounding homes.
I'd care if I was a neighbor. I wouldn't want to be living in the cape or ranch nextdoor to that behemoth that is now blocking all the sun light from streaming in my windows.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:37 PM

Default re

Quote:
I'd care if I was a neighbor. I wouldn't want to be living in the cape or ranch nextdoor to that behemoth that is now blocking all the sun light from streaming in my windows.
Same. In my neighborhood 3 farmhouse mcmansions have gone up over the past two years. Two of the homes really changed the view from my backyard. My DH tries to say they increased our value but I dont care about that. I liked the woods as we all know.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Same. In my neighborhood 3 farmhouse mcmansions have gone up over the past two years. Two of the homes really changed the view from my backyard. My DH tries to say they increased our value but I don't care about that. I liked the woods as we all know.
I'm all for renovating existing homes. However, I'm not a big fan of tear downs and new builds that are out of place or don't really jive with an existing neighborhood. Even worse in my opinion is if they take away lots of green space/wooded buffer from an existing neighborhood to throw up some new homes. Pretty soon we're all gonna be living in houses that look directly into our neighbors windows seeing as they're throwing them up anywhere and everywhere.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:58 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:

They sell like hot cakes in my neck of the woods. There are three plots where homes have been recently razed which will likely give way to a 7-figure behemoth of a 4000+ sf house in the next few months. 2-3 we’re done late last year.

I agree that it doesn’t quite fit in a neighborhood of 2000-2500 sf ranches and splits, but it seems this is what tends to be built. When i moved in 8 years ago there were none? But now there are more than a handful and more tear-downs coming it seems.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:00 PM

We get it that they are selling...but the question is why? It's likely because inventory is low and people need to live somewhere. Maybe they would have lived in an old home that wasn't renovated had it been available.

Green space is gonna be the next hot thing...trust me. There's just not much of it so people are going to want to pay more for it.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They sell like hot cakes in my neck of the woods. There are three plots where homes have been recently razed which will likely give way to a 7-figure behemoth of a 4000+ sf house in the next few months. 2-3 we’re done late last year.

I agree that it doesn’t quite fit in a neighborhood of 2000-2500 sf ranches and splits, but it seems this is what tends to be built. When i moved in 8 years ago there were none? But now there are more than a handful and more tear-downs coming it seems.
So how are you going to feel living in the only split left in your neighborhood? Are you going to cave and sell out to the developer so he can raze your home too?

Old 05-11-2023, 03:53 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
We get it that they are selling...but the question is why? It's likely because inventory is low and people need to live somewhere. Maybe they would have lived in an old home that wasn't renovated had it been available.

Green space is gonna be the next hot thing...trust me. There's just not much of it so people are going to want to pay more for it.
They are selling because people want them. Not everyone has your same tastes.

I can't stand the Tesla model Y but it is the best selling SUV now. Whoops, I forgot we're not allowed to talk about cars here.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times
Quote:
So how are you going to feel living in the only split left in your neighborhood? Are you going to cave and sell out to the developer so he can raze your home too?
If it makes sense to, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts