Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 03:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,840,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We never really forced people back into the office. Our particular industry has high-level positions that can't WFH. You can't move the lab into your garage.

But i think having that high-level talent in office all the time sort of convinced others working at home to come back. I got the sense they felt like they were on the outside looking in when their team was meeting face-to-face and having discussions that didn't always include them because it's easy to get up and walk 20 feet to talk to someone, vs setup a call.

I can only speculate, but we had some layoffs back in April and the last WFH holdouts started coming back on their own. No company mandate. They just came back

My one WFH employee is back as well. I never asked her to come back. She volunteered after the april layoffs.
That's what I call being a sheep, coming back just b/c you see others back in office and then boom a layoff to use as a scare tactic so you go back when there hasn't been any official mandate to come back? So, why go back in and give corporate America what they want ?! Plenty of other companies out there, find a good one that works for your lifestyle and is a good mutual fit. Companies won't remember the extra time you gave them 3 years from now but your family will remember the extra hours you weren't around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 03:21 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
That's what I call being a sheep, coming back just b/c you see others back in office and then boom a layoff to use as a scare tactic so you go back when there hasn't been any official mandate to come back? So, why go back in and give corporate America what they want ?! Plenty of other companies out there, find a good one that works for your lifestyle and is a good mutual fit. Companies won't remember the extra time you gave them 3 years from now but your family will remember the extra hours you weren't around.
oh man I will not be a sheep. I know a few colleagues who go into the office weekly, they live somewhat close by in places like brookline and somerville. it seems to be their choice, no one is asking them. I did go in once and it was a ridiculous commute to and from and just not worth it. I am greatful that I haven't been forced back in, if i am i would probably look elsewhere. There's just no real reason for me to be in the office when I've been WFH since march 2020. I will argue, I'll go to HR before I lose my job because someone wants my butt in a seat. It seems to me there are plenty of other people willing to go back in.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:59 PM

It really all depends who your boss is and who their boss is. If you get one of those old school, I wanna see butts in seats, need to check off all these boxes in the system, get on it now type people at the top but your direct manager is reasonable, not a micro manager as long as you get your work done then you can work from home....yeah, it's probably not going to go well for you to keep that lifestyle. Then when you're working for a larger company, it may be all well and good now, but what happens when (not if) they eventually have some sort of re-org? Will your manager be shuffled around, will you be on a new team with new rules? Nothing seems as stable nowadays in the workplace as it once was so always have to be on your toes with that resume ready. That's why I sometimes browse new jobs/companies even when I'm not really looking b/c it seems everyone will have a day they'll need or want to seriously make a change.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:27 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Because companies that are hiring right now are expecting new employees to be in-office.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:32 PM

351 posts, read 162,175 times
It's not only bosses who are the problem but people who enjoy working from the offices. I have people in the meetings who are 100% RTO and enjoy that. They are part of the problem.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
It's not only bosses who are the problem but people who enjoy working from the offices. I have people in the meetings who are 100% RTO and enjoy that. They are part of the problem.
Wow, wonder why some people like being in office so much? I mean if you can WFH and still have people interactions and be productive, why such love for RTO? Maybe some people need face time every. single. day. Seems crazy to me.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Because companies that are hiring right now are expecting new employees to be in-office.
Surely, there must still be companies hiring for remote roles.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:41 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Leominster.../home/16538854

This condo all the way out in the boonies of Leominister sold for over twice what they paid not even 5 years ago. That would def be too far for even 128.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:09 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Weird sentiment given how much we talk about needing dual incomes to support cost of living. Or if it's a single income household, the breadwinner definitely wants to preserve their job.

As I mentioned previously I know at least a couple of people who are looking and they said remote jobs are rare and hard to get. Who are the "plenty of companies" that you speak of?

I also just heard today that a very large financial services firm in Boston is going to require FOUR days in office starting in November (up from two days currently).

Old 09-12-2023, 08:18 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Not sure what financial services place you speak of but apparently layofffs are happening in finance. I know a few scared folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts