Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM

98 posts, read 543,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
It sounds like maybe you've never been there and you didn't say where you live no, but it's hard to really overstate how remote Hana is. We own a place on the island and will eventually live there full time, but Hana, lovely as it s, would be a HUGE life-style adjustment that I don't think my wife and I would have an easy time with.
You're right I've never been there. I will be spending some time there next month. I have spent several months on the north shore of O'ahu but it is a completely different ballgame. I grew up in a tiny town about the size of Hana but it was not remote or isolated. Other than the obvious lack of access to big box stores & restaurants, what would be the hardest adjustment for you living in Hana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
for me it would be nothing to do other than be at home or on the beach. anywhere else on island there is "activity", people to meet or to do things with. tons of places to eat, movies and a tiny bit of shopping. all within a few minutes of where you live.

think of a town in the mainland 3 to 4 hours away from anywhere with only a general store and post office.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM

I am an avid hiker & kayaker, so in addition to beach I would fill my time with both of those.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
some killer places to hike for sure

Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The thing that I would be paying the most attention to would be how many tourists are wandering around. It seems that every tourist who visits Maui wants to take the Road to Hana. That includes all the tourists off the cruise ships and tour buses.

If there are lots of tourists, then it might be a good place to open a lemonade stand, but I would find it irritating to live in an isolated place, with not much to do, yet have tourists crawling all over the place, wandering around looking at everything, wondering what there is to do, and clogging up the roads.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
[quote=ruprick;31213312]what a helpful, productive reply. Not obnoxious in any way, shape or form. I hope your nose is OK and your caps lock button survived the barrage
/QUOTE]

I've lived in Hana, and that's how the folks in Hana would react to anyone mumule enough to mention, 'Locals, south highway, and 'other cities' in the same sentence. Move to Hana, you won't like it, and, more importantly, Hana won't like you. But don't take my word for it, I'm new in town

Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 PM

96 posts, read 145,047 times
As beautiful Hana is and as much as I picture that I'd enjoy remote living, I'd consider it for a few months or a year. But as Jungjohann puts it, it might be that Hana won't like you (or your family). But on the other hand, heck why not try it. If you won't you might look back in 20 years and wonder why you didn't try. You seem to not be one of those people who won't be able to afford a ticket back should it really not work out. And if whatever you do is in demand in Hana you might be able to find something elswhere on the island should you decide that Hana really isn't for you. It sure is beautiful. And we drive the "back way" to Hana every time we're on the island (and then we are some of those annoying tourists who walk around town and looking at everything). Other than in bad rain where the road gets really dangerous it's not all that bad (actually very beautiful) if you have a decent car (ideally a 4x4) that has a very limited danger of breaking down (however, if it does break down, you'll wait a looooong time for help). But that's from someone who's used to worse roads. One last thing: remoteness also means far away from more than basic medical attention. If you can live with that with regards to your kids (me having boys who tend to do silly things and break bones) then that's another point in favour of Hana.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've lived in Hana, and that's how the folks in Hana would react to anyone mumule enough to mention, 'Locals, south highway, and 'other cities' in the same sentence. Move to Hana, you won't like it, and, more importantly, Hana won't like you. But don't take my word for it, I'm new in town
Well my research is done then. Thanks for saving me a flight out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoleka1 View Post
As beautiful Hana is and as much as I picture that I'd enjoy remote living, I'd consider it for a few months or a year. But as Jungjohann puts it, it might be that Hana won't like you (or your family). But on the other hand, heck why not try it. If you won't you might look back in 20 years and wonder why you didn't try. You seem to not be one of those people who won't be able to afford a ticket back should it really not work out. And if whatever you do is in demand in Hana you might be able to find something elswhere on the island should you decide that Hana really isn't for you. It sure is beautiful. And we drive the "back way" to Hana every time we're on the island (and then we are some of those annoying tourists who walk around town and looking at everything). Other than in bad rain where the road gets really dangerous it's not all that bad (actually very beautiful) if you have a decent car (ideally a 4x4) that has a very limited danger of breaking down (however, if it does break down, you'll wait a looooong time for help). But that's from someone who's used to worse roads. One last thing: remoteness also means far away from more than basic medical attention. If you can live with that with regards to your kids (me having boys who tend to do silly things and break bones) then that's another point in favour of Hana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The thing that I would be paying the most attention to would be how many tourists are wandering around. It seems that every tourist who visits Maui wants to take the Road to Hana. That includes all the tourists off the cruise ships and tour buses.

If there are lots of tourists, then it might be a good place to open a lemonade stand, but I would find it irritating to live in an isolated place, with not much to do, yet have tourists crawling all over the place, wandering around looking at everything, wondering what there is to do, and clogging up the roads.
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. You've given me more to consider.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 145,047 times
Hey, would really be curious to find out, how you decide! And what made you decide that way.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM

337 posts, read 613,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Do the locals take the south highway to the bigger cities in order to avoid the tourists on the road to Hana?
If you don't mind going over some roads like this:

Image credit to Wanderlust blog

Not all of it is like that, just certain parts, and they've been fixing parts of it. The blog has more pics of other parts of the road which are long and paved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui