Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2023, 12:24 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Wow i guess envy was the wrong word to use it, let me put it another way. If that 700k Tx house was in MA, it would be at least 2 million.

Again the rudeness from people about others being annoyed at the cost of MA housing is just odd. Why don't you go talk to people on Melnea Cass and see how they feel about it? I'm glad so many people are happy here about how much it costs to rent or buy here. Keep on smiling!
Right, and who really wants to have to spend $2million to get a nice house?! Lots of people in MA are chock full of wealth and apparently are happy as a clam to pay $300K over list on a home in a place like Duxbury (from my example the other day)! I'm always stunned when I see those over listers. Sorry, but I don't have that free spirited $$ to throw around like it's confetti to the tune of an extra 300 hundred grand just to 'win' a bid on a house in the great state of MA! I'm just happy I've been able to stay on the property ladder in my modest 'starter' homes in decent enough towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:27 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
If I didn't have ties to MA I perhaps would move somewhere else. I'm actually happy in the town I'm in now, very happy in my house so i don't REALLY want to move but it just amazes me what 700k can get you in other states.

These threads seem to lead to lots of negativity, but the fact is that many people in MA are not happy with the housing market.
https://www.homes.com/property/729-o...3eb91dqxvw9tj/

Old 03-18-2023, 12:29 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I'm seeing a good amount available for 'cheap' (relative to east of 495 belt prices) in western mass....
Quote:
As an example, Lexington (Columbia) SC:
Yeah... but where would you work.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Right, and who really wants to have to spend $2million to get a nice house?! Lots of people in MA are chock full of wealth and apparently are happy as a clam to pay $300K over list on a home in a place like Duxbury (from my example the other day)! I'm always stunned when I see those over listers. Sorry, but I don't have that free spirited $$ to throw around like it's confetti to the tune of an extra 300 hundred grand just to 'win' a bid on a house in the great state of MA! I'm just happy I've been able to stay in the property ladder in my modest 'starter' homes in decent enough towns.
I think the bigger picture thing is most people in MA don't have 2 million to spend on a house. For those people that DO have 2 million to spend I'm sure they wish they were getting more absolutely! Maybe the people that spend 1,800,000 on that 1,500,000 listed Dux house had a budget of 2mil and felt like they made out well. We're all aware that there are some very wealthy people in MA but it's simply not everyone...it does feel like these huge salaried people have made the real estate market crappy for everyone else in some ways.

It would just be nice if there was more of a happy medium but there isn't these days.

I do know successful people who left the area because they were unhappy with what they could get for a home. One of my friends was making 200k as a CFO in 2015 at around 33 - she and her husband left, they felt like they were doing well in life and were disappointed with what their high salary could get them. They simply wanted a newer house that wasn't going to eat up most of their earnings. They weren't from here either so that helped. But not everyone does put up with the housing costs in MA - even the higher earning folks.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:34 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
yeah... But where would you work.
remote.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah... but where would you work.
Not sure on physical work locations out there but remote is always an option. My reply was in response to the two posters who think there are lots of folks who want to live in Western MA and I said that they luck out and get less expensive houses. The other one said not so, then I provided examples to show it is so...the first cape example would easily go for around $550K+ in a town like N.Reading or whatever other 95N town you choose. Out in W. Mass $324K!

Old 03-18-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I think the bigger picture thing is most people in MA don't have 2 million to spend on a house. For those people that DO have 2 million to spend I'm sure they wish they were getting more absolutely! Maybe the people that spend 1,800,000 on that 1,500,000 listed Dux house had a budget of 2mil and felt like they made out well. We're all aware that there are some very wealthy people in MA but it's simply not everyone...it does feel like these huge salaried people have made the real estate market crappy for everyone else in some ways.

It would just be nice if there was more of a happy medium but there isn't these days.

I do know successful people who left the area because they were unhappy with what they could get for a home. One of my friends was making 200k as a CFO in 2015 at around 33 - she and her husband left, they felt like they were doing well in life and were disappointed with what their high salary could get them. They simply wanted a newer house that wasn't going to eat up most of their earnings. They weren't from here either so that helped. But not everyone does put up with the housing costs in MA - even the higher earning folks.
You know it's pretty bad when someone making $200K back in 2015 felt that way!

Old 03-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Default re

Quote:
You know it's pretty bad when someone making $200K back in 2015 felt that way!
yep.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:12 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Right, and who really wants to have to spend $2million to get a nice house?! Lots of people in MA are chock full of wealth and apparently are happy as a clam to pay $300K over list on a home in a place like Duxbury (from my example the other day)! I'm always stunned when I see those over listers. Sorry, but I don't have that free spirited $$ to throw around like it's confetti to the tune of an extra 300 hundred grand just to 'win' a bid on a house in the great state of MA! I'm just happy I've been able to stay on the property ladder in my modest 'starter' homes in decent enough towns.
No one is happy to have to pay an extra $300k for something, but they understand the alternative is not getting the thing. This is what happens when demand exceeds supply. Prices go up. They go up until demand drops enough that it meets supply. You won’t get people paying outrageous unless the alternative is not getting anything. The person only willing to pay $275k more got nothing.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
No one is happy to have to pay an extra $300k for something, but they understand the alternative is not getting the thing. This is what happens when demand exceeds supply. Prices go up. They go up until demand drops enough that it meets supply. You won’t get people paying outrageous unless the alternative is not getting anything. The person only willing to pay $275k more got nothing.
The person who didn't want to pay an extra 275k on that house maybe didn't see the value of that particular house. They perhaps had 2.5M to spend. I dont so much worry about the people with the 1.5M budgets. It's the people who barely have enough to buy much of anything i feel bad for. Or the people spending at the top of their 800k budget who have kids and really can't skimp out because school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts