Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 08:29 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
He also got the job after getting the house...some people just don't want to move. In this market I can see why.
Luckily for me commuting to Cambridge every day is a non issue since I WFH. However, I'd love to move for different reasons (mentioned above). That is probably going to get old for him after awhile.....that's what almost anyone would call a soul crushing commute! Not to mention health impacts from the stress of commuting and sitting in traffic all the time on route 3 everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 08:37 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Luckily for me commuting to Cambridge every day is a non issue since I WFH. However, I'd love to move for different reasons (mentioned above). That is probably going to get old for him after awhile.....that's what almost anyone would call a soul crushing commute! Not to mention health impacts from the stress of commuting and sitting in traffic all the time on route 3 everyday.
what are the health impacts of sitting in the car for that long? Some handle it better than others I'm sure.

I mean is there any job that doesn't have health impacts these days? Some people sit for 8 hours at a desk which is now seen as unhealthy. Some people have jobs where they have to lift heavy things (nurses, construction workers and other laborers, etc). If you're a cop or an uber driver you might be driving around in a car all day. Some people have jobs where they have to be outside in the heat or cold. Some people have jobs where they work nights. Commuting on the T every day is also stressful.

Im not arguing with you that it's not a bad commute but people are getting more and more lazy and particular about working conditions it seems. People get crap for WFH and people also get crap if they have a long commute. What are people to do? lol.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
what are the health impacts of sitting in the car for that long? Some handle it better than others I'm sure.

I mean is there any job that doesn't have health impacts these days? Some people sit for 8 hours at a desk which is now seen as unhealthy. Some people have jobs where they have to lift heavy things (nurses, construction workers and other laborers, etc). If you're a cop or an uber driver you might be driving around in a car all day. Some people have jobs where they have to be outside in the heat or cold. Some people have jobs where they work nights. Commuting on the T every day is also stressful.

Im not arguing with you that it's not a bad commute but people are getting more and more lazy and particular about working conditions it seems. People get crap for WFH and people also get crap if they have a long commute. What are people to do? lol.
Well at least with WFH you can 'sneak' in some treadmill time, or taking the dog for a walk, or some gardening, lawn mowing time to get your health and heart in check. Commuting in to the city doesn't give you that option so that's why I'd say it's worse. Of course there are some professions that are limiting on what you can do, police, uber they should all be able to be pretty active outside of a vehicle at certain points during the day and be able to take a walk or whatever.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:45 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Well at least with WFH you can 'sneak' in some treadmill time, or taking the dog for a walk, or some gardening, lawn mowing time to get your health and heart in check. Commuting in to the city doesn't give you that option so that's why I'd say it's worse. Of course there are some professions that are limiting on what you can do, police, uber they should all be able to be pretty active outside of a vehicle at certain points during the day and be able to take a walk or whatever.
I am very much pro WFH and I'm dismayed that people have been forced back to an office. Some jobs you simply can't WFH of course.

I dont know that there are many or any perfect setting jobs where there is no stress or health impacts. Someone who has no job is still experiencing negative health impacts of life as well.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I am very much pro WFH and I'm dismayed that people have been forced back to an office. Some jobs you simply can't WFH of course.

I dont know that there are many or any perfect setting jobs where there is no stress or health impacts. Someone who has no job is still experiencing negative health impacts of life as well.
Yes, I've never worked in an office even pre - Covid. If I was ever forced with having to report into an office on the regular I'd probably be fired or have to find a new profession that didn't require that. Commuting in to an office and back each day is totally not for me!!

Old 09-12-2023, 10:04 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
That's terrible. Did he live in Kingston cause he thought he could WFH forever?
He moved to Kingston long before work from home was a thing. His wife grew up in a nearby town and that is where they could afford to buy a house. So the pandemic was a bit of a gift for him commute wise. He got a few years off from driving.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:06 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
yes, he told me their mortgage is ridiculously low, they love where they live so he deals.
Yes, same with my son. They got their house when houses were less expensive and rates were lower. So not moving. Just dealing with the commute as best he can.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:53 PM

Anyone looking for affordable in the $300K range, check out this hoarder house in Whitman for $350K! OMG how do people live in filth like that unless they have a mental disorder....even disabled but mentally sane wouldn't live like that so I don't wanna hear oh, it's an elderly disabled person. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...59190912_zpid/

Old 09-12-2023, 01:46 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
We never really forced people back into the office. Our particular industry has high-level positions that can't WFH. You can't move the lab into your garage.

But i think having that high-level talent in office all the time sort of convinced others working at home to come back. I got the sense they felt like they were on the outside looking in when their team was meeting face-to-face and having discussions that didn't always include them because it's easy to get up and walk 20 feet to talk to someone, vs setup a call.

I can only speculate, but we had some layoffs back in April and the last WFH holdouts started coming back on their own. No company mandate. They just came back

My one WFH employee is back as well. I never asked her to come back. She volunteered after the april layoffs.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My one WFH employee is back as well. I never asked her to come back. She volunteered after the april layoffs.
See that's the kind of behavior I kind of expected. Be pretty easy to target WFHers in layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts