Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

I will move to the Memphis area soon. I am considering Christian Brothers HS for my son. Does anyone have thoughts to share about this school, academic and otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
From what I understand, this is still a very good, very old school. The structure itself is new, out on Walnut Grove in east Memphis (I think it used to be in town next to CBU).

The only problem I have with the school is the MASSIVE construction work on the road/interstate right next to it which causes the most insane traffic jams I have ever seen in my life. I refuse to drive over there now.

But that's irrelevant to the school itself, other than for your kid to drive to and from school. The school itself is good.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 30,972 times
I can only tell you that they have a large drug problem, the saying goes that CBHS stands for cocaine buyer's high school. That said, many public schools in Memphis also have the same reputation and my children went to public schools without becoming involved in drugs. Traffic is also horrible in that area as pearlbob mentioned, construction for that area is not scheduled to be completed til December of 2008. Baptist Hospital is right across the street and the traffic from the high school, the hospital and the construction mess all make it an area to avoid.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
There are many excellent private schools in Memphis and many mediocre private schools in Memphis. CBHS is definitely one of the excellent ones. A couple of others with high academic standards are Saint George's, MUS, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Lausanne. As the others said, there is massive traffic congestion around CBHS. I don't think the drug problem at CBHS is any more pronounced than at any other Memphis-area school. My students here at U.T. who went to CBHS are among the brightest and most well-prepared for college as any.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
No, I have heard every school, including the "elite" Germantown and Collierville high schools, mentioned as "drug schools" on the news before. I have never heard of CBHS being a stand-out in that. Drugs are rampant at all schools, in all cities, in all states nowadays. You can make up little acronyms for anything, that's basically a way for other students to make fun of that school (Stephen F. Austin University = Students For Alcohol, being one of my favorite).

I'd call the school and specifically ask them what they are doign about the traffic situation. We're serious here....I sat on the off ramp for over 30 minutes the other day trying to get to a doctor appt by Baptist East (across the street from CBHS). It's not just a little traffic....they are tearing down the whole street/bridge and rebuilding it, along with tearing into CBHS's land by their football field and then re-routing traffic sort of at an angle towards CBHS. Hard to explain...but it's a nightmare. It might mean your kid having to wake up and leave the house literally an hour earlier just to get to school on time.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 93,818 times
As a former Collierville student, I can vouch that CBHS is the school all the kids kicked out of Germantown, Houston, and Collierville High School go to.

It does have a drug problem.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,690 times
My neighbor withdrew her son from CBHS last year because of the drug problem. He ended up at Briarcrest.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 14,450 times
I was wondering if any of the people on this forum have any personal relationship with a student, faculty member, or almunus of this school. It is apparent that some of you have no clue what CBHS teaches the students. It is a known fact that every school has its problems, but no one on this forum has shown what CBHS has done to fix the problems. CBHS started a Drug Testing program in 2000 and every year the number of students found on drugs are in the single digits. It is unfair to point the finger at a school that has been trying to fix its problems. Every year CBHS graduates receive over 5,000,000 in scholarships and always have a second home at 5900 Walnut Grove. The school spends alot of money on security of the campus and have some of the best facilities money can buy. Also the traffic problem will be solved at the end of 2007. The Department of TN has been widening Walnut Grove and putting in several new on and off ramps to the interstate to decrease the amount of traffic. For all of you that have had negative comments about Christian Brothers High School you need to re-evaluate what you say about a CHRISTIAN environment and also you need to think before you falsley accuse a school of having drug problems.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extemporaneously View Post
I will move to the Memphis area soon. I am considering Christian Brothers HS for my son. Does anyone have thoughts to share about this school, academic and otherwise?

Your money would not be wasted on the kind of education and oppurtunities your son would receive if he went to this institution. Most of the people that commented have no history or knowledge on how the school is run and what problems it has. Most of the negative comments come from jealous people that we have either beat in athletic/academic events or parents that wish they had the resources to send their child to the school.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordovamom View Post
I can only tell you that they have a large drug problem, the saying goes that CBHS stands for cocaine buyer's high school. That said, many public schools in Memphis also have the same reputation and my children went to public schools without becoming involved in drugs. Traffic is also horrible in that area as pearlbob mentioned, construction for that area is not scheduled to be completed til December of 2008. Baptist Hospital is right across the street and the traffic from the high school, the hospital and the construction mess all make it an area to avoid.

What do you know about a drug problem. I have heard Cordova has some of the biggest drug problems in the state of TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis