Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 06:49 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If prices are truly falling ( and again it's December) then maybe people are coming to their senses. Maybe people have realized the area really isn't worth these crazy prices. There are maybe also less people taking jobs here and moving here which is fine with me.
It's December in RI also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 06:49 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Again, just last week you said 1.5M houses are now 1.2M.
So what? Part of my point was that even if some homes are seeing price cuts 1.2M is not in many people's price ranges. There are still plenty of 1.5M+ homes on the market though.

Do you live in Rhode Island ?

I think answer is pretty obvious that RI is more affordable than MA

Old 12-08-2023, 07:15 PM

852 posts, read 554,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I know the guy. He bought a tear down for $525K and took a gamble building a large contemporary house. After carrying costs, realtor commissions, legal, etc., he basically broke even. But he kept his guys working for a year.
Then it doesn’t sound too bad, if he managed to pay some workers.
Also a house will usually stay for decades, if not longer. It’s an achievement.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:27 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
I know the guy. He bought a tear down for $525K and took a gamble building a large contemporary house. After carrying costs, realtor commissions, legal, etc., he basically broke even. But he kept his guys working for a year.
Kind of sad people consider the former house a teardown. That thing could have been fully renovated, all new siding, roof, kitchen, bath and been a great house. I liked the style of the original vs the new but hey, folks got to build their gaudy mcmansions on any available lot they can get their greedy hands on.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Kind of sad people consider the former house a teardown.

It was in bad shape. Too far gone, really. It had sat vacant for a few years.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It was in bad shape. Too far gone, really. It had sat vacant for a few years.
What was too far gone about it that it couldn't have been totally renovated? When I look at the old listing it is fully furnished and everything inside seems decent for the age of the house having not being renovated....outdated...yes...but I've seen way worse looking than that!

Old 12-08-2023, 07:34 PM

Seems like so many homes are tear downs these days. I mean there is a lot of old housing stock in the area...but I'm surprised how so many people just can't make due certain things. No one seems to like older homes anymore based on the market.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Seems like so many homes are tear downs these days. I mean there is a lot of old housing stock in the area...but I'm surprised how so many people just can't make due certain things. No one seems to like older homes anymore based on the market.
I'll almost always prefer an older home that has been/or can be fully renovated to a new construction one. Most new construction is yuck....same old cheap builder grade finishes, cookie cutter vinyl sided colonials, etc. Even if you take a 1900's vintage home and vinyl side it and update the inside...that's even 100 times better to me than a new construction pos, overpriced home!

Not to mention...these builders are taking away from the New England character, charm and history every time they tear one of these older homes down instead of renovate it.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:49 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
What was too far gone about it that it couldn't have been totally renovated? When I look at the old listing it is fully furnished and everything inside seems decent for the age of the house having not being renovated....outdated...yes...but I've seen way worse looking than that!
I feel like we've discussed this a lot on here but thanks to hgtv and all the photos one can look at on social media, the internet, etc people have to have all these updates. It seems to have become a status symbol or it's just wrong to not update a kitchen. People are ashamed of dated kitchens lol. It's why so many update kitchens and bathrooms before selling. But of course the homes with older kitchens are still priced wildly on a nicer town.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:50 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
I think answer is pretty obvious that RI is more affordable than MA
more affordable than the Boston area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts