Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times

Advertisements

City life is different from a small town many of the small towns are extremely friendly around here where you get to know a lot of people, especially if you become involved in the town through volunteer groups, organizations, politics, etc.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 46,408 times
As a life long resdient of MA i've never felt that way, but family that visits me from other parts of the country and friends have told me that, especially about the drivers lol.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
From the pen of Jean Baudrillard, European cultural critic visiting the US in 1986...

...they certainly do smile at you here, though neither from courtesy, nor from an effort to charm. This smile signifies only the need to smile... the smile of immunity, the smile of advertising: 'This country is good. I am good. We are the best'... Smile and others will smile back. Smile to show how transparent, how candid you are. Smile if you have nothing to say. Most of all, do not hide the fact you have nothing to say nor your total indifference to others. Let this emptimess, this profound indifference shine out spontaneously in your smile. Give your emptiness and indifference to others, light up your face with the zero degree of joy and pleasure, smile smile smile... Americans may have no identity, but they do have wonderful teeth. And it works. With this smile Reagan obtains a much wider consensus than any that could be achieved by a Kennedy with mere reason or political intelligence... Reagan's credibility is exactly equal to his transparency and the nullity of his smile.
Oh, my goodness, I just read this. I do sometimes envy reeeeally smart writers and the way they can convey nuance. Nice. I could only dream of expressing myself like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm thankful for New Englander's reservedness and their sense of personal space, privacy, and decorum. They haven't been "Oprah-ized" like the rest of the country has been. Asking personal questions that's none of their damn business is out of the question for them. And thank God for it. I love New England and its classy inhabitants. I wish the rest of the dumbed-down country were more like them.

This is not Baudrillard, but I loved it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Pocono Transplant View Post
New Englanders are very staid and reserved, while the rest of the country happily indulges in conversation.
...or meaningless chit-chat that will bring no actual value to one's life, as another poster here said.

Last edited by syracusa; 08-24-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times
It's not really wrong, just different. Men connect, intimately when they talk about sports, for example and women when talking about family and friendships -for example. Within the social norms of a particular group- this is healthy and meaningful. Yes, Europeans are more accustomed to talking about politics, art, etc. But sometimes that can be hollow too. Can you really expect these things from the general public? Maybe you could hang around some more academic settings. I agree people in Mass are lacking in soul so you won't find it much easier, but people are more educated so it may be easier for you to meet people more up your ally.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 PM

160 posts, read 321,358 times
I have lived in Massachusetts most of my life. I lived in Florida for a brief period and spent a lot of time in WV. My opinion is that there are happy and unhappy, rude and nice people in every state. Every one has good and bad days, every person gets frustrated and aggravated, and we all reach a point of blowing up. It makes no difference what state you are in, it happens. I know there are other states that have a large city, in which the traffic is horrible and they too have rude and mean drivers.
No one in any state is going to open up with personal information when first meeting someone. Here is Boston and some other communities in Mass have a higher crime rate then others. So we tend to not TRUST so easily here. I guess Fashionablecowboy lives in a place that has no crime so they can feel free to tell all of their personal information.
I can't help but wonder how long they were here in Massachusetts? how much of a chance did you give us before condeming all of us? Were you here on a weekend trip? vacation for a week? Before labling everyone in Massachusetts as "RUDE" and "UNPERSONABLE"?
Did you go to other parts of Massachusetts? Did you see the beautiful State Parks that we have? Did you go out to the Berkshire's? Did you meet some of the wonderful friendly people that run the stores and businesses just outside of Boston? Did you leave the airport?
It is TERRIBLE that places like Massachsetts and New York get condemed by people like Fashionablecowboy, who take one trip and a few experiences and turn that into a "COLD AND UNPERSONABLE, RUDE, MEAN State"
If you had such a horrible time here...don't come back! and don't forget to tell your friends!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
agree people in Mass are lacking in soul ....
???

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
???
I took "lack soul" to mean that the general vibe can run to reserved, as opposed to an outward appearance of warm or hot-blooded. For example, the ethos of Massachusetts is about 180 degrees from that of a city like Rio de Janiero.

But I don't think it's accurate to say that people here actually "lack soul." Silly as it may be, people are ready to jump off bridges or scream on the radio every time the Red Sox lose. I think plenty of people in Massachusetts are pretty intense about a lot of things. "Soulless" is not the term I'd use.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times
>>Every one has good and bad days, every person gets frustrated and aggravated, and we all reach a point of blowing up. It makes no difference what state you are in, it happens.<<

I agree, however there are more conservative cultures and places where 'blowing up' is something you just don't do-men or women. I grew up in a family where it was ok to 'blow up' and I don't necessarily think that is the best either. But what does THIS have to do with Mass:-)

Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 PM

160 posts, read 321,358 times
"But what does THIS have to do with Mass:-)"

In the original post, the person was saying how the drivers here in MA were frustrated and aggravated (not exactly, not quoted). I was trying to point out that everyone gets this way, it is just a fact of life. I understand that there are cultures where this is not acceptable, MY opinion is that Boston isn't one of those places. I can't drive in Boston because the other drivers make me nervous and paniced, which makes me a terrible driver. But all of this is just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 AM

26 posts, read 86,427 times
UM yes we are mean. Very mean. I'd bark at anyone who stared at me and I get lotsa stares. M*******s...pfffft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts