Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 08:21 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not sure what financial services place you speak of but apparently layofffs are happening in finance. I know a few scared folks.
Well there you go. Not that I don't think there are benefits to WFH, but I can't fault those that want to preserve their jobs by showing more face time.

The company I'm referring to has a brand new shiny skyscraper in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 08:24 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,826,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Weird sentiment given how much we talk about needing dual incomes to support cost of living. Or if it's a single income household, the breadwinner definitely wants to preserve their job.

As I mentioned previously I know at least a couple of people who are looking and they said remote jobs are rare and hard to get. Who are the "plenty of companies" that you speak of?

I also just heard today that a very large financial services firm in Boston is going to require FOUR days in office starting in November (up from two days currently).
Well, not everyone needs a dual income to support cost of living and many (including myself) also don't live in fear trying to preserve my job. Stay marketable, stay networking and always be open to new opps. Meanwhile, enjoy the job you have if you like it and if it works with your current lifestyle (until of course a company decides to re-org, drop the gauntlet or change their rules). Then it's time to start sending out that updated resume you've had on standby and make use of all those connections you've stayed in contact with to find something that suits you once again.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:25 PM

17,685 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
I also just heard today that a very large financial services firm in Boston is going to require FOUR days in office starting in November (up from two days currently).
I doubt that happens. Covid is everywhere right now. We are at a point where almost everyone knows someone who currently has covid. And if you don't, give it a week or two.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Well there you go. Not that I don't think there are benefits to WFH, but I can't fault those that want to preserve their jobs by showing more face time.

The company I'm referring to has a brand new shiny skyscraper in Boston.
The thought of having to show more face time because you think it will preserve your job sounds so silly. If your position is being eliminated it's being eliminated regardless of face time or not.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:11 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The thought of having to show more face time because you think it will preserve your job sounds so silly. If your position is being eliminated it's being eliminated regardless of face time or not.
I agree. If your job is important and vital it shouldn't matter where you're doing it.

I know a few people in finance who had to be dragged back in about a year ago. These were people making 500k+ salaries and now it sounds like some are in danger of layoffs.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:27 AM

Quote:
If there’s five people with the same position and they need to cut one or two, it may matter. I’m not saying it’s right but it’s human nature.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:05 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Quote:

Yes, State Street, my best friend who works there told me that yesterday. He suspects a lot of people will considering leaving - which may be part of their plan.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
If there’s five people with the same position and they need to cut one or two, it may matter. I’m not saying it’s right but it’s human nature.
IF all 5 have the same option to WFH or go into the office and they choose to cut the ones who continue to WFH....well, I'm guessing the ones who got cut will be happier once they find a new company where they can continue WFH.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:19 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
What if the wfh folks are more experienced and better at the job than the people choosing to go into the office? Maybe the people who go into the office live closer. So many factors. Not one size fits all.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
IF all 4 have the same option to WFH or go into the office and they choose to cut the ones who continue to WFH....well, I'm guessing the ones who got cut will be happier once they find a new company where they can continue WFH.
Sure but it doesn’t mean they are “sheep” for not wanting to be laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts