Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
On top of that when these anti-dep addicts see or deal with someone who is capable of having NORMAL emotions and feelings they they label THEM as having a mental disorder such as bipolar depression etc.

It's really disgusting,one more reason to reform wall street,brainwashing people for profit.The current American way.
Pretty much how I feel too and I'm not from this country. It's all about money and greed. The have nots are blamed and chastised by the haves. I feel like if you don't measure up to what society expects, you're an outcast and there must be something wrong with you. This is the same country that seems to glorify other forms of mental illness, such as narcissism, sociopathy and lack of empathy...these are considered good attributes to make it in this society. You have to dehumanise and obey your corporate masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
I went through hell last year with my son's counselor over meds. My son didnt adjust to our relocation well and to be honest neither did I. I figured it was just regular blues that we would work through but when my son started to really slip in school, became anti social and seemed overall down all the time I became concerned. School was always a struggle anyway. Academically he can handle it, he just doesn't really like school over all. I had him tested several times for ADHD but it always came back he was just immature. When he started showing major signs of depression I took him to a counselor. The guy seemed pretty cool at first. He said in school ADHD testing wasn't very accurate and for us to see a psychologist that specialized in it. So we did that. She said it appeared to her that my son was not really ADHD but the other form ADD inattentive type. She said its very common for this to be missed because inattentive types are well behaved, sit still in class and appear to know what is going on. In reality they are turned off but have the look they are on. The old saying the squeaky wheel gets the most attention. A kid bouncing off the walls or not sitting still is going to draw more attention than the child sitting quietly. The testing was expensive, wow a whole lot more than I ever imagined but we got it done. He scored pretty high on inattentive type. The counselor got the results and suggested ADD meds and anti depressants. Whoa...hold up. Why anti depressants too?

He said that it would help my son open up. Ya, well so will a bottle of whiskey but I am not doing that. I will pay for as many counseling visits as possible. I said I wanted to see how the ADD meds worked out first. I wasn't that knowledgable about them in the first place and after googling my brain out I was concerned. There can be some serious side affects. The counselor couldnt prescribe the ADD meds and set us up for appt with a psychiatrist but the wait was 6 months. Ugh. School would be over by then. I also wanted to talk to our regular medical doctor about all of this and chose to speak with him first. I was armed with all my research and the test results from the psychologist. The MD said ADD meds would help my son and we discussed the side affects. He said he wanted to really look over the test results before prescribing. This meant a lot to me. I wasn't ready to jump on the med boat so quickly. I also discussed with him my concerns over the anti depressants. I wasn't keen on the idea. He wasn't either. He said lets try one thing at a time. If my son needed the anti depressants than we can look into that a little bit later. One thing at a time for now. I felt better and when we went back to the counselor I told him what the MD and I agreed on. Wow, was the counselor pissed!

He accused me of being anti med. Said I was hindering any future efforts. I was upset. We tried the ADD meds and after a month things started to change. School work slowly improved but my son wasn't sullen anymore. I even asked the MD if there was some sort of mood enhancer in the meds. He laughed and said no. He said when someone is disengaged for a while and unsure of new challenges in life, it can make one somewhat depressed. Well that makes sense. We went to the counselor for a few more months. The guy kept pushing the anti depressants. He then started to question if we had a deep family secret we didnt want our son to let him privy too. Right, deep secrets. We are as boring as they come. I knew we were done with the guy at this point. I'm glad he got us connected to the proper ADD testing but I didnt see how this guy was helping us beyond that point. Our son is thriving. Is he the best student? No, but is he thriving? Yes. He has become a social butterfly. More upbeat and even admitted that he was angry for a bit that we moved without consulting him. He felt he should have had a say. Well I get that and told him so. The move was hard. He admits now that he likes our new place better after he gave it a chance. I wonder what would have happened if we got him on all kinds of meds like the counselor wanted. Would he be a zombie from that stuff? I am not anti med at all, I just think its not the cure all for everything. Sometimes life just sucks and it takes a while to work it out. Sometimes you need something to help you get through.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times
Great Post.
Way too many people spend way too much time trying to fix others who don't want or don't need to be fixed!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
My son had some "problems", school bored him, he is ADHD, and all they wanted to do was medicate him. That was the "answer", let's just drug him up, good to go. They suggested Anti Depressants, ADD meds...

I said, "no, that is not the answer", and everyone acted like I was being difficult, and not caring about my child.

Meds are not the answer to all of life's problems. I wish more people understood that. I am very suspect of psycho-tropic medication, it is like throwing a dart, blindfolded, to see what works.

I find the drugging of children with random anti-depressant medication very alarming. Don't parents care about their kids? Maybe talking to them, and spending more time with them would be a good start, before just giving them meds.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son had some "problems", school bored him, he is ADHD, and all they wanted to do was medicate him. That was the "answer", let's just drug him up, good to go. They suggested Anti Depressants, ADD meds...

I said, "no, that is not the answer", and everyone acted like I was being difficult, and not caring about my child.

Meds are not the answer to all of life's problems. I wish more people understood that. I am very suspect of psycho-tropic medication, it is like throwing a dart, blindfolded, to see what works.

I find the drugging of children with random anti-depressant medication very alarming. Don't parents care about their kids? Maybe talking to them, and spending more time with them would be a good start, before just giving them meds.
It's good to hear from a parent who opts not to medicate.
I'm appalled at the way the medical establishment is treating children who are, after all, the canaries in the coal mines of a very imbalanced and disturbed culture.
To drug children is unconscionable imo.
It is not the answer ... ever.
When are people going to wake up and revolt against the pharmaceutical industry and "just say no!"?!
They are, imo, one of the most (if not the most) evil manifestations of capitalism and greed!
It's shameful.

Last edited by jaijai; 01-16-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's good to hear from a parent who opts not to medicate.
I'm appalled at the way the medical establishment is treating children who are, after all, the canaries in the coal mines of a very imbalanced and disturbed culture.
To drug children is unconscionable imo.
It is not the answer ... ever.
When are people going to wake up and revolt against the pharmaceutical industry and "just say no!"?!

They are, imo, one of the most (if not the most) evil manifestations of capitalism and greed! It's shameful.
Oh I couldn't agree more!! Insurance companies are right up there too!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 PM

135 posts, read 310,726 times
If antidepressants are dangerous in the long run, I am SCREWED royally. I've been on some kind of antidepressant since 1986! But, it's all about quality of life. I'm not depressed when I manage my depression with medication. I have absolutely nothing to be depressed about either; new home, not rich, but not worried about money, single, no children (my choice), etc. Clinical depression is a b***h, but it can be treated. What works for one person may not work for someone else. It's a matter of trial and error.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
There is nothing wrong with needing medication. There are people that need it. The problem comes in when some have unhappiness and chose to numb it instead of looking at other ways to change it. I think of my SIL that has been in an awful marriage for years. Her husband is toxic but she is afraid to be alone. She takes meds to numb herself. When her kids started acting out due to the home environment, she put them on meds too. It's a sad situation really. She is the main bread winner so finances are not an issue, heck the dead beat blows money left and right, if she got rid of him she would do even better. She lacks self esteem and unless I am unaware, I don't think there is a drug out there that cures that.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
When my father was literally on his death bed, with cancer that had metastasized into his spine and when he had, over the prior two weeks gone, from walking unassisted to being bedbound, the oncologist, in addition to prescribing much needed heavy pain medication, said he would start Dad on an antidepressant. I thought WTH, if anyone is entitled to be depressed he is!

As everyone else has said, sometimes life sucks and we're supposed to be sad. Clearly there are people who need medication to function because their depression is overwhelming and it is possible for them to feel better. But sometimes sadness is just what it is--sadness over a bad situation that is not going to change.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You are very astute. I once worked for a psychologist. A patient was coming in and we were discussing her issues and I said, "It seems like her problem is that she just needs money." And he agreed.

The reason everything under the sun is pathologized is the same reason: Money. The doctors aren't going to get rich if they say, "Oh, get over it. You have a crappy life. Suck it up."
The poster above is right. Money is all doctors care about. Hell, it's all anyone cares about. People who say money doesn't buy happiness are fools and probably already have financial stability. Money buys freedom and gets you out of societal prison. It may not literally buy happiness, but it does play a huge role.

Sometimes life sucks and not nobody, not a pill, nothing can change it but you and you alone. But think about it, if life were all peaches and rainbows all the time, then nothing would ever get done. We need to be challenged. Take on that challenge and grow and conquer. People get 'depressed' and fall into the belief that they cannot change anything about their crappy life. It CAN change, with time, but people are impatient. Granted there are some people who have it a lot worse than you do (not you personally, just in general) and quite literally cannot change anything about their situation. BUT they can make the best of it. What's the point in wallowing in self-pity and sadness all the time. Don't look down on others who try to still be happy despite bad things that have happened and wonder why they are not just unhappy. They made a choice not to let it bother them. Everyone has a choice. There is a story called the Soul and the Sun that you might benefit from reading. It's a cute story for children, but the message is universal. You cannot experience good without bad, up without down, left without right, then the peaches and rainbows wouldn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health