Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2023, 03:41 PM

16,404 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course the loss of WFH is a possibility, it's just pretty unlikely one would sell at such a loss for only that reason.
Seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 03:46 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think it's unusual at all for people to move when they can no longer WFH.
We get it. You've clearly made up your mind on that.

I don't know anyone who's been 'forced' back 5 days a week. My next door neighbors moved in in 2021 and at the time they were completely WFH and now they go in once a week. A reasonable employer isn't going to make someone come in 5 days a week after being remote for so long. No one is going to sell because of a 1 day a week commute.

This wfh argument/debate and assuming people are selling over loss of wfh is exhausting. I have not once heard of a situation where someone sold a home they had recently purchased because they had to return to the office.

Maybe they hated the town, the more neighbors but it's more likely they got divorced or someone died. A long commute is not a reason to take that kind of loss. Maybe someone lost a job. So many reasons other than the dreaded goddam wfh was taken away

Old 11-12-2023, 04:02 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
I don't think it's unusual at all for people to move when they can no longer WFH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
We get it. You've clearly made up your mind on that.

I don't know anyone who's been 'forced' back 5 days a week. My next door neighbors moved in in 2021 and at the time they were completely WFH and now they go in once a week. A reasonable employer isn't going to make someone come in 5 days a week after being remote for so long. No one is going to sell because of a 1 day a week commute.

This wfh argument/debate and assuming people are selling over loss of wfh is exhausting. I have not once heard of a situation where someone sold a home they had recently purchased because they had to return to the office.

Maybe they hated the town, the more neighbors but it's more likely they got divorced or someone died. A long commute is not a reason to take that kind of loss. Maybe someone lost a job. So many reasons other than the dreaded goddam wfh was taken away
Who is We? And it has nothing to do with clearly making up my mind about anything. It's simply reality despite you not knowing anyone personally who has moved.

You seem really angry.

And divorce is very likely more of a problem than the cost associated with moving closer to work. In some/many cases, neither the husband or wife would be able to afford a house if they got divorced.

The bottom line is that none of us have any idea why these people are selling, and losing WFH is as valid a theory as any other that has been presented.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:06 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Say they lose their job and their new job is mostly in person.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:07 PM

You seem angry too lol. Offended by the head slap one. Anyone who bought a house because they could suddenly work from home was not smart. They had to have known there was a chance they'd have to go back. I really don't think anyone would sell a house at a loss like that because of having to return to an office in Boston. Maybe they had to go to another state or as I said lost a job. Most people would just suck it up for a few more years

I don't think losing wfh is a reasonable explanation for selling a house so quickly

Old 11-12-2023, 04:08 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Say they lose their job and their new job is mostly in person.
I mentioned that. Maybe they lost a job. I still don't buy selling a house because the job is in person in Boston. It's not that far.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You seem angry too lol. Offended by the head slap one. Anyone who bought a house because they could suddenly work from home was not smart. They had to have known there was a chance they'd have to go back. I really don't think anyone would sell a house at a loss like that because of having to return to an office in Boston. Maybe they had to go to another state or as I said lost a job. Most people would just suck it up for a few more years

I don't think losing wfh is a reasonable explanation for selling a house so quickly
I'm not angry at all. But you're right that I didn't care for that head smack.

I disagree it wasn't a reasonable theory. I'll repeat:

Quote:
4/27/2023 Listed for sale
$849,900

5/16/2023 Listing removed
$849,900

10/26/2023 Listed for sale
$849,000

If you recall, May 11 or 12 is when all restrictions were removed. The people living in that house may have been told in April that their WFH would end on May 11 or 12. It very well could be why the house was listed on April 27. And after 3 weeks of getting no bites at a 60k loss, they may have decided they'll just deal with the commute. Fast forward 5 months, tired of the commute, the house goes back up for sale.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:58 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
It looks like they put around $200K down when they bought it...so even if they sell it at this big loss...they'll still be walking away with around $100K after the sale closes. I wouldn't want to lose $100K though on a home sale....I'd try every avenue to wait it out until conditions improved and attempt to sell it at a break even or profit.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It looks like they put around $200K down when they bought it...so even if they sell it at this big loss...they'll still be walking away with around $100K after the sale closes. I wouldn't want to lose $100K though on a home sale....I'd try every avenue to wait it out until conditions improved and attempt to sell it at a break even or profit.
Imagine if it's a divorce situation. They'd both need to find a house with only 50k. Unlikely either of them could afford the monthly payments.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:19 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
The only other thing about that place is that it's been bought and sold a bunch of times. For a newish place that seems a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts