Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Lava was above the crater rim of Hale ma'uma'u?!!! Shootz! If I woulda known, I'd have gone to see it! Generally lava in the park doesn't get so exuberant.
True, but it has been more active than usual recently. The level has been going up and down like water in a bathtub, sometimes fairly quickly, along with a lot of splashing. Then a few days ago, was it Monday? there was an earthquake, and a 20' section of the crater ledge broke off and fell in, and there were tall columns of lava spurting up, all under the light of a nearly full moon.

It's active, know what I'm sayin'? Active. Unlike some other so-called volcanoes in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Definitions, definitions, definitions... taller isn't necessarily bigger. Kilauea has far more mass than those skinny Japanese volcanoes. And Mauna Lea and Mauna Kea are taller mountains than Mt. Everest if you measure them tip to base... which is deep under the sea.
"Mauna Lea?" At least you didn't throw in an extra 'okina (glottal stop) and make it "Mauna Le'a."

It's probably an exercise in futility to attempt to explain the differences among shield volcanoes, composite volcanoes ("stratovolcanoes"), "cinder cones", and "lava domes" to a "layperson" that's having difficulty with the concept of what's considered an "active volcano."

Consider the following analogous English language sentence pairs...

The volcano is active.
The volcano is erupting.

The woman is pregnant.
The woman is giving birth.

The man is sick.
The man is throwing up.

The first sentence in each pair denotes a "condition" or "state of being", while the second describes an "action."

We can combine the sentence pairs into single, descriptive sentences as follows...

The active volcano is erupting.
The pregnant woman is giving birth.
The sick man is throwing up.

Now, using "layperson's logic", we can also combine the sentence pairs as follows...

The active volcano is active.
The pregnant woman is pregnant.
The sick man is sick.

While grammatically correct, the "layperson's logic" sentences are also stating the obvious.

If a volcano is erupting, it's obviously active. However, a volcano doesn't have to be erupting to be active -- the potential of an eruption is enough. The earthquake of October 15, 2006 located on the major rift zone of Hualālai should have served as a "wake up call" that volcanoes that aren't currently spewing lava still have plenty of activity left in them.

There's a old saying someone from Texas taught me that's applicable to volcanoes. It goes as follows...

Every shut eye ain't closed, and every goodbye ain't gone.

On a geologic time scale, a hundred years or even a few thousand years is just a mere "blip." Mauna Loa, Hualālai, Mauna Kea, and Haleakakā might not erupt again during our lifetimes, but there's a high probability that they will erupt again in the future.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
"Mauna Lea?" At least you didn't throw in an extra 'okina (glottal stop) and make it "Mauna Le'a."
What, there's no glottal stop on Mona Luau? Then where do you catch it?

Quote:
It's probably an exercise in futility to attempt to explain the differences among shield volcanoes, composite volcanoes ("stratovolcanoes"), "cinder cones", and "lava domes" to a "layperson" that's having difficulty with the concept of what's considered an "active volcano."
Yeah, probably futile, but give it a go. I'm easily amused.

Quote:
Consider the following analogous English language sentence pairs...
Hold on, I can tell I'm gonna need more coffee...

Quote:
The volcano is active.
The volcano is erupting.

The woman is pregnant.
The woman is giving birth.

The man is sick.
The man is throwing up.

The first sentence in each pair denotes a "condition" or "state of being", while the second describes an "action."

We can combine the sentence pairs into single, descriptive sentences as follows...

The active volcano is erupting.
The pregnant woman is giving birth.
The sick man is throwing up.

Now, using "layperson's logic", we can also combine the sentence pairs as follows...

The active volcano is active.
The pregnant woman is pregnant.
The sick man is sick.

While grammatically correct, the "layperson's logic" sentences are also stating the obvious.
Hey, what is this forum about if not restating the obvious? People pop on here several times a week, say "I'm moving to Oahu. What about the jobs/salaries/housing/crime/racism/schools there?" and then we try to help. I think I'm going to write a macro that types in "Welcome. Please read sticky thread #2 above and search the back pages thoroughly, then rephrase your question."

Quote:
If a volcano is erupting, it's obviously active. However, a volcano doesn't have to be erupting to be active -- the potential of an eruption is enough. The earthquake of October 15, 2006 located on the major rift zone of Hualālai should have served as a "wake up call" that volcanoes that aren't currently spewing lava still have plenty of activity left in them.
Oh, I know. And the next time Mauna Kea (not to be confused with Moona Looa) erupts, people who bought property near it will be all like "Wahhhhh. Why didn't anybody tell me?" Like that woman in Kalapana who built on lava that was still warm 8 years ago and is now devastated that she was devastated by a fresh breakout a coupla weeks ago. People are funny, yes or not?

Quote:
There's a old saying someone from Texas taught me that's applicable to volcanoes. It goes as follows...

Every shut eye ain't closed, and every goodbye ain't gone.
I like that. It's worth stealing. Brings to mind that C&W song "How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

Quote:
On a geologic time scale, a hundred years or even a few thousand years is just a mere "blip." Mauna Loa, Hualālai, Mauna Kea, and Haleakakā might not erupt again during our lifetimes, but there's a high probability that they will erupt again in the future.
I lost my Geologic Time Scale (tm) in the weeds years ago, so I guess I just have to rough it. Or maybe I can find a used one on eBay?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,065,938 times
True, humans aren't so good at geologic time. A lot of houses in the Kona district and some of those fancy hotels are built on what was flowing lava not that long ago. It could do a geologic "blip" at any moment and *poof* houses on the news being eaten by volcanoes.

I kinda consider a volcano to be active if it's likely that it's gonna spew lava over something in the next two decades. I'm not a volcanologist, though so my opinion isn't valid on this subject. Shootz, we even bought an acre of the volcano a year or so ago. It was just over an acre and it had a flowing river on it at the time. The river was made of lava, but it was a river none the less. I figure give it a decade or so to calm down in that area and we will sell it to someone who wants to pay us about ten times what we paid for it. If we don't ever find anyone like that, we will use it for a campground. I'm certainly not planning on building anything there that can't be moved away.

There aren't any active volcanoes on Maui are there?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 AM

Here's an interesting blurb I found on InstantHawaii - Your Big Island of Hawai'i Information and Activity Portal :

"The youngest volcano on the Big Island is Kilauea, which has been erupting non-stop since January 1983. Kilauea is also the most active volcano on the planet and hundreds of thousands of visitors flock to its highly accessible lava flows each year. The Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park near the town of Volcano is the second largest tourist attraction in the state, bested only by Pearl Harbor."

Heh

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 20,550 times
Feels like a month since I've been on the thread but its been a looooong week of plowing and shovelling snow, shovelling roofs, breaking up ice dams and defending my own home against the elements.
Hawaii has been on my mind for several months and this winter is the final nail in my CT coffin.
I would gladly take all the cons...... well, except for starving, to get out of here and be there.
Looks like my thread veered off the original questions but it was an interesting read.

Thanks for the insight, advice and links
...Anyone know of the cheapest flights to Maui from the East Coast??
Newark, New York or Hartford?

Need a carpenter on Maui? Trade for rent? Excellent referalls, 20 years experience in all phases of construction, trim, custom cabinets, repairs and remodelling.

LMAO BWah ha hahahaaahahaha......yeah. Back in the snow I go...*sigh*

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,065,938 times
From the looks of the weather reports many if not most of the airports in the middle of the continental United States may be shut down. You may have to fly through Mexico to get past it.

As far as moving to Maui goes, well, there's generally room for one more if one doesn't want to live like they did on the mainland. You won't freeze your okole off during the winter, but if you don't mind sitting your okole down in what would be considered a shack by mainland standards and eating what's produced locally you might be able to get by. Not having a big overhead helps a lot, too, so don't bring any large car payments or student loan payments or mortgage payments and you can get by. If there's any sort of income you can bring with you, that helps a lot, too.

We just picked up our neighbors from the airport the day before yesterday. They'd been in Idaho for a couple of weeks visiting family. We went past the grocery on the way home since they would need to restock for the next week. Town is thirty miles away and their car broke before they went to the mainland so getting to town is going to be difficult for them although I think we've found a good junkalunka for them so that might be fixed too. But, anyway, at the grocery they were shocked at the food prices and they'd only been on the mainland for two weeks. Milk in Idaho was $1.50 a gallon, at KTA in Hilo it's near to $6 a gallon right now. Eggs in Idaho were around $1, here they are three times that. Mainland bread is around $1, I don't even know what it is here since we can't afford to buy it and have been baking bread for the past five years. They were saying that because of the increased costs, even though he makes a good salary here, he still makes a lot less than he did on the mainland. They also expect him to work 55 to 60 hours a week on his salary without overtime. I don't think they are going to stay here all that long but probably at least until winter is over.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooSerious View Post
Need a carpenter on Maui?
Probably not. But maybe soon, because all the carpenters on Maui are prolly gonna head for Oahu now that the feds just announced a $2.1 billion construction project there.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,604,600 times
There has been significant earthquake around the Kilauea crater in the last several days. The lava stands seem to be reaching higher and higher. I wonder if a lava lake will form at the summit? That would be darn cool.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There has been significant earthquake around the Kilauea crater in the last several days. The lava stands seem to be reaching higher and higher. I wonder if a lava lake will form at the summit? That would be darn cool.
I'm not sure I'd call it cool. More like HOT!

But yeah, that would be cool.

It does seem like something is building up over there. My neighbor the park ranger says they don't think we've seen the peak of this latest series of episodes yet.

I've been looking at historical photos from the days when Mark Twain visited, when Kiluea actually was a lake of molten lava. Pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui