Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
All I was saying is that you understand that social norms exist (i.e. 'friendly and helpful to each other' and 'took great care of their properties'). Another social norm is keeping out of stuff that isn't your business. That includes not doing public records searches out of just curiosity. You're not obligated to follow social norms (any more than your neighbors are obligated to keep their properties maintained to your standards), but you should at least be aware of those social norms.
How am I interfering w/anyone's business by doing a public records search? It's not like I'm talking to these people or actively involved in their business. Think of a records search as an fyi (for your information).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 05:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
I noticed the last house in my neighborhood that was for sale finally has a sale pending sign. The only SFH left for sale left in my neighborhood is on Rt. 1.

Is low inventory typical for early spring? People waiting for the spring rush to put their house on the market? It seems inventory is lower than I ever remember it being.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:03 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
I noticed the last house in my neighborhood that was for sale finally has a sale pending sign. The only SFH left for sale left in my neighborhood is on Rt. 1.

Is low inventory typical for early spring? People waiting for the spring rush to put their house on the market? It seems inventory is lower than I ever remember it being.
Yes very low, which is why agents have been getting more aggressive about getting people to list.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:39 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:

Historic low inventory as a result of the historic low rates in the last couple years. People don't really want to give up their rate and list unless they have a good reason to move.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:33 AM

639 posts, read 378,964 times
Quote:
All I was saying is that you understand that social norms exist (i.e. 'friendly and helpful to each other' and 'took great care of their properties'). Another social norm is keeping out of stuff that isn't your business. That includes not doing public records searches out of just curiosity. You're not obligated to follow social norms (any more than your neighbors are obligated to keep their properties maintained to your standards), but you should at least be aware of those social norms.
If I found out neighbors were doing record searches on my places they would make themselves an enemy pretty fast. Mind your own business, I'll mind mine. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
If I found out neighbors were doing record searches on my places they would make themselves an enemy pretty fast. Mind your own business, I'll mind mine. Thank you.

How could you possibly find out? A search for your street address with the registry of deeds web portal turns up your deed, your mortgage, any second mortgage, and any liens. My town has an online assessor's database so I can see your property tax appraisal. This stuff is all public record. With Google, I can usually get your address, your phone number, your cell phone number, your email, anyone else who lives in the house, and most of your relatives.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How could you possibly find out? A search for your street address with the registry of deeds web portal turns up your deed, your mortgage, any second mortgage, and any liens. My town has an online assessor's database so I can see your property tax appraisal. This stuff is all public record. With Google, I can usually get your address, your phone number, your cell phone number, your email, anyone else who lives in the house, and most of your relatives.
I didn't say I could. I said if I did. Some people talk about others business. It gets around in communities. Those people are shunned pretty fast I find.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I didn't say I could. I said if I did. Some people talk about others business. It gets around in communities. Those people are shunned pretty fast I find.

How about the sex offender registry?

Old 03-20-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How about the sex offender registry?
I don't understand that comparison between looking up someone's mortgage (which is none of my damn business) and the community being notified by government when required to by law.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
I don't understand that comparison between looking up someone's mortgage (which is none of my damn business) and the community being notified by government when required to by law.
Actually, you missed the point. Both sets of information are public records, once it's out there, they are available to all. You can clutch your pearls or feign outrage all you want, it really doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts