Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 11:41 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Same here. It doesn't seem "easily" affordable to me, and we don't have kids or any significant debt beyond our current mortgage and a single car payment.

You're also not imagining anything. I know a couple who closed on a $650k home in May with 5% down. Single income, about $130k, and no help from families. He's in his early 30s and has saved well and lived modestly so there's a rainy day fund, but that nets them around $3k/mo after the housing payment. He is entirely convinced that rates will drop steeply in the next year or so and that he can drop that mortgage from nearly $5k to about $3,000.

I think there are a lot of buyers over the past several years in the same boat. There may be a lot of $250k+ households in Eastern, MA but there are also a lot of households under that stretching to the max (beyond, I'm sure) to afford homes right now. And not all of those $250k+ households are devoid of student loans, credit card debts, bloated car payments, childcare costs, and other expenses that would make $5k/month easy, even for them. I just can't imagine living that way.
So they only put $32.5K down and are able to afford PITI plus PMI (for putting less than 20% down) on only $130K per year income and they are still able to pay for all of life's other expenses as well? Doesn't seem plausible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 11:47 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
No, that's just the mortgage. That would be insane if I could get mortgage, taxes, insurance all for $1K! Mine is more like $1400-1500 after taxes and insurance. I don't think this is going to be the 'forever' house though so I'm sure I'll be paying thru the nose if/when I do move!
My mortgage alone is $640. Taxes and insurance bring the monthly amount up to nearly $1,200.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:47 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
That's a good point that maybe some people are betting on being able to refinance to get a lower payment.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:57 AM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Also keep in mind that you can deduct mortgage interest. And in some cases, that could put you in a lower tax bracket.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
My mortgage alone is $640. Taxes and insurance bring the monthly amount up to nearly $1,200.
That's incredible! I usually don't hear of too many who say they have a mortgage that low....whenever I tell someone about mine they are in awe....they'd really be in awe about yours! Next best thing to a paid off house.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That's a good point that maybe some people are betting on being able to refinance to get a lower payment.
That's pretty risky though. Will they come down....sure...probably to 5-6%. I hope people aren't buying and stretching it with the expectation they'll be back down to 2-3% next year.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:36 PM

222 posts, read 116,459 times
Quote:
So they only put $32.5K down and are able to afford PITI plus PMI (for putting less than 20% down) on only $130K per year income and they are still able to pay for all of life's other expenses as well? Doesn't seem plausible.
I agree. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Also keep in mind that you can deduct mortgage interest. And in some cases, that could put you in a lower tax bracket.
This has been overhyped imo. The standard deduction is now usually more than enough to avoid itemizing and claiming mort interest.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:38 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Based on what he's told me, yeah. We're fairly close and we've had several fairly in-depth discussions about the process. He did a very good job of saving in his 20s. Lived with the parents for a while, lived (and still lives) quite modestly (cheap, really), and didn't take on any debt. He drives a 10 year old Corolla and paid off his student loans by 24 or 25. They rarely go out to eat or on vacations. So I could see "life's other expenses" being far lower than average. It's a new construction condo so there's a warranty on all of the appliances and the construction itself which takes some pressure off.

There are variables I'm not clear on. His girlfriend has been sporadically employed (she's an artist) and I don't know what she has in the bank, nor do I know what her contributions are. His parents have money, so I'm not sure if they help (though they didn't with the down payment). My math still puts the income after PITI/PMI at levels I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with, so I suppose there's more going on than I know. But I know how much he makes, he told me how much he put down, and I've been to the place. So I'm not sure what I'm missing. Regardless, I wouldn't do it even if I could.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Based on what he's told me, yeah. We're fairly close and we've had several fairly in-depth discussions about the process. He did a very good job of saving in his 20s. Lived with the parents for a while, lived (and still lives) quite modestly (cheap, really), and didn't take on any debt. He drives a 10 year old Corolla and paid off his student loans by 24 or 25. They rarely go out to eat or on vacations. So I could see "life's other expenses" being far lower than average. It's a new construction condo so there's a warranty on all of the appliances and the construction itself which takes some pressure off.

There are variables I'm not clear on. His girlfriend has been sporadically employed (she's an artist) and I don't know what she has in the bank, nor do I know what her contributions are. His parents have money, so I'm not sure if they help (though they didn't with the down payment). My math still puts the income after PITI/PMI at levels I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with, so I suppose there's more going on than I know. But I know how much he makes, he told me how much he put down, and I've been to the place. So I'm not sure what I'm missing. Regardless, I wouldn't do it even if I could.
Does he contribute to 401k or retirement too? Seems like that would be real tight. Having no car payment is nice but I fear for anyone's safety who is driving a 10 yr old corolla...they just aren't safe with all the crazy drivers on the roads today who are in much bigger and newer cars (advanced safety tech).

Old 11-29-2023, 12:48 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
This has been overhyped imo. The standard deduction is now usually more than enough to avoid itemizing and claiming mort interest.
With an 8% interest rate, it will be well worth itemizing in most cases.

"The 2023 standard deduction is $13,850 for single filers, $27,700 for joint filers or $20,800 for heads of household."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts