Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 04:02 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
For some people, getting out of the house and doing the commute is a stress reliever.

What works for some people, doesn't work for others. And vice versa.
Speaking as a WFH suburbanite, getting out of the house from time to time is nice but Boston and Cambridge are some of the last places I would want to have to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 04:05 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You would think. It's truly amazing to me that so many people on this forum would prefer to commute in, be in the office all day, then commute home every day.
I think it might help some people to get out of bed, take a shower, and have a schedule that they need to follow.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:10 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think it might help some people to get out of bed, take a shower, and have a schedule that they need to follow.
As well as not having to deal with home life distractions. Or temptations like browsing internet forums that might be harder to get away with if you worked in an office.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:15 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If someone truly feels isolated because of WFH they should find somewhere to work where there are other people or go to starbucks...volunteer somewhere after work, etc. There are ways to see people if you really want to
Not the same thing at all. Many people are motivated by being in a team environment, and many jobs rely on effective communication among coworkers which can be a challenge when there's not that face to face thing going on.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:17 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not the same thing at all. Many people are motivated by being in a team environment, and many jobs rely on effective communication among coworkers which can be a challenge when there's not that face to face thing going on.
then they should find an in office job. They are out there.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:44 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Please get back to the subject of real estate.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:29 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Please get back to the subject of real estate.
At this point I am not sure you can separate the two things. Remote work has had a direct effect on the real estate market and the housing crisis we are now enduring.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:09 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
What I find annoying is the conflation of hybrid work schedules as the same as the old 5 day in the office routine from the pre-pandemic days. How much of the office workforce is really returning to 5 days in the office?

The other area that interests me is reserving desks versus assigned seating. Pre-pandemic assigned seating was the norm. Has reserving desks or first come first serve replaced assigned seating in any meaningful way? I really like the idea of being able to choose were to sit from one day to the next, it adds some variety to the weekly routine.
Yes, I can't speak for others but I'm not talking about returning five days a week but doing 2-3 days a week in office. State Street's 4 days in office would be a big adjustment for me since I've structured my daycare around being in 2-3 days.

Reserved seating is more critical when it comes to getting an office with a door. At my company people can reserve anywhere that's not restricted, but it's outside of social norm to be hopping to a different part of the floor every time since most people like to be in the same place.

As for real estate the spring/summer flurry is over and August is usually pretty slow...curious to see what the winter brings but if interest rates remain elevated I'd expect to see prices level off/come down.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:30 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Yes, I can't speak for others but I'm not talking about returning five days a week but doing 2-3 days a week in office. State Street's 4 days in office would be a big adjustment for me since I've structured my daycare around being in 2-3 days.

Reserved seating is more critical when it comes to getting an office with a door. At my company people can reserve anywhere that's not restricted, but it's outside of social norm to be hopping to a different part of the floor every time since most people like to be in the same place.

As for real estate the spring/summer flurry is over and August is usually pretty slow...curious to see what the winter brings but if interest rates remain elevated I'd expect to see prices level off/come down.
The problem I'm seeing is inventory hasn't bounced back. Even though I'm looking up in ME, I'm still seeing elevated prices for anything that's 4-season and reasonably turn-key. My agent up there is saying inventory is still in the toilet, mainly because those elevated interest rates have trapped many existing owners into their home so fewer are going up for sale. If it's happening up there, it's probably happening down here too.

Land, on the other hand, seems to have started coming back to earth. The disparity is such that it's currently cheaper for me to buy land and do new construction than it is to buy existing and bring it up to what I would get with the new construction.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:45 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I've seen very low inventory this summer in my immediate neighborhood. Typically the area i watch has 4-6 sales per summer. This year was only 1 in the early spring, and it didn't hit the open market as it was an estate sale to a contractor.

But there are 2 houses coming up for sale soon. One is the previously mentioned estate sale. Turned into a total gut-job and flip, but the location could be better. I'd imagine this one would trend towards the lower end of the neighborhood cost range. Other house is one of the better homes in the neighborhood in a better location, so this one might be towards the higher end of the neighborhood cost range.

Guess we will see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts