Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2023, 07:50 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
And yet buyers are qualified to buy homes at these prices. I'm not sure what you're looking for, do you want people to sell their homes for 25% less than market price or something?

I want people to be responsible, because I am tired of bailing out those who are not and watching this country go further down the drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
If you stayed the course and dollar cost averaged the whole time, your 401k should be at all time high or very close with reinvested dividends and compound interest. SPY is only 6% below all time high.

Not everybody is fully invested in SPY, big shot.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This thread is for posting real estate observations (see thread title). If you disagree with an observation, state why. But it's not your place to tell others which observations they can or cannot post.
There’s a difference between worrying about the obesity epidemic and posting pictures of specific fat people and saying “boy, I’d never let myself get that disgusting”. This thread has recently veered so far into that the latter that it’s become hard not to say something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It affects all costs in some way or another. If you haven't been reading the news, this country just came very close to defaulting on its debt. But you don't seem to see any of this as a concern.

And it’s strange you brought up the debt default, because anyone who has been paying attention knows the default had nothing at all to do with real estate. It’s used as a pinch point for the party out of the White House to force concessions it otherwise couldn’t get. The actual debt is of little actual concern to either party. Democrats spend like it’s the only thing they know how to do and Republicans quietly continue the lion’s share of spending (military and entitlements) while also cutting taxes.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:58 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
I want people to be responsible, because I am tired of bailing out those who are not and watching this country go further down the drain.
There's only been a handful of homes posted here that were purchased high and sold for lower, and we don't know the reasons. Maybe someone had to go back to their home country ASAP for family reasons. The most recent ones posted had at least a 20% down payment according to newenglandgal so the buyers are responsible. And this thread has a very narrow viewpoint, people like to only post homes that they think are way overpriced. No one is posting homes that sell for reasonable amounts so there's a lot of bias here.

The lenders have been pretty strict with handing out mortgages since 2008. When we bought, we had to submit document after document to prove we could afford it. Not sure how anyone can buy a house without being qualified these days.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
There’s a difference between worrying about the obesity epidemic and posting pictures of specific fat people and saying “boy, I’d never let myself get that disgusting”. This thread has recently veered so far into that the latter that it’s become hard not to say something.

And it’s strange you brought up the debt default, because anyone who has been paying attention knows the default had nothing at all to do with real estate. It’s used as a pinch point for the party out of the White House to force concessions it otherwise couldn’t get. The actual debt is of little actual concern to either party. Democrats spend like it’s the only thing they know how to do and Republicans quietly continue the lion’s share of spending (military and entitlements) while also cutting taxes.

My thoughts exactly!

Old 06-17-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Not sure your point exactly? The bailing out of individuals and corporations from the consequences of their own reckless behavior, has (2008 was no exception) contributed substantially to the national debt. And it's also indisputable the consequences our debt has on everything, from inflation to our economic future and ability to maintain things like a safety net and a strong military.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
There's only been a handful of homes posted here that were purchased high and sold for lower, and we don't know the reasons. Maybe someone had to go back to their home country ASAP for family reasons. The most recent ones posted had at least a 20% down payment according to newenglandgal so the buyers are responsible. And this thread has a very narrow viewpoint, people like to only post homes that they think are way overpriced. No one is posting homes that sell for reasonable amounts so there's a lot of bias here.

The lenders have been pretty strict with handing out mortgages since 2008. When we bought, we had to submit document after document to prove we could afford it. Not sure how anyone can buy a house without being qualified these days.

So why do I keep seeing that banks are allowing a DTI of 42%. That is NOT reasonable or safe.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:30 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This thread is for posting real estate observations (see thread title). If you disagree with an observation, state why. But it's not your place to tell others which observations they can or cannot post.
Quote:
Not really a fair analogy. It wouldn't be appropriate to single out specific fat people and make derogatory comments.

We're talking about houses. Houses that some people think the buyer paid too much for.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
So why do I keep seeing that banks are allowing a DTI of 42%. That is NOT reasonable or safe.
What percentage of buyers have 42% DTI?

Old 06-18-2023, 04:29 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
There are plenty of people who also choosing not to spend 100k over asking on homes. I know folks who wanted to move post 2020 and they said forget it decided to stay put after seeing what they'd be paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts