Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 PM

202 posts, read 583,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Oh come on!!! Living in Arlington because you want a big yard for your dog to play in and a non-violent education for your children means you are abondoning the poor people in the inner city? Do you live in Orange Mound? Hollywood? I mean, seriously. We're not all martars here. "Sorry kids, you're going to have to skip college because I ethically need to donate all your college fund to the homeless."

How much money has Bill Gates donated to AIDS programs all over the world? Is that not good enough, he needs to move down to Compton or East St. Louis in order to prove himself as a humanitarian?

I don't think anyone needs to "keep their mouth shut" just because they live in a suburb and don't worship the Bush family and go to southern baptist church 8 times a week. If we live in a society where people are not allowed to express an ounce of "liberal" opinion to their neighbors, then this isn't the USA anymore. And I highly doubt the OP meant that she's going to go around to all her neighbors preaching liberal values and forcing them on people.

Well you know I might try to change their wicked ways LOL You are 100% correct though Pearlrob, if we can't express our opinions I would just as soon move to Canada.......I just asked because I needed to know I wouldn't be surrounded by a bunch of crazies (yes I do consider biblethumping Bush supporters to be crazy........if they are just biblethumpers they are fine with me). And thank you for seeing what I was saying.......I know it sounded off, and probably should not have asked.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
Yes, you have to pay sales tax on everything, but otherwise the tax structure is very generous, especially to those with higher incomes. They tried to pass an income tax a few years ago, but a near riot at the state capitol prevented it and seemed to kill it forever. The state is currently having huge surpluses, so the taxes should be stable or possibly decreasing.
Thanks for that bit of info. One of the things that appealled to us was no income tax. Here in Florida we do not pay it either, and though sales tax is higher and we will now have to pay sales tax on groceries (which is just wrong in my opinion) I still think the cost of living is lower. What we will save in insurance costs will more than make up for the sales tax difference.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Memphis is the most liberal area of the state. Of course, compared to other cities up north....you know. We are still way more conservative. Christianity is huge here. I think people are way more concerned with making sure you are Christian than worrying about you being democrat or republican. Honestly.

I think in most cities, you tend to find more liberal people in the city. But that's not to say the conservative people move to the burbs. I have met many, many hard core republicans living downtown and in midtown. Many "old rich" people tend to be republican, and there are a whoole lot of "old rich" in midtown. Downtown, not so much, except on the island which is very yuppie-esque. But really, who cares? no one likes it shoved in their face, but I don't think you're goign to have burning crosses on your front lawn either.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Memphis is the most liberal area of the state. Of course, compared to other cities up north....you know. We are still way more conservative. Christianity is huge here. I think people are way more concerned with making sure you are Christian than worrying about you being democrat or republican. Honestly.

I think in most cities, you tend to find more liberal people in the city. But that's not to say the conservative people move to the burbs. I have met many, many hard core republicans living downtown and in midtown. Many "old rich" people tend to be republican, and there are a whoole lot of "old rich" in midtown. Downtown, not so much, except on the island which is very yuppie-esque. But really, who cares? no one likes it shoved in their face, but I don't think you're goign to have burning crosses on your front lawn either.

Well I am a Christian, so I should be okay (just not sure if I am Christian enough LOL). Not that it matters to me.
Alright now that we have politics and religion out of the way could you tell me more about Memphis and what is not to be missed. I am in my mid-30s hubby is older, we like to have fun, we love to eat out especially Italian.......Bars are important, but not clubs. A nice Irish Pub if I could find one would be awesome!!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Tons of irish bars in memphis (not sure why).

Celtic Crossing is midtown has been rated the best overall bar in Memphis for 2 years now (something like that). Huge outdoor patio all year round. Definite mix of young and old, yuppie and alternative. They just put out the "Memphis' Best" results, and it was voted best bar. Irish bartender and all.

Otherwise, there are TJ Mulligans all over town. Also Dan McGuiness. Silky O'Sullivans downtown. Pat O'briens downtown (although that's a NOLA irish bar).

Flying Saucer for beer, especially the one downtown.

For Italian: Ronnie Grisanti and his family has it Memphis down for that. They have tons of restaurants all over. Spindini downtown, Grisanti's in east Memphis, Bol A Pasta in Cordova, and a relative owns Dino's in Midtown (very authentic, relaxed, BYOB). I think they have a few more places too.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Here you go:

Most Popular PubWinner: Celtic Crossing

Celtic Crossing’s status as Most Popular Pub is inextricably linked to the fact that it may be the most welcoming pub in town. Located in an old house in Cooper-Young, the bar has a cozy feel. And with owners who mostly hail from across Ireland and Scotland, it may be the most authentic Irish Pub you’re likely to find off the Emerald Isle. It all combines to make a place where a lot of very different people feel at home.

“It’s a pretty eclectic mix,” says manager Lynne Hardin of the two-year- old establishment’s clientele. “You’ll have a tattoo artist sitting next to Mike Matthews from Channel 3, and they’ll be having a fine old time swapping numbers and telling stories.”

902 S. Cooper, 274-5151. 11 a.m.-3 a.m. seven days a week; or visit celticcrossingmemphis.com.

Finalists: Flying Saucer, TJ Mulligan’s

Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Also: tjmulligans.com and danmcguiness.com

The Saucer is beerknurd.com

Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Here you go:

Most Popular PubWinner: Celtic Crossing

Celtic Crossing’s status as Most Popular Pub is inextricably linked to the fact that it may be the most welcoming pub in town. Located in an old house in Cooper-Young, the bar has a cozy feel. And with owners who mostly hail from across Ireland and Scotland, it may be the most authentic Irish Pub you’re likely to find off the Emerald Isle. It all combines to make a place where a lot of very different people feel at home.

“It’s a pretty eclectic mix,” says manager Lynne Hardin of the two-year- old establishment’s clientele. “You’ll have a tattoo artist sitting next to Mike Matthews from Channel 3, and they’ll be having a fine old time swapping numbers and telling stories.”

902 S. Cooper, 274-5151. 11 a.m.-3 a.m. seven days a week; or visit celticcrossingmemphis.com.

Finalists: Flying Saucer, TJ Mulligan’s
I can not wait to check this place out!!! How far is that from Germantown Road though?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 PM

Pretty far. It's in midtown. About 18 miles on Google maps (38016 to Cooper-Young in 38104). From your house, it would be a few more miles at least.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Pretty far. It's in midtown. About 18 miles on Google maps (38016 to Cooper-Young in 38104). From your house, it would be a few more miles at least.
Well atleast Flying Saucer in Cordova is only 15 minutes
Pearlbob, thank you so much for answering my questions and as the next few weeks go by I am sure I will have a million more!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis