Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 10:17 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
As more and more people are priced out of the eastern part of the state, Springfield and Worcester are going to be looking better and better if they want to remain in Mass. That is just my opinion. And if the commuter rail does finally get out this far as everyone is hoping, it could be a game changer.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/09/25...d-boston-grant

A very long time ago Springfield was a nice city. Maybe it can come back. Who knows?

Worcester already has become a destination for people priced out of the Boston area, Springfield not so much. There's not much of a local economy, and it's not commutable to Eastern Mass. jobs. The proposed train would be even slower than driving. At that point, you might as well live in flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 10:40 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
As an aside, I believe the current owners of that home own the Cumbies convenience store brand/franchise so if anything...they might have to commute to Westborough HQ once in awhile which is no big commute.
The Haseotes family sold Cumbies back in 2019 for an undisclosed amount. Ain’t no commuting for them anymore.

That said, a business owner or CEO working for a metro west company could be a buyer.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That said, a business owner or CEO working for a metro west company could be a buyer.

There's only so many CEOs though. And just because somebody has that kind of money, doesn't mean they are interested in spending $8 million on a house in the burbs. I'm sure the right buyer will come along eventually, but it won't happen in a weekend (I would give this one months). And may very well end up at a "discount".

Old 12-02-2023, 11:00 AM

Here we go...

Unemployment claims in Massachusetts increased last week

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...s/71755709007/

Old 12-02-2023, 11:29 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There's only so many CEOs though. And just because somebody has that kind of money, doesn't mean they are interested in spending $8 million on a house in the burbs. I'm sure the right buyer will come along eventually, but it won't happen in a weekend (I would give this one months). And may very well end up at a "discount".
If I had $8M to spend on real estate I probably wouldn't drop $8M on a single property I'd more likely do in the $1.5-2.5M range. You want to buy something that a lot or many other people can afford to buy so when the time does come if you wish to sell, it doesn't sit for months or years on the market like this one might.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
If I had $8M to spend on real estate I probably wouldn't drop $8M on a single property I'd more likely do in the $1.5-2.5M range. You want to buy something that a lot or many other people can afford to buy so when the time does come if you wish to sell, it doesn't sit for months or years on the market like this one might.

Exactly. And I especially wouldn't want to buy the most (or one of the most) expensive homes in town. Basic Real Estate 101.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:21 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In my opinion it's the most depressing city in New England. Not the most run down or the most crime ridden.
In my opinion Hartford is the most depressing city in New England.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:54 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Check out Ramit Sethi's "I Will Teach You to be Rich" podcast where he interviews couples and goes in depth with their numbers and money psychology. Some pretty fascinating stuff there.

Just want to say been listening to this and it's been a great recommendation.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:14 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just want to say been listening to this and it's been a great recommendation.
Nice! Happy to hear it!

It's given me a little more appreciation how different people can be with their money - whether they have a little of it or a lot of it. I saw some parts of me in some of the episodes.

Tying it back to real estate...it made me sympathize a little more with people who unknowingly trap themselves with high fixed costs and I try to push people to run the numbers.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:41 PM

86 posts, read 46,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In my opinion it's the most depressing city in New England. Not the most run down or the most crime ridden.
I visited Worcester for the first time some 15 years ago. I had no preconception as I had never heard of it, being from Europe. This was absolutely one of the most depressing places I had ever seen in my life, up to that point. In the years since I've seen some pretty crappy US towns, but I will not forget my introduction to this level of decrepitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts