Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times

Advertisements

I don't know about that, I have met plenty of wealthy people who have lots of problems...and are definitely not happy. Money does not solve all of life's problems. That is our perception when we don't have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 46,107 times
lol... there is a clear distinction between unhappiness and depression.

I think the GPs you saw were not acting professionally.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
I guess people just want to cheer others up. Maybe they feel this is their duty or ?? Sometimes this can be really annoying and even arrogant. I ran into a stranger who tried to be this way with me the other day. I'm sure he "meant well" and had good intentions. But he definitely came across as a "know-it-all" and he didn't even begin to "know me" at all!...I was having a rough day and I was under a lot of stress and pressure and trying to deal with it in my own way. He's the one who tried to strike-up a conversation not me! I was just minding my own business...His "know-it-all" ways really turned me off. I don't want to be singled-out and told "how I should be" according to a stranger! How weird!...Later in the day I ran into a lady I've known for a little while and she offered me some compassion and empathy and a big hug! This really helped me. She didn't put me down for having an "off day." She knew that I was under a lot of stress and pressure and she "felt for me." And she wanted to comfort me and this was what I needed the most that day! I needed a "loving mom" not some strange guy putting me down!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 AM

I don't want to stay unhappy day and night. I don't want to wrap my whole identity around being unhappy...But sometimes it takes awhile to "work through" and process all my feelings and get back to a better state of mind...This is always my goal. I still want to find reasons to be happy and positive despite all my problems. I don't want to be miserable and unhappy all the time because this doesn't feel good at all!...I want to achieve a sense of balance so I won't go off the "deep end." And get to a point where there is no joy or happiness left in life at all!.. But I don't want to "sweep" anything "under the rug" either. I want to process and understand all that I feel. I want to be "real" and not just "phony happy." How about you?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Clinical depression = "chemical changes in the brain": is this a chicken or egg problem?

Perhaps there are chemical changes because you are depressed. In this case, medication may still be unnecessary.

There is no doubt in my mind that Americans are grossly overmedicated. It is tragic really.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,420 times
I dont know about depression or medication but I tell you this, most people are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all.

People talk about how great love is, but that's bull****. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing.

People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they're afraid to feel?

Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a smart phone.

You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters.

Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Lately there have been a spate of articles about anti-depressants not working any better than a placebo. The below link is a long article with a ton of interesting information.
What is not mentioned in these articles when discussing the number of people pills actually helped vs. the number of people prescribed pills which has doubled and tripled since around 2005 - is that maybe the reason the pills don't work isn't that the whole role of serotonin is wrong, but that these 'depressed' people don't have organic brain issues. They are just unhappy. Whether they were born that way or have reason to be, an unhappy not depressed person won't be helped by antidepressants.

Why Antidepressants Are No Better Than Placebos - The Daily Beast

Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM

I think we're affected by our parents and early upbringing. If we grow up in a family where people complain a lot it's bound to affect us. Someone who enjoys being happy and positive is going to stick out like a sore thumb in this type of family and seem like a weirdo...And in the end they may walk around depressed and unhappy and complain a lot just to fit-in...I've been in group situations or spent time with families where it's just not normal to be very happy. I think it's easy to become a product of our environment. (Whether it's our family of origin or our current family and circle of friends.) How do you feel about it?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,667,194 times
There is such a thing as, situational or circumstantial depression.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know about that, I have met plenty of wealthy people who have lots of problems...and are definitely not happy. Money does not solve all of life's problems. That is our perception when we don't have any.
Money doesn't cure everything but enables one to have a great many more choices in life. If one becomes ill they can have the best docs and cutting edge treatment, they can live a stress free lifestyle if they choose. Most of the very wealthy people make their own problems. Rather than doing good works with their money most are selfish egocentric types living a grossly glutenous lifestyle. When they get bored with life they often turn to drugs, booze, gambling, and affairs. If they are unhappy it is usually of their own making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health