Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 09:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

You know what was interesting to me? I lost my darling husband unexpectedly a bit over three years ago. Now, clearly I needed something on the front end to deal with things, but my doc would only write a prescription for me for two weeks, and then I had to go back to her. She said then, "Your depression seems situational, not chronic, so as your situation improves, I feel like your mood will also improve." She did not write me a prescription for anti depressants or anti anxiety meds or whatever. I liked that actually. I felt like she knew me and knew that I wouldn't do all that well on meds. I remember her specifically saying, "In your case, meds would be like kicking a can down the road."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 10:16 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what was interesting to me? I lost my darling husband unexpectedly a bit over three years ago. Now, clearly I needed something on the front end to deal with things, but my doc would only write a prescription for me for two weeks, and then I had to go back to her. She said then, "Your depression seems situational, not chronic, so as your situation improves, I feel like your mood will also improve." She did not write me a prescription for anti depressants or anti anxiety meds or whatever. I liked that actually. I felt like she knew me and knew that I wouldn't do all that well on meds. I remember her specifically saying, "In your case, meds would be like kicking a can down the road."
Absolutely true.

My 911 "escape-mate" was given tranquilizers to deal with her PTSD and told by her family to get over it, since a distant cousin, a firefighter, had been killed and her trauma was given the "at least your not dead" attitude, accompanied by a few prescriptions.

It took her a year and some therapy before she returned to work after she decided to stop taking meds. She has no memory of attending a family wedding, but she also missed the opportunity to sort out her trauma and heal with her surviving coworkers who returned to put the agency back together.

Drugs can be useful in their place, but they are not always the answer. Grief cannot be medicated away.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Absolutely true.

Drugs can be useful in their place, but they are not always the answer. Grief cannot be medicated away.
I could not agree more.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 6,542 times
Default Good Enough Concept

There's a BIG difference in being unhappy and being clinically depressed. Many people, docs included, throw around the word depressed pretty casually. Depression has to meet strict clinical criteria. We can all be unhappy people or have depressing times. Some people exit the womb being fairly unhappy and stay that way their entire lives. And some people have personality disorders which contribute immensely to being unhappy. So much of how we feel depends on our genetics, environment, parentage, health, toxins, diets, life events, etc. There is an important concept garnering more attention these days: The concept of GOOD ENOUGH. Who knew that holding a concept of Good Enough and applying to any facet of our lives could actually result in achieving or experiencing higher standards and accomplishments?

Old 12-09-2023, 12:08 AM

994 posts, read 535,661 times
Zombie thread. Was first posted 12 years ago. Hopefully the op is not unhappy or depressed anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health