Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2023, 11:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm sure. I'm just saying that I find out a lot about people and their kids' health issues because of what they post on social that I otherwise never would have known.
Yeah, I guess that's a whole other story if the sharing is not on a facebook page that is meant for a specific disease/condition. If it's being shared on like a general town facebook page, then they must feel comfortable enough and don't care if the whole town knows about their health business lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Tewksbury/...home/183036622

Here's some NC THs in Tewksbury that aren't selling. Want 510k. Looks like they haven't sold any of the market rate units yet? And it's getting to 100+ days on some of them.

Ooh, and here's a similar looking TH in Chelmsford, but it's not NC and they want 449k. Also has the dreaded "seller finding suitable housing" clause.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Chelmsford.../home/11591433
We've discussed this before - new developments like this go on sale months before they can be occupied. Lots of folks willing to sign P&S to hold the unit until it's ready.

This one in Wilmington went on the market on 12/24 and is now pending. They are only now able to be occupied, phase two is framing, and phase 3 will be started in a few months.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have no words. That’s about a $200k house around these parts.
And you're 125 miles to a major city. Yes, it's comparatively expensive but someone buying that house is surrounded by thousands of high paying jobs that would find that $660 reasonable.

My nephew was just visiting from Wichita. He was floored by the cost of housing here. His 5 BR/3 BA/3 car garage house out there would sell for about $285K.

BTW, it was sold to a developer so I expect it will be updated and flipped pretty soon. I'll have to drive by and check it out.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 PM

WRT looking up real estate records - it only tells us what happened on a certain day. We have no idea what their income is, how they spend their money, if they are paying on a faster schedule, etc.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:23 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And you're 125 miles to a major city. Yes, it's comparatively expensive but someone buying that house is surrounded by thousands of high paying jobs that would find that $660 reasonable.

My nephew was just visiting from Wichita. He was floored by the cost of housing here. His 5 BR/3 BA/3 car garage house out there would sell for about $285K.

BTW, it was sold to a developer so I expect it will be updated and flipped pretty soon. I'll have to drive by and check it out.
Some people are over this. Being near a big city with lots of jobs isn't necessary for everyone these. And of course the house has to be torn down and rebuilt into some big modern farmhouse that will be listed for 1M+

Old 03-20-2023, 12:53 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
All seems so silly to me and goes to show just how much houses are financial commodities versus social goods.
I missed this from earlier. In what developed country is this not the case? For most people, their home is their largest financial asset, so it is treated as such. Surely you know it and play the game as well turning houses often and to gain profit.

I forget if it was you or someone else that is against the expansion of additional housing. Isn't that an effort to make it a "social good"?

Old 03-20-2023, 01:06 PM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Oh people totally want to live in a certain town for the social status. Are you kidding me? This is nothing new.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:22 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Oh people totally want to live in a certain town for the social status. Are you kidding me? This is nothing new.
We're not using "social good" the same way.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:57 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I missed this from earlier. In what developed country is this not the case? For most people, their home is their largest financial asset, so it is treated as such. Surely you know it and play the game as well turning houses often and to gain profit.

I forget if it was you or someone else that is against the expansion of additional housing. Isn't that an effort to make it a "social good"?
I am not against the expansion of additional housing...if thoughtfully executed. I think it's good that developers are finally converting existing buildings that are no longer in use for their originally intended purpose into housing.....such as this example in Worcester where they're converting the former Worcester Boys Club. https://patch.com/massachusetts/worc...ordability-law

Old 03-20-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Some people are over this. Being near a big city with lots of jobs isn't necessary for everyone these. And of course the house has to be torn down and rebuilt into some big modern farmhouse that will be listed for 1M+
I never said where he lived was bad. I was simply noting that when one isn't in a high population area, the cost of housing will be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts