Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I am from the Cape, moved to AZ years ago, and still get asked why I am not friendly. I feel I am friendly, strangely enough. They explain to me that "I am a bit of a loner", even though I have been invited to several parties. I am just busy, I explain," I can only make a few parties a year". I have children to educate and a business to run. For some reason, I am thinking it's the long line of Mass-holes that I descend from, people think of me as rude. I think this might be half of my longing to go back to the Cape. I always feel people in AZ are lazy and ignore so many important issues, like education (being 50th, I would think they would be concerned), and pollution, (no winter snow is worth it to them). I am constantly amazed that all they want to do is work for low wages and sit by the pool all day! I often get insults because of this on the AZ thread. So, maybe I am rude, but at least I care about what's really important and not just about the affair Carrie had last week, what's on sale at Wall-Mart. Maybe it's a fun conversation for a min. but all the time, everywhere you go, no way. I am not lost when I go out, I know where I'm going, and I want to get there. lol
I am really not trying to be rude. Really! I just don't have the need to party every weekend of my life.
Like yourself, I've lived in the northeast and southwest. As you noticed, the southwest is really a playground/party/retirement area

Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I've found that people from the Northeast are "cold" when they are in the Northeast. It's kinda funny, because when I've met other New Englanders down south, out west, or other places, they are more relaxed and a lot more open. Something about the weather, or general attitude or atmosphere around here causes people to act "cold".
Toxins. Leftover industrial toxins, old buildings with lead and mercury paint, mold, asbestos, etc. These things change people's behavior. Not that there isn't a cultural influence, but just something else to consider.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
I wish this thread would just die already. It just goes on and on saying the same thing in one form or another. Don't think there hasn't been anything said that hasn't been said already. How about a new thread called People from Ma. are more real than other states or People from Ma. aren't phony? Just a suggestion.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,429 times
I am new to this site. I am from Boston and still reside here. Yeah I guess it is slightly more "rude" (whatever that actually entails I don't know) than other metro areas. Alot of pride, competition, alcohol and people asking this question will make the people meaner. Frankly, it is just the environment here. This is not Dixie, should not be a huge surprise.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 AM

105 posts, read 338,535 times
I don't think people are rude. I find them to be more blunt, which I appreciate. Plus, along with the "rude" factor, I think it's just that people keep more to themselves instead of trying to be best friends with everyone they meet. Again, something I appreciate (and I'm a southern girl, born and raised, living in MA for the past 10 years).

Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Well since this thread won't die I will add my two cents. I love everything about Ma. except the drivers. Everyday I encounter a life threatening situation with someone that wants to play chicken whether it is turning left right in front of me when it is my turn to go forward or someone coming out of a driveway and turning in front of me going the opposite way. Today I got honked at for stopping at a red light
I get the feeling that there is no drivers ed here and that most people might have taken a written test only. This is the only rudeness that I have encountered and I have driven in Los Angeles most of my life including D.C., and Virginia and Ma. takes the cake on stupidity with driving. I loathe the day my son is allowed to drive here

Old 06-18-2008, 04:14 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Well since this thread won't die I will add my two cents. I love everything about Ma. except the drivers. Everyday I encounter a life threatening situation with someone that wants to play chicken whether it is turning left right in front of me when it is my turn to go forward or someone coming out of a driveway and turning in front of me going the opposite way. Today I got honked at for stopping at a red light
I get the feeling that there is no drivers ed here and that most people might have taken a written test only. This is the only rudeness that I have encountered and I have driven in Los Angeles most of my life including D.C., and Virginia and Ma. takes the cake on stupidity with driving. I loathe the day my son is allowed to drive here
If I remember correctly you're from CA so I can kind of see where you're coming from. Being able to drive in MA kind of comes with the territory. I actually think the drivers in MA are better than the ones I've seen in So Cal because driving in MA is a pain. You get used to it, drivers in MA are aggressive, but after a while it's kind of a "predictable aggression".

Like the one primary difference I've seen is that merging onto CA highways is a breeze, you need like The Road Warrior mentality to get on a busy MA highway, even if the highway isn't that busy. This is mostly due to how the highway and street infrastructure is built. Also people actually look at turn signals, I used to just use them as kind of a warning in Boston.

I always figured that when people were rude on the MA it was due to the person not driving "Boston Style". The layout of everything kind of forces you to be really really aggressive to get from point a to point b.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM

The problems with the drivers that I have had has been in the burbs, not on the busy highways. People used there blinkers and did not quickly turn in front of you as you move forward in Ca. It's funny but I live in quiet Concord but I hear police sirens here more than I ever heard in L.A.! In L.A. we had helicopters looking for the bad guys. What could be keeping the local police so busy here??? There is no reason why someone cannot wait a few seconds to let the through traffic go, who has the right of way at least in all the other states I have lived in and wait there turn to turn! It seems like an insane game to these drivers. Let's see if I can turn in front of this person before I kill them or they kill me?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 26,378 times
I grew up in Mass. and never realized until I left how rude the people were. The friendliest folks I have ever met have been in Pennsylvania. It's amazing how welcoming, friendly, and helpful they are.

New Englanders are very staid and reserved, while the rest of the country happily indulges in conversation.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Pocono Transplant View Post
I grew up in Mass. and never realized until I left how rude the people were. The friendliest folks I have ever met have been in Pennsylvania. It's amazing how welcoming, friendly, and helpful they are.

New Englanders are very staid and reserved, while the rest of the country happily indulges in conversation.
I grew up in PA, so APT, I do thank you for the Commonwealth of PA for the kind words. I love Pennsylvanians, too. Especially the small town folks.

However, after living in MA (outside of Holyoke) for a number of years, I don't think that the MA natives are truly rude. They are just accustomed to being more reserved and may appear stand-offish at first blush.

But, some of the most hospitable and kind people I have ever known were the people right in my MA town. Very accommodating and friendly.

I worked for the town government so was exposed to the public daily. They were folks with complaints and sad stories of snow plows ruining their lives, but on the whole it was a lovely place to live.

I now live in N. GA and would return to MA in a heartbeat if given a chance. DH has determined that he wants to spend our retirement years in the south. So, I must once again adapt to a new culture, but I think I have Patriot's blood running in my veins!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 06-19-2008 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Geesh! What a speller! :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts