Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 AM

96 posts, read 145,180 times

Advertisements

Beautiful picture! Looks like a highway to me ;-). All you need is a car with a good suspension (would not want to drive it in a 911 or Ferrari)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM

98 posts, read 544,017 times
Huh, the locals call it a highway after all. Jungo burned his nose with coffee for nothing.

In all seriousness, I plan on bringing my 4x4 truck with me. I'd like to check this road out but it looks like it wouldn't be a reliable alternative to driving to other parts of Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
If you don't mind going over some roads like this:

Image credit to Wanderlust blog

Not all of it is like that, just certain parts, and they've been fixing parts of it. The blog has more pics of other parts of the road which are long and paved.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Huh, the locals call it a highway after all. Jungo burned his nose with coffee for nothing.
You're right. It's not only a highway, it's a SUPER highway. Straight as an arrow, four lanes in each direction, passing lanes, zipper lanes, 'close your eyes kids' lanes, throw up on the windshield lanes, it's got EVERYTHING!!! The Hana Superhighway is actually where the phrase, 'Are we there yet?' originated!! And, on your way past Hana City, don't forget to take Exit 33H, it's right past the Hasegawa offramp, and visit the Lindberg Memorial Towers complex. You can't miss it, it's next to McDonald's, not the FIRST McDonald's, the THIRD McDonald's.....

Hope this helps

are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?

uuuurrrrppppp........

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM

98 posts, read 544,017 times
Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You're right. It's not only a highway, it's a SUPER highway. Straight as an arrow, four lanes in each direction, passing lanes, zipper lanes, 'close your eyes kids' lanes, throw up on the windshield lanes, it's got EVERYTHING!!! The Hana Superhighway is actually where the phrase, 'Are we there yet?' originated!! And, on your way past Hana City, don't forget to take Exit 33H, it's right past the Hasegawa offramp, and visit the Lindberg Memorial Towers complex. You can't miss it, it's next to McDonald's, not the FIRST McDonald's, the THIRD McDonald's.....

Hope this helps

are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?

uuuurrrrppppp........

Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM

66 posts, read 233,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

Hope this helps

uuuurrrrppppp........
Yep..........and just past the 4th Starbucks and 5th ABC Store.............

Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 PM

280 posts, read 473,503 times
Being a recent transient from the Mainland to Maui myself I can assure you there is really only 1 highway on Maui and the speed limit is 40mph. Since this is the only highway, the only places you will get to relatively quickly are to places connected to this highway which only runs from Kahului to Kihei.

Living in Hana is definitely the "remote" part of Maui. If you can live AND work close to eachother that is your best bet on Maui. Otherwise be careful where you choose to live as your commute could be slow for island related reasons mainlanders simply don't experience. IE, no alternative roads during a road closure, or repairs.

The closer you can live and work to the Mokulele Hwy (311) the faster your commute times will be to work, and lifes necessities.

Since this is the "backbone highway" of maui it really connects all the other "parts" of maui and therefore the further you get from this backbone, the more you need to understand the effects of living further away. IE Medical Care, airport/Costco runs.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,070,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
In all seriousness, I plan on bringing my 4x4 truck with me. I'd like to check this road out but it looks like it wouldn't be a reliable alternative to driving to other parts of Maui.
It's a stunningly beautiful road. It's a shame that it isn't paved and maintained so that the tourists can enjoy the beauty, but perhaps the heavy traffic load would ruin it.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM

569 posts, read 781,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It's a stunningly beautiful road. It's a shame that it isn't paved and maintained so that the tourists can enjoy the beauty, but perhaps the heavy traffic load would ruin it.
I think some things should be a little bit of a challenge and adventure to see. For many people, seeing something special has become, "pull up in your car, lean out the window, snap a quick picture and post it on Facebook so you can tell everyone about the amazing experience".

Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,777,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I think some things should be a little bit of a challenge and adventure to see. For many people, seeing something special has become, "pull up in your car, lean out the window, snap a quick picture and post it on Facebook so you can tell everyone about the amazing experience".
++1

Reminds me of the Joni Mitchell song Big Yellow Taxi, with the line "they paved paradise to put in a parking lot". A cautionary tale about what we often (mistakenly) think of as progress.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Paving this stretch, then encouraging all of the tourists to make the entire trip in ONE direction would do a lot to solve the near-gridlock that occurs constantly on the paved road to Hana. Securing and making the "Oprah road" public would help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui