Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 154,662 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Brand new to the forum. Are there any threads about how Memphis was in the eighties and early 90's? I moved to Memphis in 1979, left in 1997, had some good years there.

Would be interested in reliving some old memories of the way it was in that time frame.

Thanks y'all......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM

93 posts, read 457,254 times
Sorry you haven't had any feedback. Thought I'd share some of my memories.

I moved here in the 70s and these are a few of the things that I miss most from the 70s, 80s, 90s:
Ireland's (steak biscuits and skinny fries)
Beef & Liberty
Elan for dancing
Lipsey's seafood market
The Peddler (steaks selected and cut at your table)
The Loft (before it was turned into a strip joint!)

Raleigh Springs Mall was really nice (long before Mall of Memphis and Hickory Ridge Mall)
Coliseum for Tiger games and concerts
Mid-South Fair
the movie theaters that are now Bookstar and Stein Mart in E. Memphis
And I lived in Countrywood when it was the only thing on Germantown Road (Germantown Road had only 2 lanes) and we had to go to Bartlett or Germantown for groceries. I could go on and on.....

And I am not of the belief that change is always good. I miss a lot of these things.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Things I miss...

Friend's....the dance club on Old Summer Road. After it closed the owner's opened Eagle's Nest, but it just wasn't the same...

Even earlier than that....the North End downtown where you could have some great red beans & rice while listening to Sid Selvidge

Galloway Golf Course prior to the renovation. The new course is certainly a more challenging layout and in MUCH better condition, but I miss the old course since I probably played there 1000 times...

Goldsmith's

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM

62 posts, read 287,455 times
Default hmm

Gee....

Confetti/Cowboy
Swiss Manor !
Drinks at Houlihan's
Dancing at Scruples
Lousy food at The Cooker..lol
Lousy food at Grady's on Primacy...
Nice neighborhood bar named Bull and Bear on Quince
Mr B's
Cafe Max
Horsefeather's at the old Holiday Inn Mt. Moriah and 240

and the old Victoria Station (the steak place in a rail car !) at Mendemhall near Cottonwood or I guess across the street from the old Schlling Lincoln mercury dealership

Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Default I remember these!! Most anyway......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
Gee....

Confetti/Cowboy
Swiss Manor !
Drinks at Houlihan's
Dancing at Scruples
Lousy food at The Cooker..lol
Lousy food at Grady's on Primacy...
Nice neighborhood bar named Bull and Bear on Quince
Mr B's
Cafe Max
Horsefeather's at the old Holiday Inn Mt. Moriah and 240

and the old Victoria Station (the steak place in a rail car !) at Mendemhall near Cottonwood or I guess across the street from the old Schlling Lincoln mercury dealership
Thanks Deb!

Where was Scruples? The two Brothers ran it didn't they? Was it on Ridgeway by Benihana?

I actually DJ'ed at Houlihans after I worked at.....Wellingtons, N' Cahoots, Trivia.......Desperado

Used to go to Horsefeathers a lot......between there and Flanigans. And after hours........Underground.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Friends on Old Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Things I miss...

Friend's....the dance club on Old Summer Road. After it closed the owner's opened Eagle's Nest, but it just wasn't the same...

Even earlier than that....the North End downtown where you could have some great red beans & rice while listening to Sid Selvidge

Galloway Golf Course prior to the renovation. The new course is certainly a more challenging layout and in MUCH better condition, but I miss the old course since I probably played there 1000 times...

Goldsmith's
Man, I lived at Friends......91-94.........cool stuff.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Wednesday evenings at Friend's was great. Have a bite to eat, a drink or several, win a few bucks on the horse races, and dance the night away. Sure made the week seem shorter when you made a "weekend" every Wednesday! Then we'd go back on Friday and Saturday too..

I'm sure we saw each other there......

Poor Red's was another good bar - especially when Reba Russell was playing there....

Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 AM

hmm

Trying to remember the name of the guy who Dj'd at Houlihan's for a long time
as a part time thing.....he was an air traffic controller as well......then there was a dark haired
younger guy.......but do you remember a crazy guy named "Redbone" ?

Yes Scruple's was on RidgeLake, near the Benihana.....then later it was the original spot for Ruth's Chris

Houlihan's had a ton of well dressed, well off guys....lots of guys from Union Planter's, lots of attorneys, and really other farily slick guys ! lol.....the parking lot looked like a car show !...I especially remember a couple of guys that always parked their exotics, Benzes, etc right out front of Scruples and in front of Houlihan's....one in particular a nice looking guy who drove a red Ferarri ....and a guy who resembled Elvis (really he did) who drove a balck Mercedes- those days were fun- I wonder what happened to those guys ???? ha !! where did they go ? I wanna know !!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM

MM Cohn !
Dawahares

Coletta's men shop on Poplar /Shady Grove

OO yeeessssss DOTTIES SHOES on Summer ! loved that place...CHEAP

and don't forget Admiral Benbow Inn and the bowling alley on Summer !

The FIRST TJ MULLIGAN's on Quince when it was hopping !!!!!! great bands on the weekend !!!!! like a guy named Carlos (Carlton) Morales who had played in England with Julian Lennon, Carlos played guitar, his brother played bass !! too bad the location has gone downhill !!!!! EVERYBODY went to Mulligan's on QUINCE then

Is the Crescent CLub still open ???? haven't thought about that place in a longwhile- atop the Crescent Bldg

Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
hmm

Trying to remember the name of the guy who Dj'd at Houlihan's for a long time
as a part time thing.....he was an air traffic controller as well......then there was a dark haired
younger guy.......but do you remember a crazy guy named "Redbone" ?

Yes Scruple's was on RidgeLake, near the Benihana.....then later it was the original spot for Ruth's Chris

Houlihan's had a ton of well dressed, well off guys....lots of guys from Union Planter's, lots of attorneys, and really other farily slick guys ! lol.....the parking lot looked like a car show !...I especially remember a couple of guys that always parked their exotics, Benzes, etc right out front of Scruples and in front of Houlihan's....one in particular a nice looking guy who drove a red Ferarri ....and a guy who resembled Elvis (really he did) who drove a balck Mercedes- those days were fun- I wonder what happened to those guys ???? ha !! where did they go ? I wanna know !!
Deb,

Redbone was actually with us at Wellingtons and then when it changed to Trivia. I worked door there then.....The other DJ when I worked at Houlihans was named "Kid Davie" Quite a guy. When he wasn't at Houlihans, did the stilt walking thing and catching flaming arrows.....I remember the red Ferrari, use to see him at Marlee's (In Eastgate shopping center, Park and Mt. Moriah, the after-hours club.

When I was at Trivia, there was a whole crew of us that had Vettes, we'd all park them across the street at "Delectables" all backed in side by side.

Remember cruising around Audubon Park and McKellar Park back then too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis