Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 154,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Wednesday evenings at Friend's was great. Have a bite to eat, a drink or several, win a few bucks on the horse races, and dance the night away. Sure made the week seem shorter when you made a "weekend" every Wednesday! Then we'd go back on Friday and Saturday too..

I'm sure we saw each other there......

Poor Red's was another good bar - especially when Reba Russell was playing there....
I bet we did Joe. I used to hang out on the wall over on the side of club. I was hanging out with a bunch of my cop and deputy buddies back then......what was the lady (curly blonde hair) that ran the place? The only one I can remember was John, the DJ and the bartender "Hazel".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
We usually sat at one of the tables near the dance floor by the railing in the back....better to watch the video screen from there That large video screen was great! I can remember the lady's name....i think she and her sister were the owners...and then opened the Eagle's Nest several months after Friend's closed...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphoJim View Post
Man, I lived at Friends......91-94.........cool stuff.
When I would come into town for the holidays, Friends was a place I ALWAYS went. I loved that place!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM

62 posts, read 287,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphoJim View Post
Deb,

Redbone was actually with us at Wellingtons and then when it changed to Trivia. I worked door there then.....The other DJ when I worked at Houlihans was named "Kid Davie" Quite a guy. When he wasn't at Houlihans, did the stilt walking thing and catching flaming arrows.....I remember the red Ferrari, use to see him at Marlee's (In Eastgate shopping center, Park and Mt. Moriah, the after-hours club.

When I was at Trivia, there was a whole crew of us that had Vettes, we'd all park them across the street at "Delectables" all backed in side by side.

Remember cruising around Audubon Park and McKellar Park back then too?

YES I remember Kid Davie !!!!!!! he had red hair, and a mustache, right ????.........I don't think he was from Memphis originally....he was good AND funny

Are you the guy with the dark hair and deep voice that had a ruddy/rougher/tanned sort of complexion ??????

You remember the wooden bear ???lol.....in the corner, circle table ???

How about a great server, petite super attractive short haired brunnette named Jill ?? she's a long time friend of mine....finally wise and moved to Denver !

What was the name of a rather avant garde three story hopping club in an old castle like house in midtown ???

Was it actually called The Castle ??? had different levels and themed bars throughout the whole building !!!!!! strange, but a hip place at the time

Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post

What was the name of a rather avant garde three story hopping club in an old castle like house in midtown ???

Was it actually called The Castle ??? had different levels and themed bars throughout the whole building !!!!!! strange, but a hip place at the time
That's Ashlar Hall, and I believe it's been a club at least twice. The last time it was owned/run by Prince Mongo, and I believe it was called "The Castle" that time.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
It's now an eyesore. The house itself is nice looking, but the "yard" is a dirt pile with broken down cars in it (last I paid attention). I wish they would do something with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
That's Ashlar Hall, and I believe it's been a club at least twice. The last time it was owned/run by Prince Mongo, and I believe it was called "The Castle" that time.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Default This Great Thread Just Keeps New Memories Popping Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
YES I remember Kid Davie !!!!!!! he had red hair, and a mustache, right ????.........I don't think he was from Memphis originally....he was good AND funny

Are you the guy with the dark hair and deep voice that had a ruddy/rougher/tanned sort of complexion ??????

You remember the wooden bear ???lol.....in the corner, circle table ???

How about a great server, petite super attractive short haired brunnette named Jill ?? she's a long time friend of mine....finally wise and moved to Denver !

Yep! That was Kid Davie. Really cool guy. I maybe guilty of who your thinking of......very deep voice actually.

Joe's right; it was the the old Ashlar hall.......I and then became "The Castle"

You know we probably all know each other by sight........

Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Default Prince Mongo's Zambodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
It's now an eyesore. The house itself is nice looking, but the "yard" is a dirt pile with broken down cars in it (last I paid attention). I wish they would do something with it.
Pearlbob, does Mongo still have the place further East on Park almost to Mt. Moriah?

And by the way, thank you for letting us indulge our "old days" on this thread, especially me, the new guy......

Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 PM

62 posts, read 287,486 times
L&N Cafe...

what was the name of the place than burned down, corner of Poplar Pike and Forest Hill Irene right near the RR tracks, across from Swiss Manor ??

PigNWhitstle Holiday Inn

Chelsea Street at the MofM

Rotating restaurant at the UP building on Poplar

Bistro 121

Thalheimer's

Service Merchandise !

The Memphis Southmen football team

can't remember the name of that hoppin place on Brookhaven Circle---everybody was there for happy hour!!

Last edited by DebFlack; 02-22-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,558,757 times
The place that burnt down I recall too, but also can't remember the name...would know it if someone said it. Ate in that rotating restaurant also. The other restaurant in those buildings was the Summit Club in Clark Tower. Here're some more and sorry if some are maybe more 70ish -

Downtown -
Pearl's in the UP Bldg - it was really good.
Shanty Inn in that bldg basement - don't recall which bldg.
Peabody Hotel had a walk-in shop with a lunch counter off 2nd. I think they had a soda fountain too. There was also a hotel restaurant with the word "cotton" in it.
Bon-Ton...tasty shrimp creole on Fridays.
There was that deli on Front Street run by the little old fellow who looked like Rudy Valentino.
Lowensteins lunch counter.
100 North Main cafeteria.
Little Tea Shoppe - it's still there. I always loved that place.

South Memphis/Midtown -
Leonard's on McLemore - IMO best Bar-B-Que in town.
Anderton's on Madison - good all around.
Pappy & Jimmy's on Hollywood - good NOLA style and great oysters on the 1/2.
Western Steakhouse & Lounge on Madison - remember Elvis' favorite booth?
Justine's - it was there too.
Plantation Inn - wasn't there a place with that name? East Parkway maybe?
Public Eye - on the Square.
Ray Gammons - on Summer - you ate there if you went to Southwestern.
Waggon Wheel - on Summer - ditto.
Shoney's on Summer - it was a super big-time teen hang out - place to show off fast cars, exactly like Mel's Diner in American Graffitti.

East -
Baretta's - Park and Highland - I think the last of the curb-service drive-in eat-in-your-car under the awning spots. Consistently good BBQ and Italian..."make mine pulled white meat, extra slaw, extra sauce and a draft Mic"...how many times I said that!!
Buntyn's Cafe - on Southern - extremely popular home style - Thursday was always BBQ chicken day, my favorite meal there.

There were other east Memphis BBQ drive-ins, but they went back farther than the 80s/90s. Here's one that makes the time cut-off - Smoky Ridge BBQ on Winchester. Terrific food. This place burnt down I think in the late 80s.

There was also a real good restaurant out on 78 on the south side up on a hill, somewhat east of Perkins. It may have been the Cotton Boll. And if you wanted to broaden this to the surrounding area, I'd include Snowden House at Horseshoe Lake. That's just eats, but I guess enough for now...

Last edited by Ginsaw; 02-22-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis