Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 01:49 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Here's a recently sold $100K over lister (sold for $720K) basic ranch in Weymouth....20 Liberty St, Weymouth, MA 02190 | Zillow

I can't believe people are still offering $100K + over list in this high interest rate environment....these examples are not cash buys either!
I feel like weymouth has potential if not for some of the shady people that live there...720k on that house seems like lot...but people pay more than that for condos in the city in crime ridden areas also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 02:09 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,826,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I feel like weymouth has potential if not for some of the shady people that live there...720k on that house seems like lot...but people pay more than that for condos in the city in crime ridden areas also
Weymouth has crime more than some of the other nearby towns.....it's crowded.....it's not a charming town....kind of blah and lots of ugly faded, vinyl sided homes too. I guess they're paying for the 'reasonable' commute into Cambridge/Boston. I don't see any other reason why this place should be worthy of a $720K price tag.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:14 PM

Default re

Quote:
Weymouth has crime more than some of the other nearby towns.....it's crowded.....it's not a charming town....kind of blah and lots of ugly faded, vinyl sided homes too. I guess they're paying for the 'reasonable' commute into Cambridge/Boston. I don't see any other reason why this place should be worthy of a $720K price tag.
well yes the shorter commute is i guess what people want. I've said for a while that i'm not sure how it hasn't gotten better...i mean it does have parts of it that are on the water as well...also right next to Hingham which you'd think there'd be some spillover (and there is sometimes), has a good mall, commuter rail, not far from braintree redline...the schools aren't great but typically when more professional people move in and have kids the schools get better.

Old 11-26-2023, 02:31 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
I always heard there was a lot of Section 8 in Weymouth.

Anyway, I'll always remember this thread from years ago about the deterioration of Weymouth:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...riorating.html

Old 11-26-2023, 02:49 PM

There maybe is a lot of section 8 I don't know. In 2009 (when that post was from) the economy wasn't good. Maybe some places took a hit. In 2015 I knew of some young professional couples who bought in a new development in Weymouth and commuted all the way to Cambridge. I can't imagine they were the only ones who did that. Is Braintree really much better than Weymouth?

Old 11-26-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

Anyway, I'll always remember this thread from years ago about the deterioration of Weymouth:

Section 8, drugs, and ugly faded vinyl sided houses is what I think of when I hear Weymouth.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
Quote:
Recent $600K over list price sale in Westwood!

$513K over, not $600K.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
$513K over, not $600K.
whatever, still just as outrageous.

Old 11-26-2023, 03:47 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

The Great Hill area (right by the area discussed in that thread), has gotten very desirable with money pouring in and extensive renovations everywhere you look. It really is a beautiful area. Rte. 3A is still dumpy, but none of that graffiti shown in the 2009 post is still around. Must have hit a rough patch for a few years then, but it's cleaned up quite a bit. My main hangup buying there would be the compressor station nearby, that could be a liability. And of course when the next recession hits, Weymouth is likely to fall harder than the more desirable towns (and the deterioration that comes with it ie. the 2009 photos). The same person is not going to pay $700K there for an average house, when they now have options in Braintree or Hingham.

Weymouth has its issues for sure, but I think it gets an unfair bad rap on this forum. It's miles better and safer than some of the inner city ghetto neighborhoods that are constantly defended here. I'd also take it over Rockland, Holbrook and plenty of other area towns. Majority of it is middle class working people.

Quote:
Is Braintree really much better than Weymouth?

I don't know about "much" better, but significantly better. It's just a more desirable town.

Old 11-26-2023, 05:13 PM

Braintree doesn't seem great to me. I guess it's the redline and mall that turn me off. Seems like many people I've known leave Braintree for places like hingham, Duxbury, Hanover etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts