Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Perhaps being a tourist in Seattle is different than living there? It's really interesting the way how a city is experienced is so subjective. We went from the airport to downtown Seattle by the light rail, then took a bus out to a B & B in the Broadway area. Three different people gave us directions to get there. Of course, we were obvious tourists trailing our hot pink Hawaiian print wheeled luggage so perhaps they took pity on us. I would hope we would be as kind to any of the tourists we find here.
I live north of Seattle. Never had any problems when I go down there.

Honestly, I think it all ties in to how each person is as an individual. If you are a positive person, you tend to have positive experiences. If you are negative, you tend to have negative experiences. There are always people having a bad day, or are just plain negative. If you are positive...you tend to interact with other people who are positive.

This forum seems to be no different. But then again, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM

14 posts, read 68,207 times
Thanks alot for the advice on the hostels. We actually might just rent a car and pull an all-nighter!

As for the plane tickets, I just checked priceline and found roundtrip tickets leaving for the same day that we have already purchased tickets for and they were nearly $450 for each ticket which is more than we paid for both of our one way tickets.

I know job hunting will be tough but I just got a job at starbucks and will hopefully be able to just transfer to a job in kihei.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,754 times
when will you be arriving in Kehei??? I am just north from you guys, vancouver canada and am moving to Maui at the end of the month... Whooo hooo I wish you well and luck in your move??? Are you shipping your car or buying one on the island???

Old 10-30-2010, 03:42 AM

My friend and I stayed at the Maui Seaside Motel in Kahului, it is locally owned which we liked and if you go to hotels.com you can get an even better deal....

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 AM

14 posts, read 68,207 times
stylenca you are so lucky! my boyfriend is from seattle and his entire family loves vancouver so much. We are shipping his car, it's only about $1000 from the west coast. So....I may need a little more advice. We were pretty set on moving to kihei but my boyfriend is noticing how alot of other cities have much cheaper apartments....areas like kahalului and the beach areas a little north of lahaina. I'm just concerned that that there won't be as many jobs over there and i've heard that kahalului can be kinda ghetto. any advice on where to live? I'm kinda set on kihei still because it's so close to walei. We are only 130 day away from moving and I am so very excited. Our plane tickets are for March 10th!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,307,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
As for the plane tickets, I just checked priceline and found roundtrip tickets leaving for the same day that we have already purchased tickets for and they were nearly $450 for each ticket which is more than we paid for both of our one way tickets.

The price goes down when you actually confirm booking. I know that sounds like a total lie (and risky!) but seriously, it's true. We did it twice and our friends did it once for thier honeymoon.

Quote:
I know job hunting will be tough but I just got a job at starbucks and will hopefully be able to just transfer to a job in kihei.
Wow, good for you! hopefully you can do that! I'm jealous!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,307,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylenca View Post
My friend and I stayed at the Maui Seaside Motel in Kahului, it is locally owned which we liked and if you go to hotels.com you can get an even better deal....
haha that's where we stayed last year... do you have an apartment lined up already? There was a really nice one on craigslist that said it was available dec 1st but the ad was posted just a week or so ago almost made me wanna move a few weeks early. (not really, this is not something I should make hasty decisions about!)

edit:
SeattletoMaui - "Kahului" Start practicing pronunciation and spelling now! :P

Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 AM

Hahahah I know right!!!! The spelling is just the beginning for us, wait until you ask us how to say it, I can only imagine what you are thinking... Stupid tourist can't speak and pronounce the City, or street names.....

As for Craigslist. Ha ha hahah good luck.... I just want to warn other people out there, just be careful about getting scammed.... Don't send money to anyone!!! In the last month or so I have been looking for nice places to stay, thinking they looked legit, only to get an email. "Hi I am Reverened So and So, I would like you to rent my house but because of a job transfer I am in Nigeria...I can give you the "documents and Keys" but please do not use the keys inside the house, or if the keys don't work I will fully refund you the amount of the deposit." HECK NO flagged and deleted... out of say 10 emails i sent, 5 of them were scams...

What I am having a problem with is places that take animals perferably dogs. I have 2 english bulldogs that will come at a later time, after the 120days has elapse. Do most places have a No pet policy? Just curious because they are being fostered by my friends...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Since you are not moving until next March, looking for an apartment now is a waste of time. A landlord may *think* they will have a lease available, but the person in it may renew.

As to your pet questions, start the process NOW to avoid quarantine. ( I have 2 english bulldogs that will come at a later time, after the 120days has elapse.) That statement makes me think you do not understand how to get a pet into Hawaii. You are 150 days out right now. Read through the other threads on bringing a dog into Hawaii. If you get your act together, your dogs can move with you, not later.

Last edited by mdand3boys; 11-02-2010 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2010, 01:51 AM

346 posts, read 969,104 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I are moving to Maui and have been doing a lot of research but have stumbled across a few questions...
1. Why is it so rare for studio apartments to have a full stove?
You're probably looking at studios built onto houses. If a home has more than one kitchen (kitchen = oven+refrigerator+sink) then you end up in a higher property tax situation. A lot of people that rent studios out are doing so illegally, and leave the full kitchen out so that the government doesn't flag them as a potential illegal rental.

I lived in one for a year and a half on Oahu

2. What is the average cost of electricity in a one bedroom or studio?
Probably like 30 something cents a kWh

3. Are there enough touristy restaurants in kihie for me (with 6 years experience) to find a good serving job?
There's a lot of restaurants... not sure about the jobs though.

4. Is there ANY way to ship your car with things in the trunk...Does anyone at all ship from Seattle other than Matson
Dunno

5. How far ahead should we buy our one way tickets to fly to hawaii?
I'd say tickets are cheapest maybe 3 months out.

6. What is the best way to get to Kihei from Kahului airport (cheeply, with luggage..)
If you're not going to have housing lined up, book a night (or however many you need) at a hotel with shuttle service to the airport. Otherwise you'll pay out the a$$ for a taxi.

7. What jobs are the easiest to get with a decent pay in Kihei?
Dunno

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are moving in March and can't wait!

My advice is somewhat lacking. I live on Oahu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui