Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

I write you from a motel, as I can no longer safely be at my house at night. It's been overrun with certain types that my neighbor brought into my world. I have the videotape, the pics, etc. The harassment level has just escalated to a point where I have spent the last 3 out of 4 nights in a motel. I have 24 hours worth of video of my neighbor just staring at my house from my other neighbor's yard.

I've taken pics each morning the last four days with my digital from a step stool in my bedroom. I've captured four men dressed in either masks or make-up in my next door neighbor's yard. She's elderly and says the trespassing "problem" has been going on for two or three years. She won't report them as she fears them.

So I have quite the conundrum. I am to meet with a private investigator tomorrow but his fees are more than I can afford. I could rent an apartment for what he charges for 1.5 night's surveillance. I own the house and always felt safe during the day - until today when I saw the guy with the mohawk in my backyard. This is not the first time I've seen him in a pic.

What would you do? I've sent the pics of the masked trespassers to the police as a follow up to a request for one that I took. Also, a guy stopped by my house to ask if I wanted to buy firewood. Guess what...I live in Phoenix in an all electric subdivision and he did not stop at anyone else's house on the block. He resembled one of the guys in the photo I gave to the police. Additionally, when I told the police about this they said they had never heard of such a thing before - someone selling firewood up my way.

My nerves are shot and it seems like no one will help. Or shall I say that help comes from those we least expect it. I found this to be true when my dad died and now it's happening again - the ones I thought I could count on have bailed, while others less close have stepped up to the plate. Still, my nerves have had it and I fear each night as I never know what is going to happen.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-15-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,790 times
Seems like you are taking a round a bout way of getting the police involved...when they are standing in your neighbors yard call 911. Tell them what is happening and that you are very afraid. If they do it again call 911 again...and call everytime they are there. Do NOT warn them that you will call the police or engage them in any conversation. If you feel they are menacing enough keep your keys at your side at all times. You can activate your car alarm from inside your house and leave it on until your neighbors either call the police or come over to check on you. Get a can of Bee and Wasp Killer...this is much more effective then Mace... has a longer "shooting" distance (Mace 4-8 feet, Bee and Wasp Killer 15-20 feet) Mace is simply an irritant, Bee and Wasp Killer is poison- it can KILL a cat, as such, the person you spray will require medical attention especially if you spray them in the face and on exposed skin. If the police refuse to get involved then call the media with your pics and video and ask why the police refuse to get involved.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I write you from a motel, as I can no longer safely be at my house at night. It's been overrun with certain types that my neighbor brought into my world. I have the videotape, the pics, etc. The harassment level has just escalated to a point where I have spent the last 3 out of 4 nights in a motel. I have 24 hours worth of video of my neighbor just staring at my house from my other neighbor's yard.

I've taken pics each morning the last four days with my digital from a step stool in my bedroom. I've captured four men dressed in either masks or make-up in my next door neighbor's yard. She's elderly and says the trespassing "problem" has been going on for two or three years. She won't report them as she fears them.

So I have quite the conundrum. I am to meet with a private investigator tomorrow but his fees are more than I can afford. I could rent an apartment for what he charges for 1.5 night's surveillance. I own the house and always felt safe during the day - until today when I saw the guy with the mohawk in my backyard. This is not the first time I've seen him in a pic.

What would you do? I've sent the pics of the masked trespassers to the police as a follow up to a request for one that I took. Also, a guy stopped by my house to ask if I wanted to buy firewood. Guess what...I live in Phoenix in an all electric subdivision and he did not stop at anyone else's house on the block. He resembled one of the guys in the photo I gave to the police. Additionally, when I told the police about this they said they had never heard of such a thing before - someone selling firewood up my way.

My nerves are shot and it seems like no one will help. Or shall I say that help comes from those we least expect it. I found this to be true when my dad died and now it's happening again - the ones I thought I could count on have bailed, while others less close have stepped up to the plate. Still, my nerves have had it and I fear each night as I never know what is going to happen.
wow.
I really don't know...
Can the police send a car around at random times? (let me guess, too under-resourced)??

Have you spoke to other people living in the street?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Seems like you are taking a round a bout way of getting the police involved...when they are standing in your neighbors yard call 911. Tell them what is happening and that you are very afraid. If they do it again call 911 again...and call everytime they are there. Do NOT warn them that you will call the police or engage them in any conversation. If you feel they are menacing enough keep your keys at your side at all times. You can activate your car alarm from inside your house and leave it on until your neighbors either call the police or come over to check on you. Get a can of Bee and Wasp Killer...this is much more effective then Mace... has a longer "shooting" distance (Mace 4-8 feet, Bee and Wasp Killer 15-20 feet) Mace is simply an irritant, Bee and Wasp Killer is poison- it can KILL a cat, as such, the person you spray will require medical attention especially if you spray them in the face and on exposed skin. If the police refuse to get involved then call the media with your pics and video and ask why the police refuse to get involved.
Good ideas. Yes, I was given the tip about the wasp spray at this motel here. Right now I just have pepper spray. I know I am getting them involved in a round about way but it's only because they were not taking it seriously so I thought they would not watch the video. Then I contacted the PI (who deals with the police instead of me) but his fees are way too much for me. Instead it's cheaper to just leave my house and stay at a motel.

For some crazy reason I'm being told that I cannot report trespassers in my neighbor's yard. I'm also being told it's not illegal to stare at someone's house. When I said I wanted to file a stalking report they said they had to see if it was "reportable." I am getting the run around from the police. At least with Saturday's firewood incident and that photo I am hoping they'll take things more seriously. The officer gets in on Thursday and I will call him then (he'll have the pics by then) and I guess the media is always an option. I've never thought about it seriously but it's a good idea too. Since you live here, you know what you're talking about. I'll wait until Thursday, see what kind of feedback I get from this officer, and then move forward.

In the meantime, I have to decide what to do with myself each night. I am getting a sore throat and not eating from all of this. I find myself in a state of hyper-vigilance even at the motel.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
wow.
I really don't know...
Can the police send a car around at random times? (let me guess, too under-resourced)??

Have you spoke to other people living in the street?
Yes, I've spoken to the elderly woman next door who will not report the problem and to the neighbor next to her. The neighbor next to her keeps her alarm system on at all times and this is a NICE neighborhood. She also keeps a sticker on her door that she is armed.

Yes, the police are under-staffed and the PI told me assaults have increased by 70% against police officers. People are angry he said.

A car at random would do no good as all the action is in the back. Also, I called the city to see about clearing the wash as it's overgrown and no one ever called me back. I'll have to call again.

I know who is behind this and his property abuts the wash. How convenient.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Good ideas. Yes, I was given the tip about the wasp spray at this motel here. Right now I just have pepper spray. I know I am getting them involved in a round about way but it's only because they were not taking it seriously so I thought they would not watch the video. Then I contacted the PI (who deals with the police instead of me) but his fees are way too much for me. Instead it's cheaper to just leave my house and stay at a motel.

For some crazy reason I'm being told that I cannot report trespassers in my neighbor's yard. I'm also being told it's not illegal to stare at someone's house. When I said I wanted to file a stalking report they said they had to see if it was "reportable." I am getting the run around from the police. At least with Saturday's firewood incident and that photo I am hoping they'll take things more seriously. The officer gets in on Thursday and I will call him then (he'll have the pics by then) and I guess the media is always an option. I've never thought about it seriously but it's a good idea too. Since you live here, you know what you're talking about. I'll wait until Thursday, see what kind of feedback I get from this officer, and then move forward.

In the meantime, I have to decide what to do with myself each night. I am getting a sore throat and not eating from all of this. I find myself in a state of hyper-vigilance even at the motel.
Who is telling you these things? I have called the police many times to report trespassers in a neighbors yard and someone always came to check it out. If the police are the ones saying this I would go right to the media. It will be your neighbor that will have to press charges I'm sure but the police can at least tell them to leave.
But! it's illegal if they are wearing masks or make-up to conceal their identity. Plus, the fact that they are doing these things at night is menacing and disturbs your "sense of safety and peace".

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Yes, I've spoken to the elderly woman next door who will not report the problem and to the neighbor next to her. The neighbor next to her keeps her alarm system on at all times and this is a NICE neighborhood. She also keeps a sticker on her door that she is armed.

Yes, the police are under-staffed and the PI told me assaults have increased by 70% against police officers. People are angry he said.

A car at random would do no good as all the action is in the back. Also, I called the city to see about clearing the wash as it's overgrown and no one ever called me back. I'll have to call again.

I know who is behind this and his property abuts the wash. How convenient.

Do you have a sticker and alarm as well? a big barking dog? (running out of ideas! )

Call again to have it cleared.... maybe need to let the elderly lady know you will support her if she makes the complaint.....

Call police again and try to report it, might be worth trying another officer?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Who is telling you these things? I have called the police many times to report trespassers in a neighbors yard and someone always came to check it out. If the police are the ones saying this I would go right to the media. It will be your neighbor that will have to press charges I'm sure but the police can at least tell them to leave.
But! it's illegal if they are wearing masks or make-up to conceal their identity. Plus, the fact that they are doing these things at night is menacing and disturbs your "sense of safety and peace".
It's not Phoenix PD, rather another PD which I'd rather not say. They are telling me that SHE has to report this. They also told me within the last couple of days that it's not illegal to stare into someone's yard, or was that just today when I called in a panic...at any rate I think it was last Thursday I spoke with them wanting to file a stalking report and they had to see if it was "reportable." Since when does this happen?!

AND I had no idea it's illegal to wear masks or make-up. The reason I am thinking things might have escalated is because I DID stand on a step stool and get their pics. One guy really wasn't disguised, and that was the guy who came to my house. Today I took multiple shots and they were ALL looking into my yard. I had a bunch of brush cleared away today along the tree line to make it harder to hide, and it seems to have had an odd effect, in that now everyone wants to see what I did and perhaps it's the photos I have! Little do they know the police already have them, but I'm thinking they might not know this and pose a threat to me because of this!

As far as menacing at night, you have no idea. This is why I'm here and not at home.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Do you have a sticker and alarm as well? a big barking dog? (running out of ideas! )

Call again to have it cleared.... maybe need to let the elderly lady know you will support her if she makes the complaint.....

Call police again and try to report it, might be worth trying another officer?
I have the stickers, the alarm that's monitored, the CCTV system. I've done just about everything I can.

I have thought about talking to the elderly lady again, but she lives alone and has no alarm system, etc. I can support her all I want, but if she's afraid of retaliation, well...

I have a small barking dog who went crazy last night. Part of the reason I left. Tonight I saw a couple of guys in my yard on the CCTV and it wasn't like last night (where I'd swear I saw a weapon) and I still had to go. Like I said, my nerves are shot. I just had to get out of there. This is a nightly occurrence, except the weapons part is new. I can see shadows and I have two palm trees. Well, the shadows were of two cowboy hats and two long objects pointing upward.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 AM

Motion sensor lighting!! to flood your whole back yard with light if they come into your backyard. If they are in your backyard they are trespassing on your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health