Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 AM

346 posts, read 967,898 times

Advertisements

holy crap I just read that you guys don't have jobs... you may be SOL. The locals who are unemployed are going to look a lot better than you guys at interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
holy crap I just read that you guys don't have jobs... you may be SOL. The locals who are unemployed are going to look a lot better than you guys at interviews.
Now you will be accused of being negative....

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Thumbs up Aloha

Don't get yourself all 'worked up' and confused. If you think you like Kihei (I love it here) go to google maps and 'drive around' a bit. After coming back after many years places seemed 'familiar'. I had new landmarks and such. It's a great tool for checking out areas for apts etc. Couple of options that could work for you are either just go month-to-month (gives you more options as you only are required to give a 28 day notice to move where your landlord is required to give you 45 days notice) Hawaii is very 'renter friendly'. I found many private landlords will give a six month lease option as well. This is a good choice. Gives you plenty of time to decide what area works best for you. Stay away from property managment companies! They require fees for applications. Much better deals to be had with private owners. Most importa nt, be able to email pictures of your pets and yourselves. Landlords don't like surprises when it comes to this. One persons idea of a 'small well behaved animal' is a 75 lb pitbull. Anything you can put together to show how you live, garden, work etc. makes you real to them. Have more references than you think you may need. Bring 'letters of credit' from all of your utilities and current landlord. You will need these. Any employment references that may have an 800 number for contact is good as well. There are great landlords here, but you have to be careful. Kihei has a few nice apt complexes w/affordable rentals. Southpointe condos allows two dogs and ground floor units have yards!!! 4 blocks to the beach! Nice complex. So...do a drive by...
Have fun. Don't worry about working until you get here. MD3andboys posted good info as to how to survive once you get here. Local phone number etc.
It's all good...
One thing you will notice in 'help wanted' ads is this...'must be reliable'...'must show up for work'...'must be punctual and have good work ethics'...if you can read between those few lines...as I did... you'll have no problem landing and keeping a job...you'll be working while the 'locals' are bbqing at the beach...if you catch my drift. Not many 'locals' are standing in line looking for work.
A hui hou. Koale

Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,753 times
mdand3boys. hi... I got offered a job and need to start at then end of November!!!! So therefore my dogs will not be coming with me, from what i read on the hawaii agric. website, they have to be quarantined at home on the mainland for 120 days and 2 rabies shots, blood tests sent to kansas state university and from that date its 120 days. Therefore I think you got us mixed up, SeattletoMaui they are coming to Maui in April.... and me (stylenca) i want my english bulldogs to be free not stuck in a kennel for 120 days where only i can see them for 2 days out of the week... That would break my heart and there's too...

Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 68,183 times
Thanks again for your advice...especially about bringing letters of credit!

Luckily I have spoken to my manager at Starbucks and I have been offered jobs at a Starbucks in Lahaina and Kihei so we are just trying to choose where to live. That's probably the hardest part of this process so far so any advice on which might be better would be awesome...we like the slightly more local feel, closeness to wailea, and good snorkling spots when it comes to kihei, but rent seems a little cheaper in lahaina, and there seems to be more jobs.

So we have already booked to ship the car, and have our plane tickets, plus about $10,000 in the bank towards moving, so that stress is over. We are leaving Feb 25th and couldn't be more excited. I just hope my boyfriend can find a job!

Any advice on the difference between living in Lahaina and Kihei would be so appreciated. I can't believe we haven't decided yet!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM

406 posts, read 865,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
Thanks again for your advice...especially about bringing letters of credit!

Luckily I have spoken to my manager at Starbucks and I have been offered jobs at a Starbucks in Lahaina and Kihei so we are just trying to choose where to live. That's probably the hardest part of this process so far so any advice on which might be better would be awesome...we like the slightly more local feel, closeness to wailea, and good snorkling spots when it comes to kihei, but rent seems a little cheaper in lahaina, and there seems to be more jobs.

So we have already booked to ship the car, and have our plane tickets, plus about $10,000 in the bank towards moving, so that stress is over. We are leaving Feb 25th and couldn't be more excited. I just hope my boyfriend can find a job!

Any advice on the difference between living in Lahaina and Kihei would be so appreciated. I can't believe we haven't decided yet!!!
Congratulations on your move to Maui. It's great you have job offers and have done your planning well.

Mickey

Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,889 times
When I have been to Lahaina (2x) I always get a feeling of a local warm community. Perhaps start off there where your overall cost of living is lower, and then transfer after you have had some time to get used to the island?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 PM

94 posts, read 278,003 times
Move to Kihei. I only say that because I like the Starbucks there, and I'll come say hi when I visit in March.

Lahaina is great too. It just depends on the type of lifestyle you want. I prefer Kihei ... just fits my personality better I guess. Lahaina seems too suburban to me and the entire point of moving out of the mainland is to get out of that mindset IMO.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,636 times
Kihei has a younger feeling to it. It's a beach town in every sense of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui