Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the lack of sun bothering you this winter?
Yes it's beyond horrible I'd rather sun with freezing cold 12 29.27%
No it's winter it's supposed to suck 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 12:37 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Temp is going to drop tomorrow, so do your clearning tonight before it all freezes up hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 01:01 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Snow followed by freezing rain N and W and (some) in Worcester proper. Not much snow at all, is the freezing rain that followed that caused problems. My wife left early in the morning and she saw multiple crashes. I left later and saw a car that went off-road on 190 but nothing else.

Someone told that S of Worcester (as close as Grafton) was already mostly rain with a bit of snow.
It's all the invincibles out there still going 80mph+ in these conditions that you have to worry about.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:10 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
You know the rest of March will be winter! Ha ha deal with it. Jan and Feb was spring . Big storm on Tuesday suckers. You thought winter was over. It's nice to have some snow that is not going away.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Late December to late January was absolutely awful. I do not recall a month long stretch with so little sun and I'm 49 and have lived in New England my whole life.

Cold weather is MUCH better because on winter days there's usually this pattern of mild/gray or cold/sunny. Cold days with blue skies are fine. You can dress for them. You can't dress for gloom.

Cleary I would do better in Minneapolis than Seattle.

And why do people always say, "Better than snow"? Why? What's so bad about snow. We only get it for a few months per year. Rain we get ALL year, all four seasons. We have no dry season here. So winter rain is just especially dreary.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:47 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Late December to late January was absolutely awful. I do not recall a month long stretch with so little sun and I'm 49 and have lived in New England my whole life.

Cold weather is MUCH better because on winter days there's usually this pattern of mild/gray or cold/sunny. Cold days with blue skies are fine. You can dress for them. You can't dress for gloom.

And why do people always say, "Better than snow"? Why? What's so bad about snow. We only get it for a few months per year. Rain we get ALL year, all four seasons. We have no dry season here. So winter rain is just especially dreary.
I could not agree more. Dreary rain in the winter is the worst weather ever. Some people like the rain. The only time I like the rain is in the summer when it cools the temperature.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed lack of sun for three weeks. I also have never seen such a long stretch of lack of sun in New England and I'm in my 40's also . I hope that lack of sun like that never happens again in New England. I don't know how anyone can live in Seattle. I also have lived in New England my whole life.

What's interesting is a lot of good music came from places with horrible weather of gloom. Lots of good bands from England too.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:21 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Looking at the long range forecast, we're in for a couple of weeks of normal winter weather now, but in a month, we'll be in early spring!

Old 02-24-2023, 04:23 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:

Snow requires shoveling, and snow/slush/ice make for hazardous driving conditions, and even hazardous walking conditions for older people.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:28 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Best thing about rain in the winter is that it helps melt the snow.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:10 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

And why do people always say, "Better than snow"? Why? What's so bad about snow. .
The cleanup.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:45 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Best thing about rain in the winter is that it helps melt the snow.

Up here in Quebecistan, rain is not welcome in mid-winter. It usually means that the temps
Will drop sooner rather than later, and cause damage, or at least ice over streets, sidewalks, driveways, etc…

Extreme cold days here are generally very sunny. Usually. That means that even minus 25C or -13F is fairly pleasant. I often walk on colder sunny days where the sun hits the back of my parka and gloves and I feel warm. Winter is, at least here, different every day, it's a state of flux. I like it better when there is a bunch of snow on the ground, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts