Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 11:54 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Two reasons to justify offering a lot over list price.

1. List price was set artificially low to attract bidders.

2. Desperation.

I can't think of many more.

3. That's what similar homes in the area are selling for and the buyers can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Whether or not you consider it expensive doesn’t matter. Whether or not that 100k is a deal breaker to you is meaningless. What matters is what potential buyers think. If they perceive value at 100k over ask, then they’ll make an offer. And by value I don’t mean solely the value of the house/land. Value to a buyer includes all sorts of things like school assignments, proximity to amenities, commute time/ease, close to family etc etc. Their perceived value may be under, at or above asking price.
Omg another person that gets it!? What's going on here LoL.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Nah only yours is where I get confused. It's like you are only here to be argumentative.

I consider it an ethical responsible to not do business with investors. Most will tell you right off, but if not there are plenty ways to screen them.
It's like you are here to complain about prices and spread fear about a crash that will likely not happen. Sorry but prices aren't going to come down significantly anytime soon whether you like it or not.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:57 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Whether or not you consider it expensive doesn’t matter. Whether or not that 100k is a deal breaker to you is meaningless. What matters is what potential buyers think. If they perceive value at 100k over ask, then they’ll make an offer. And by value I don’t mean solely the value of the house/land. Value to a buyer includes all sorts of things like school assignments, proximity to amenities, commute time/ease, close to family etc etc. Their perceived value may be under, at or above asking price. Up to them to decide.
Right but those buyers are making it harder for others who CAN'T afford it and we don't know that those buyers are better off because they paid 100k over asking on a 999,999 average suburban home. I guess we may find out in years to come.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:58 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
It's like you are here to complain about prices and spread fear about a crash that will likely not happen. Sorry but prices aren't going to come down significantly anytime soon whether you like it or not.
That doesn't make anything justifiable about what the prices are, lol.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:00 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Omg another person that gets it!? What's going on here LoL.
What I don’t get is why so many posters are so personally affronted/upset/annoyed by how other people choose to spend their money. I couldn’t care less what anyone paid for their home. Or why they paid what they did. It’s literally none of my business or concern.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right but those buyers are making it harder for others who CAN'T afford it and we don't know that those buyers are better off because they paid 100k over asking on a 999,999 average suburban home. I guess we may find out in years to come.
It’s not up to buyers to determine their purchase based on what others can afford. Never has been. Never will be. Nor is it “our” job to determine if someone else is better off based on their decisions or not. We need to worry about ourselves and our decisions and let others do the same.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:03 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
3. That's what similar homes in the area are selling for and the buyers can afford it.

New Corvette Z06s are going for around $110K right now and often going above MSRP. I can afford it. Should I buy it?

Old 06-19-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
What I don’t get is why so many posters are so personally affronted/upset/annoyed by how other people choose to spend their money. I couldn’t care less what anyone paid for their home. Or why they paid what they did. It’s literally none of my business or concern.
Same, and they even go so far as to look up how much down payment they hsd and how much mortgage they took out. People have been posted names here and their professions, so you know they are Googling their LinkedIn and other personal info. It's stalking to the highest level.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:04 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Two reasons to justify offering a lot over list price.

1. List price was set artificially low to attract bidders.

2. Desperation.

I can't think of many more.
You forgot one....3. Insanity. I've seen a couple (I think one in Duxbury and another in Westwood) that went for like $300K over list. I can't imagine any realtor would do their client that much of a disservice by artificially pricing that low?! Would they? That leads me to believe someone was insane enough to have to 'win' the house they thought it a good idea to grossly over bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts