Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM

182 posts, read 708,088 times

Advertisements

SeattletoMaui,

P.S. I'm not sure I'd classify it as "negativity" (i.e., people just trying to rain on your parade for no REAL reasons), it's more like reality. And caution. Still, it's up to YOU to decide in the end. To do that more completely, you need to BE there, so if you're set on going to Maui, DO so...just be cautious.

Rent a place for a while -- even if it's a 300sf studio just to get "boots on the gound" there -- so you can get a feel for the place, what parts of the island you'd prefer living on (if you don't like the one you're "300sf studio" is in), where/what the jobs are, how your neighbors are, and so on. Stuff important to ALL of us no matter WHERE we move to, right?

It's good (and SMART) that you are doing some of that research HERE on this forum (I wonder how many peole just go to HI with NO research like this at all) but you can only do so much long-distance...as I said, you need to BE there.

And just like others more knowledgeable here regularly advise, leave yourself an escape just in case things do not work out (like decent employment for example, IF that becomes an issue)...have some $$ saved for a trip BACK to the mainland. If you do that, and you ARE set on checking Maui out, then GO...since that is the only way you will find out for sure. Just have a good Plan B in place just in case.

Hopefully, you won't need it and will be quite happy over there!

Good luck...

EDIT: Maybe you can get in touch with some realtors in Maui, tell them your situation and ask for advice re: finding an apartment/condo to rent (along with using Craigslist as you already mentioned). THEY should know the local scene rent-wise. In my case, I have realtors send me (almost daily -- I have 13 listings to go through right now) condos that are for sale (in my price range) so I can keep up with the market. I use the "pushpins" feature of Google Earth Maps to locate interesting condos (for me, on Oahu only) whenever they come up so I can get a feel for what parts of Oahu have condos in my budget AND where they are (some areas I prefer over others). Yes, this info gets dated VERY quickly -- probably all those condos are soon sold -- but at least I can look at those pushpins and see pricing trends in various areas of Oahu. And even if the condos I entered as pushpins are no longer available (I EXPECT them to be gone), in short order OTHERS come up in the very same areas/buildings/complexes. And of course, don't forget to check out VRBO.com...except those are mostly pretty expensive and geared to the well-heeled short-term tourists/visitors. Still, you can get SOME info from looking at what properties are going for...just choose the island of Maui and see what's listed. Finally, in some cases it certainly IS cheaper to BUY a condo (even with the condo fee included on top of the loan payment) than to rent one (or rent an apartment)...so do some research into that option, also.

Last edited by cloudcroft; 10-18-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 AM

14 posts, read 68,185 times
Thanks for all the help. Especially concerning electricity. We are def going to be looking for a place that includes utilities now!

I think the main reason I feel so sure I will be able to afford Hawaii is because where i live (SC) they pay their servers only $2.13 and I know hawaii pays about $9 or $10 and the rent there (with all utilites) is what I pay here, so if I'm serving I will make about double what I make here. I know food cost is really high but I can live without milk and we only spend about $30 a week on groceries now.

We are trying to move with an open mind and a willingness to take any job we can get right away till we find something we love. I am 25 and he is 24 and we have both been to Maui. We are mostly moving to be able to enjoy hiking and the ocean all in one place AND its paradise. We are also really low maintainance...no credit card bills, student loans..ect..

Today I bought our one way tickets to hawaii from seattle and our flight doesn't arrive until 10pm. Will there be a shuttle we can take to Kihei or will we have to take a cab. It looks like we will have to stay in a hotel our 1st night. Can anyone sugguest a cheap one? It doesn't have to even be in kihei because i'm sure we can drive there in the AM.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 AM

14 posts, read 68,185 times
oh yeah...we are just taking 1 car and it's really new and gets 37 mpg and since shipping from seattle isn't too bad it will be worth it for trips around the island to explore

Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
Thanks for all the help. Especially concerning electricity. We are def going to be looking for a place that includes utilities now!

I think the main reason I feel so sure I will be able to afford Hawaii is because where i live (SC) they pay their servers only $2.13 and I know hawaii pays about $9 or $10 and the rent there (with all utilites) is what I pay here, so if I'm serving I will make about double what I make here. I know food cost is really high but I can live without milk and we only spend about $30 a week on groceries now.

We are trying to move with an open mind and a willingness to take any job we can get right away till we find something we love. I am 25 and he is 24 and we have both been to Maui. We are mostly moving to be able to enjoy hiking and the ocean all in one place AND its paradise. We are also really low maintainance...no credit card bills, student loans..ect..

Today I bought our one way tickets to hawaii from seattle and our flight doesn't arrive until 10pm. Will there be a shuttle we can take to Kihei or will we have to take a cab. It looks like we will have to stay in a hotel our 1st night. Can anyone sugguest a cheap one? It doesn't have to even be in kihei because i'm sure we can drive there in the AM.
Most hotels have airport shuttles. There are no budget hotels on Maui. None, as in zero. Sorry, but the words "Cheap Hotel" and "Maui" do not belong together in the same sentence. The fact that you are even asking that question makes me worried for you.

Bring your life savings with you, you are going to need it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 AM

129 posts, read 371,606 times
Default why so many downers in Hawaii?!

This forum makes me laugh sometimes. SeattletoMaui, you will be just fine. Don't let all the downers scare you into not coming. Boodabunny, no 'cheap' hotels on Maui.....bring your life savings with you....? Come on, don't be ridiculous. I'm sure they were not looking to stay at the Grand Wailea the first night into town! SeattletoMaui, if you are looking for the Motel6, that doesn't exist BUT the Maui Coast has some decent rates for a 1 night stay. You would find cheaper rates in Kahului but remember Maui isn't flooded with hotels and motels like other cities, so there isn't a lot to choose from.

Yes, Maui is expensive but no more so than living in San Diego, Miami, New York, etc. We have lived across the country and every place we have lived has things that are cheaper and more expensive than somewhere else. If you really get down to the nickel and dimes of living in Hawaii, you will find that most day to day things cost about the same as any major city that is desireable to live. I'm not comparing Maui to Des Moines, Iowa or Topeka, Kansas....

Stop with all the negativity. Encourage folks who have questions and wish to move to Hawaii. I love that spirit in people who are willing to get up and move somewhere. Lastly, to the ones that are soooo negative: remember back to the days before you moved to Hawaii, I'm sure you had tons of questions also and appreciated when people tried to help you. Pono.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM

91 posts, read 419,729 times
Quote:
oh yeah...we are just taking 1 car and it's really new and gets 37 mpg and since shipping from seattle isn't too bad it will be worth it for trips around the island to explore
Does it even matter what people write to you? You've already convinced yourself that you can make it on Maui. So just start saving up some cash and expect to spend more than $30 a week on groceries.

You're young so it should be a good experience to enjoy Maui's attractions for a few months/years. After you move back to the mainland, at least you will always have those memories of Maui during your mid 20's. Just try to have some medical insurance...so that you don't incur a large debt if you're in a surfing accident or something.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Lightbulb Cheap overnight stay...

Aloha and...well...Aloha...
If you are only looking for 1 overnight stay you might consider a Hostel. There are several on the Island. One in Paia and a few others in Wailuku and I believe Lahaina has 1 or 2. Very cheap and very clean...doable for a quick stay. There might even be one in Kihei but I'm not sure on that, you'll have to do a search.
Koale

oh and ps... pay no attention to the 'nay-sayers'... you have the right attitude. You'll do just fine!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:

Eek! You sound a lot like us, except we are NOT "so sure" we can make it. We just really hope and will do everything we possibly can!

$30 a week on groceries is insane, btw. And what made you decide not to go with a round trip ticket? Just thought it seemed like an admission you doubted yourself? Not worth saving face imo...

When are you going again?

and.. so you live in Seattle or SC (South Carolina)?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Quote:

Sounds like this is going to be a great adventure! Bravo to you for giving it a try, you have nothing to lose.

As others have said, there are not cheap hotels. I didn't think that was possible until I moved here, but it's true. No motels, no cheap dive hotels. Just resort type hotels, condos, and place to rent in private homes.

No regular buses at 10pm, the city buses stop earlier (and they don't take luggage anyway). I would say take a taxi from the airport to your first night destination. Because it will be late, you might want to stay the first night in Kahului (where the airport is) and then the next day get to where ever you plan to be. Just Google "Kahului" and "Hotel" and you'll find maybe 3 listings. Call to see what rate you can get for one night.

You say you can drive to Kihei later, but where are you getting a car? Renting one? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread. If you are renting a car until one comes over, ask for the monthly rate.

Don't look at the feedback here as negative. This is what happens sometimes when you ask people for their opinions and also especially when you ask for help or advice! I notice that more so here, which is kind of a story-telling culture. You will get stories and cautions and opinions. Everyone on the street tells me what we should be doing with our yard, or house, or car. It's just like that. You don't have to take offense, it is one way people are really trying to be helpful, by warning you in advance.

Only you know what you are capable of, and what you want out of life. If someone is giving you a warning, listen and decide for yourself, but don't hold it against them. Be confident in your own abilities.

But if you ask, you must listen.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Be aware that in Hawaii, most service jobs are part-time, 19 hours per week or less due to the state laws requiring the employer to provide health insurance. This is why so many people work two and even three jobs. In addition, many full-time jobs seem to be around 35 hours per week. (I don't know why)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui