Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2023, 03:20 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
In 2019 if I saw a 900 sq ft condo in Beverly sold for $600K I would think that's crazy too!
So what would you do instead? Prices are way up everywhere. It’s easy to say “I’d never pay that price” when “just buy 10 years ago at half the price” is your fallback. For people buying now, the options are:

1. Pay. “too much”
2. Continue renting
3. Move far away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 03:36 AM

3,601 posts, read 1,826,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
So what would you do instead? Prices are way up everywhere. It’s easy to say “I’d never pay that price” when “just buy 10 years ago at half the price” is your fallback. For people buying now, the options are:

1. Pay. “too much”
2. Continue renting
3. Move far away
Well for starters, I don't buy houses/condos where you have to offer $100K+ over list.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Well for starters, I don't buy houses/condos where you have to offer $100K+ over list.
What a non answer.

Also, what a weird way of buying houses. List price is a marketing tool, not some sort of official statement of value. Excluding property because of some weird self-imposed list price markup limit is only going to hurt you, though, so stick with it.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
What a non answer.

Also, what a weird way of buying houses. List price is a marketing tool, not some sort of official statement of value. Excluding property because of some weird self-imposed list price markup limit is only going to hurt you, though, so stick with it.
Hasn't hurt me yet. I've purchased around 5 properties sub list price in the last 8 years and every one of them I've sold, was at a profit.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Hasn't hurt me yet. I've purchased around 5 properties sub list price in the last 8 years and every one of them I've sold, was at a profit.
If you’re flipping, paying over list makes no sense, because the entire point of flipping is to take houses that no one else wants and transform them into houses people do want. Whether or not YOU actually want the house is less relevant. Of course it’s easy to be a great stock picker in a crazy bull market. Did you do better than the market average after all expenses?

If you’re buying to actually live in a house, limiting yourself to list price might keep you from something that is the best value. You have to have faith in your own ability to fairly assess a property’s value, though.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:55 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,014 times
Quote:
If you're so good at flipping houses then why don't you just move instead of complaining about your neighbor's lawn?

Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
In 2019 if I saw a 900 sq ft condo in Beverly sold for $600K I would think that's crazy too!
Okay. So are you going to cherry pick properties that sold for a high price and post them for the rest of your life here? Prices aren't coming down anytime soon. No one cares if you wouldn't pay these prices. And why do you keep dodging our questions? If the property was listed at 732k and sold for $0 over list, would you still post it? What would you suggest someone do if they were buying today?

Last edited by matrix5k; 06-17-2023 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-17-2023, 06:10 AM

This one sold for 150k under list. What a bargain!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Old 06-17-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
If you’re flipping, paying over list makes no sense, because the entire point of flipping is to take houses that no one else wants and transform them into houses people do want. Whether or not YOU actually want the house is less relevant. Of course it’s easy to be a great stock picker in a crazy bull market. Did you do better than the market average after all expenses?

If you’re buying to actually live in a house, limiting yourself to list price might keep you from something that is the best value. You have to have faith in your own ability to fairly assess a property’s value, though.
I'm not really flipping in the traditional sense. I buy properties that I actually live in for a couple years then sell them. When I think of flipping I think of investors buying a property, never living in it then selling it a few months to a year after purchase. The ones I buy are all my primary residence.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
If you're so good at flipping houses then why don't you just move instead of complaining about your neighbor's lawn?
Because, didn't you see one of my previous posts from yesterday? My overhead is so CHEAP. Why do I want to give that up right now?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts